Hard Water in St. Mary's....

PrepH4U

I've never had well water but my friend does and uses a shower head filter and a special shampoo for her hair specifically made for people with well water. She said her hair still seems really dry, even using the filter, if she doesn't use it. Just thought you should know, good luck. I'd check on that sulfur smell too cuz I'm not sure that sounds so safe.

Sulfer smell from well water around here is quite common. :snooty:

MMDad

Lem Putt
. It smells of sulfur coming out of the tap. There is something in the water that irritates my skin and causes me to break out a bit.

That's not sulfur. Smoof did something in your well. You might want to start some strong antibiotics.

Pix,
If you do the bleach the well thing, make sure you get the bleach water into all the taps in the house (let each sink and tub run until you can smell the bleach in the water). Then let it sit for a day or so (do it when you are going to be away for the weekend or going out to dinner, etc.). Then run the outside tap to flush it from the system. Make sure you use the garden hose to move the water well away from the house and don't let it run onto grass/shrubery (although at this time of year it's not as likely to hurt it) that you care about, nor let it run down a hill unless it has good grass coverage.

lovinmaryland

Pix,
If you do the bleach the well thing, make sure you get the bleach water into all the taps in the house (let each sink and tub run until you can smell the bleach in the water). Then let it sit for a day or so (do it when you are going to be away for the weekend or going out to dinner, etc.). Then run the outside tap to flush it from the system. Make sure you use the garden hose to move the water well away from the house and don't let it run onto grass/shrubery (although at this time of year it's not as likely to hurt it) that you care about, nor let it run down a hill unless it has good grass coverage.

That sounds a little too complicated for me to do that... how much would you charge to go out to someones house to do that? :smile:

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
I would get the water checked by the county also. But should you decide to go with a filtration system, I don't think it would be the landlord's responsibility to supply the filters. You might be lucky to get him to pay for the hardware if your lucky, as more then likely it would have to remain with the house.

In our old house we had hard water with a very slight odor. We installed two OMNI whole house filter systems for under a $100. One was for taste and odor and the other was for sediment etc. Had to change the filters about once a month. That ran about $30 if I remember correctly. Maybe less. But you should install them on the main incoming pipe from the well.

Good luck Pixie! (Spiderman still wants to come home!)

Pix,

Okay, if you're going all the way then make sure you get some running through the hot water pipes and into the water heater as well.

:lmao:

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Ill take hard water anyday over what I just went thru. We went to Ohio over Xmas and stayed at the Comfort Inn. The water was so overly soft that after you washed in the shower you had to use a clean washcloth to help you rinse off. I had to put a towel on the bottom of the tub to keep me from slipping and breaking a hip or something. It was so slippery. It was awful. Way too soft for my taste.

fredsaid2

I think the current charge for water testing by the county is $100.
Perhaps it's different with an existing house but with a new well you have to chlorinate the well, draw it through the pipes, let it sit 12-24 hrs then pump it out by turning on taps and outside spouts for a good two days or more to clear the chlorine. It’s about a three day timeframe for the results to come back. Be prepared for a good week without water to drink or use for cooking or dishwashing.

Okay, if you're going all the way then make sure you get some running through the hot water pipes and into the water heater as well.

:lmao:
What's the point of doing it, if your not gonna so it right? That's kinda like foreplay without the happy ending.

oldman

Lobster Land
I'm on well here in Charles and I get the sulfur smell. I don't like the taste of water out of the tap but if I bottle it and keep it in the fridge - well the difference is like day and night. Just a thought that may help some.

I'm on well here in Charles and I get the sulfur smell. I don't like the taste of water out of the tap but if I bottle it and keep it in the fridge - well the difference is like day and night. Just a thought that may help some.

Yep, works as good as filtering for taste.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Pix,
Just make sure it's a deep well first! And if it's a shallow well, whatever you do, don't look down the well:dead: All the dead crap floating on top will make you not happy:smile:

beerlover

I have a well in St. Mary's and my water smells sulfury all the time. Some days it's stronger than others, but always there. I had the well tested about 1.5 years ago and it came back fine. It just stinks. It doesn't bother me much, but my wife is all kinds of embarrassed about it when company comes over.