"Happy Holidays" political correctness

Z

zuchick

Originally posted by TripleJ
Hmmn? I'm an athiest, I tend to think we are all athiest, I simply believe in one less god than say Zuchick.... I still can't believe that there are those that use Pascal's Wager in an attempt to promote their religious beliefs? This has been destroyed many times over by both secular and nonsecular parties..... something you could get away at a teen bible study, but be embarassed by in adult circles if you brought it up...... Any way.... I'm not insulted or offended when someone wishes me a merry christmass, I like the season, I believe in Santa and like the good cheer that brings, so Merry Christmas everyone :cheers:

Triplej, got no problems with you being atheist, though personally I do not believe there is such a thing, but I think a person can believe as they wish and should be respected for their beliefs. I tend to get more respect regarding my beliefs from those who proclaim themselves to be Atheist then those who say they are Christians. But if you ever need prayer said for you or one of your loved one, send me a PM and I would be humbled to pray for you. However I'm a simple man and have no idea what "Pascal's Wager" is.. Think you could possibly enlighten me?

TripleJ

Thanks for your offer of the prayer, Like you, I respect another's right to believe as they will. In regard to your question about Pascal's Wager: If I believe in god an am wrong there is no harm done. If on the other hand, I don't believe in god, and am wrong there is great harm.
You can find websites on the subject and will find that it is filled with holes and has no ethical value.

Z

zuchick

Thanks for your offer of the prayer, Like you, I respect another's right to believe as they will. In regard to your question about Pascal's Wager: If I believe in god an am wrong there is no harm done. If on the other hand, I don't believe in god, and am wrong there is great harm.
You can find websites on the subject and will find that it is filled with holes and has no ethical value.

LOL Like minds I reckon, like minds.. But because someone has poked holes in anothers idea does not imply the idea had no merit to start with..

But I think I would rather believe and be wrong then not believe and risk my eternal soul..

TripleJ

Ok, I can respect that you think that you are believing in the right one, I only hope that if you are wrong, that the right one won't be to mad at you for believing a false god, I think a god would respect a person that didn't believe in him a little more than he would a person that worshiped a false god......... and I would think a god would have very little respect for a person that only believed in him, not out of following his word, but, simply because they didn't want to "risk" being punished.:cheers:

BudoPo

I never felt offended when someone said wished me a merry Christmas. It usually just reminds me that I'm not Christian (or, perhaps more precisely, that I'm in a small minority) and kind of firms up my desire to maintain my heritage. It also reminds me of this country's diversity, which I think is a good thing.

I can't really see how someone would be offended.

Someone stopped by at work a couple of weeks ago, collecting a dollar from everyone for a group Christmas tree. At first, I wasn't going to give them it, but I figured the tree brings a joyful feeling to most of my coworkers, so I gave her a buck. (I have to admit, though, that I have second thoughts about it now)

Z

zuchick

Originally posted by Tonio
My idea of political correctness is "Happy Holidays." It sounds like a pathetic attempt to not ignore non-Christians during Christmas.

In my workplace (non-government) we had someone give a Christian prayer before our annual awards dinner. Unlike some of the extremists in the ACLU, I have no problem with that.

But also, unlike some of the extremists in the Christian Coalition, I think we should recognize other religions during these type of events. Some of my co-workers are Jews and Hindus, and if I ran the awards dinner, I would ask one person from each of these faiths to say a short prayer before the Christian prayer. And if the workplace is setting up a Christmas tree in the lobby, why not invite some Jewish employees to set up a menorah?

Sounds like a much better solution than watering down Christmas for somebody's twisted idea of inclusion.

Christmas is for the Christians not the Jews, Muslims or Hindus, but for the Christians.. During Hanukkah I have no problem seeing the Menorah or other religious symbols during other religions on their Holy Days. I have no desire to participate, so do not expect me to do so, but have no problems with others who do. I may have problems seeing human sacrifice, but as long as I'm not the one being sacrificed.. No problem. As long as the religious presentation is not obscene or goes against the morals of the Community.. But Christmas.. All this bit about being Politically Correct is BS (Bull Stuff). If you hurt my feelings I'm going to take you to court.. Silliness.. If you hurt my feeling I'll most likely tell you about it and walk off.

TripleJ

Re: Re: "Happy Holidays" political correctness

Originally posted by zuchick
Christmas is for the Christians not the Jews, Muslims or Hindus, but for the Christians.. During Hanukkah I have no problem seeing the Menorah or other religious symbols during other religions on their Holy Days. I have no desire to participate, so do not expect me to do so, but have no problems with others who do. I may have problems seeing human sacrifice, but as long as I'm not the one being sacrificed.. No problem. As long as the religious presentation is not obscene or goes against the morals of the Community.. But Christmas.. All this bit about being Politically Correct is BS (Bull Stuff). If you hurt my feelings I'm going to take you to court.. Silliness.. If you hurt my feeling I'll most likely tell you about it and walk off.
Now you lost me? if you have a problem with human sacrafice, or something being obscene or going against morals, I don't understand how you are a christian? What could be more imoral or obscene than having to look at a naked man nailed to a cross presented as a human sacrafice? I understand your point that as long as you are not the one being sacraficed it doesn't bother you. We all have our degrees of tolerance. Still the god that this human sacrafice is being made to stated that it was an abomination to make a human sacrafice and yet, this is not the only human sacrafice that he accepted. And, as far as the victim not being you? As I understand it, this person stated, that if one is to follow him they would have to pick up their own cross? As far as christmas being for christians, I don't find this to be true. Christians weren't introduced to the holiday until the third century, and that was when an emporer combined two faiths of that day into one. One could easily say that christmas is a pagan holiday as well. How many christians put up pagan symbols on their home during the holiday? An evergreen tree, a reath. yule tide log? Or, even practice they custum of giving gifts on this date? Well, I'm not christian or pagan, and I put up a tree and lights around my house. I like the season and celebrate it in my own way. What any one wishes me, what ever their beliefs I wish them a happy one right back. To me, Santa is the reason for the season, after all, go to any mall in this country, you will find a long line of children waiting to see someone and get their picture taken with him. I'll give you a clue it's not Jesus they are waiting to see. Anyway Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday everyone :cheers:

Z

zuchick

Re: Re: Re: "Happy Holidays" political correctness

Now you lost me?

Understandable.

if you have a problem with human sacrafice, or something being obscene or going against morals, I don't understand how you are a christian?

I am striving to be a Christian (Orthodox) which will be determined by the Lord upon my Particular Judgement, may He have mercy on me a sinner. But you ask how.. Simple, I believe in God the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit One God. I believe this One God created all things known and unknown, visible and invisible, good and evil and that All Things be His Will and in His Plan. I believe Christos is the Only Begotten Son of God. I believe the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father alone. I believe in One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church and One Baptism in the name of God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, One God.. I believe Christ died on the Cross and on the third day he was ressurected and sets on the Right Hand of the Heavenly Father. I believe in the Orthodox Way of Life which is a Life of Prayer and self denial, worship and devotion.

What could be more imoral or obscene than having to look at a naked man nailed to a cross presented as a human sacrafice? I understand your point that as long as you are not the one being sacraficed it doesn't bother you.

I agree, it was immoral and obscene to see my Lord and God hanging on the Cross and to know that He was there because of my sin, but the Sacrifice is His to give and he gave it freely.

We all have our degrees of tolerance. Still the god that this human sacrafice is being made to stated that it was an abomination to make a human sacrafice and yet, this is not the only human sacrafice that he accepted.

You speak as if you do not understand the Dual Nature of Christos and the Prophesy. He is both God and Man. In the Word of God you will find reference to "what better give can a man give for his brother then to sacrifice hisown life so that the other may live" and that Christ who could have came down from the cross if He wanted to remained on the cross for us that we would know His way is the Only Truth one needs to be concerned with. Yes Human Sacrifice is horrible.. Any sacrifice is terrible, but sometimes it is called for and those who give it do so out of their Charity for others.

And, as far as the victim not being you? As I understand it, this person stated, that if one is to follow him they would have to pick up their own cross?

But there are many different ways one can "pick up theirown cross" some do it via pain and suffering of giving of themselves. Some try by giving a few dollars to the needy, some do it by praying for others in need.. Many many different ways to pickup yourown cross and follow Christos.

As far as christmas being for christians, I don't find this to be true. Christians weren't introduced to the holiday until the third century, and that was when an emporer combined two faiths of that day into one.

I must disagree with you on this one.. The first two Christians were introduce to Christmas upon the Birth of my Lord and God.. There names were Mary the Blessed Theotokos and Most Holy Mother of God. The other was St Joseph. But the combining of two faiths is absurd for me there is and always has been One Faith only. Christianity/

One could easily say that christmas is a pagan holiday as well.

Oh I agree 100%.. I could also say I can fly, but saying it does not lend credence to it. Had a discussion with one who was pagan.. He said that Christmas is a pagan Holiday simply because it falls on a particular day of the year which suggested to me that this person felt that pagans had some monopoly on the days of the year.. I told them that I am sure that the days Christ's Nativity falls on Dec 25th (New Calendar) or Jan 7th (Old Calendar) fall on a number of different days, btu Christianity claims it to be theirown Holy Days so it is..

How many christians put up pagan symbols on their home during the holiday? An evergreen tree, a reath. yule tide log? Or, even practice they custum of giving gifts on this date?

My family and I do as many do in Russia and Serbia on Jan 7th.

Well, I'm not christian or pagan,

I still love ya.

and I put up a tree and lights around my house. I like the season and celebrate it in my own way. What any one wishes me, what ever their beliefs I wish them a happy one right back. To me, Santa is the reason for the season, after all, go to any mall in this country, you will find a long line of children waiting to see someone and get their picture taken with him. I'll give you a clue it's not Jesus they are waiting to see. Anyway Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday everyone :cheers:

You say Santa is the reason for the season which is fine by me, but I consider Christ's Nativity is the reason for the season.. But then I'm rather old fashion. ):wink:

And a Blessed Nativity's Feast to you and yours. (Smile):wink:

BudoPo

Re: Re: Re: "Happy Holidays" political correctness

Now you lost me? if you have a problem with human sacrafice, or something being obscene or going against morals, I don't understand how you are a christian? What could be more imoral or obscene than having to look at a naked man nailed to a cross presented as a human sacrafice? I understand your point that as long as you are not the one being sacraficed it doesn't bother you. We all have our degrees of tolerance. Still the god that this human sacrafice is being made to stated that it was an abomination to make a human sacrafice and yet, this is not the only human sacrafice that he accepted. And, as far as the victim not being you? As I understand it, this person stated, that if one is to follow him they would have to pick up their own cross? As far as christmas being for christians, I don't find this to be true. Christians weren't introduced to the holiday until the third century, and that was when an emporer combined two faiths of that day into one. One could easily say that christmas is a pagan holiday as well. How many christians put up pagan symbols on their home during the holiday? An evergreen tree, a reath. yule tide log? Or, even practice they custum of giving gifts on this date? Well, I'm not christian or pagan, and I put up a tree and lights around my house. I like the season and celebrate it in my own way. What any one wishes me, what ever their beliefs I wish them a happy one right back. To me, Santa is the reason for the season, after all, go to any mall in this country, you will find a long line of children waiting to see someone and get their picture taken with him. I'll give you a clue it's not Jesus they are waiting to see. Anyway Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday everyone :cheers:

Around 325 C.E. (or so, I really don't remember for sure), theologians still hadn't figured out the exact date of Jesus' birth (having happened more than 300 years earlier, details get lost). Saturnalia was a Roman holiday that occured at the winter solstice, and was a pretty festive event. It was decided to use this festival to help bring pagans into Christianity (by allowing them to convert and keep their festivities), thus 12/25 became Christmas.

I'm not Christian, but I'd think whether or not 12/25 is the actual date isn't too important. It's the celebration of the event, not the detail, that counts here. (just my opinion)

TripleJ

very typical responses Zuchick, when it calls for a literal responce and suits your purposes you give one, when this fails you alter it to a spiritual responce, (of course one I could not understand, being a heathen and all).
I am striving to be a Christian (Orthodox) which will be determined by the Lord upon my Particular Judgement
You have stated your beliefs and I respect this, I don't want this to turn into a debate, as this is not a debate channel. I just find them to be contrary, as I sure different sects of your faith would.

I agree, it was immoral and obscene to see my Lord and God hanging on the Cross and to know that He was there because of my sin, but the Sacrifice is His to give and he gave it freely.
I don't find this to be true? Do you remember his ordeal in the garden? And, What of the little girl who's father sacraficed her to god? Neither of them was truly willing.
Any sacrifice is terrible, but sometimes it is called for and those who give it do so out of their Charity for others.
Again, it is your god that claims it is an abomination to sacrafice a human life. You can't have it both ways here? If there is a sacrafice then the life was lost. What sacrafice is there if the sacrafice is renged upon and the life restored. Or is of a god that has a dual nature and has no comparason with a human life.

But there are many different ways one can "pick up their own cross"
Here again we go from literal to a spiritual meaning. I can accept this as your beliefs, as this makes perfectly good sense to me.

But the combining of two faiths is absurd for me there is and always has been One Faith only. Christianity/
I'm glad you left that "to me" at the end of your statment. What you have done with this reply is demonstrated in what I call the ostridge reflex as it applies to christians. An ostridge when faced with danger will bury its head in the sand. It feels that if it can not see the danger it does not exist. A christian when presented with the truth, will bury its head in faith. It feels that if it can not see the truth it will not exist. If you have the strength, and you are sure that your faith can handle it I suggest you do a little research on the roman empire at the time of Constatine. You will find you are quite in error as to your opinion of the christian faith and that of the pagan. You will find it quite interesting in fact to do a little research on Christmas, and find it interesting I'm sure that it was banned by the christian church for many years. My friend, there are many many faiths in the world, they are all dependant upon the individual. To suggest that there is only one, to me is absurd.
btu Christianity claims it to be theirown Holy Days so it is..
Any one can make a cliam, just as you suggest? Your twisting of my words to suit your purpose was unjust though? I made my claim upon presenting facts where it seems yours was only to insult? Constatine incorporated Dec. 25th as a christian holiday because it was already a day of traditional celebration and it was much more easier to convince the two faiths. That is a fact you will just have to come to grips with.

I still love ya.
There is only love in my heart for you as well.

You say Santa is the reason for the season which is fine by me, but I consider Christ's Nativity is the reason for the season.. But then I'm rather old fashion. )

And a Blessed Nativity's Feast to you and yours. (Smile)
That is fine, we agree to disagree. May you and your family have a very Blessed Nativity's Feast and a wonderful new year to follow.

Z

zuchick

very typical responses Zuchick, when it calls for a literal responce and suits your purposes you give one, when this fails you alter it to a spiritual responce, (of course one I could not understand, being a heathen and all).
I am striving to be a Christian (Orthodox) which will be determined by the Lord upon my Particular Judgement
You have stated your beliefs and I respect this, I don't want this to turn into a debate, as this is not a debate channel. I just find them to be contrary, as I sure different sects of your faith would.

I don't find this to be true? Do you remember his ordeal in the garden? And, What of the little girl who's father sacraficed her to god? Neither of them was truly willing.
Any sacrifice is terrible, but sometimes it is called for and those who give it do so out of their Charity for others.
Again, it is your god that claims it is an abomination to sacrafice a human life. You can't have it both ways here? If there is a sacrafice then the life was lost. What sacrafice is there if the sacrafice is renged upon and the life restored. Or is of a god that has a dual nature and has no comparason with a human life.

But there are many different ways one can "pick up their own cross"
Here again we go from literal to a spiritual meaning. I can accept this as your beliefs, as this makes perfectly good sense to me.

But the combining of two faiths is absurd for me there is and always has been One Faith only. Christianity/
I'm glad you left that "to me" at the end of your statment. What you have done with this reply is demonstrated in what I call the ostridge reflex as it applies to christians. An ostridge when faced with danger will bury its head in the sand. It feels that if it can not see the danger it does not exist. A christian when presented with the truth, will bury its head in faith. It feels that if it can not see the truth it will not exist. If you have the strength, and you are sure that your faith can handle it I suggest you do a little research on the roman empire at the time of Constatine. You will find you are quite in error as to your opinion of the christian faith and that of the pagan. You will find it quite interesting in fact to do a little research on Christmas, and find it interesting I'm sure that it was banned by the christian church for many years. My friend, there are many many faiths in the world, they are all dependant upon the individual. To suggest that there is only one, to me is absurd.
btu Christianity claims it to be theirown Holy Days so it is..
Any one can make a cliam, just as you suggest? Your twisting of my words to suit your purpose was unjust though? I made my claim upon presenting facts where it seems yours was only to insult? Constatine incorporated Dec. 25th as a christian holiday because it was already a day of traditional celebration and it was much more easier to convince the two faiths. That is a fact you will just have to come to grips with.

I still love ya.
There is only love in my heart for you as well.

You say Santa is the reason for the season which is fine by me, but I consider Christ's Nativity is the reason for the season.. But then I'm rather old fashion. )

And a Blessed Nativity's Feast to you and yours. (Smile)
That is fine, we agree to disagree. May you and your family have a very Blessed Nativity's Feast and a wonderful new year to follow.

As I have said many times, agreement with me is never a requirement.