Harris Teeter

smurfgirl

I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned yet. I went to check out the store today. I was going to sign up for the savings card, but they require a drivers license #, state ID# or a military ID#. I refused and was told I couldn't sign up for a savings card. I said that's fine then I'll spend my money elsewhere.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
And when I moved here, there were different stores and they were elsewhere. We had Harvest Market, Food Lion and McKay's.
I might also go to the McKay's in Lexington Park. (What was the food store in the plaza on Rte 5 in Leonardtown where the Ledo's is?).

Mattingly's

MiddleGround

I'm not sure why the direction makes all that much of a difference.

Perhaps you missed the part where I explain my reasoning...

I would think that since the major contributors to the local economy are base workers, it would behoove the grocery stores to be placed on the north bound side. This way base workers could easily get in and out of the stores quickly.

MOST of the base workers head north on 235 after working. It would make sense that this would be the time they would be stopping for groceries, quick pick-ups, etc.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
That's mainly due to geography. Generally speaking, on the east side of Three Notch Road is hilly terrain, erodible soils, tidal areas. The west side: flat and buildable land. Town Creek and Esperanza Farms, which are older neighborhoods, are good examples of the hills that I'm talking about, either built before the county had a zoning ordinance or in its infancy. It would certainly make more sense to have the commercial development on the northbound side of Three Notch Road, but you work with what you have.

MOST of the base workers head north on 235 after working. It would make sense that this would be the time they would be stopping for groceries, quick pick-ups, etc.

Maybe you missed the above explaining why this is not possible. They directly quoted you in fact. :lol:

MiddleGround

That's mainly due to geography. Generally speaking, on the east side of Three Notch Road is hilly terrain, erodible soils, tidal areas. The west side: flat and buildable land. Town Creek and Esperanza Farms, which are older neighborhoods, are good examples of the hills that I'm talking about, either built before the county had a zoning ordinance or in its infancy. It would certainly make more sense to have the commercial development on the northbound side of Three Notch Road, but you work with what you have.

There appear to be quite a lot of buildings on that side of the road now. Some old AND some new. Is it only a problem for grocery store lots?? They managed to build that brand new Holiday Inn Express and the SAIC building. Seems like they didn't have a problem with them.

I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned yet. I went to check out the store today. I was going to sign up for the savings card, but they require a drivers license #, state ID# or a military ID#. I refused and was told I couldn't sign up for a savings card. I said that's fine then I'll spend my money elsewhere.
I plan to refuse also.. It's stupid of anyone to give PII for a grocery store savings card.

SamSpade

Of course I didn't miss it.

And that's relevant if most of the base workers live FAR from the base that they might shop for groceries on the way home.
Unless of course, they live as far north as Charlotte Hall or further, in which case, they won't bother. They'll shop near home.
So - people who live in Mechanicsville or thereabouts.
Or if they're driving home to Leonardtown - where they will buy groceries THERE.
If they live in Hollywood or California - the store is right near home.
Work doesn't really figure into it.

Secondly - it's an easy thing to turn into Shopper's or Giant or WalMart or Weis at the light - and get back out and head north.
Harris Teeter - not so much. Not terribly convenient.

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

Did they ask to see the ID? I would have just made up a number like I do with phone numbers when I get asked for one.

PeoplesElbow

Secondly - it's an easy thing to turn into Shopper's or Giant or WalMart or Weis at the light - and get back out and head north.
Harris Teeter - not so much. Not terribly convenient.

If I stopped at HT and wanted to go north I would head down RT4 and then go through wildwood. The other places are pretty simple to get into and out of.

wubbles

I plan to refuse also.. It's stupid of anyone to give PII for a grocery store savings card.

Not to harp on it too much, but did you know your DOD ID is public information? It's not meant to be private like a SSN whatsoever. Doesn't really change the PII argument but I find a lot of people don't realize your DOD ID can be looked up online.

A stranger says, "Hey. I'll give you 50 bucks if you let me make a copy of your ID."
And hundreds if not thousands just said "okeedokee" within the past 72 hours.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A stranger says, "Hey. I'll give you 50 bucks if you let me make a copy of your ID."
And hundreds if not thousands just said "okeedokee" within the past 72 hours.

They usually don't make a copy, they just check to make sure you're you. I have a Giant card but I don't remember if I had to show ID or not.

They usually don't make a copy, they just check to make sure you're you. I have a Giant card but I don't remember if I had to show ID or not.
No. Starting last year they are requiring it in order to get your rewards card. I looked it up earlier today and found folks that had cards for over a decade have had their cards turned off unless they give th ID info.

Last edited:

Vrai, they mailed out the registration cards so we could pre-fill. They aren't accepting them unless we provide the drivers license number, State ID or military ID in writing. They also want complete birth date. They are storing this info in their databases.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron

Pishah! I suppose you wouldn't have given Viktur from Meikrosoft® your admin passward and IP address either! They fixed my internet connection in no time flat!!!

Isn't it a requirement to have annual security refresher training anymore? I know it was drilled into my head to protect PII for 30 years, so I know where you're coming from. Not everybody does, and they will get many to sign up. On that I'd put good money.

I'll be damned if I'm going to give it out to save on something I can get elsewhere. If they have something I can't get elsewhere, I'll pay full price. Otherwise, you won't pass me in their aisles.

Pishah! I suppose you wouldn't have given Viktur from Meikrosoft® your admin passward and IP address either! They fixed my internet connection in no time flat!!!

Isn't it a requirement to have annual security refresher training anymore? I know it was drilled into my head to protect PII for 30 years, so I know where you're coming from. Not everybody does, and they will get many to sign up. On that I'd put good money.

I'll be damned if I'm going to give it out to save on something I can get elsewhere. If they have something I can't get elsewhere, I'll pay full price. Otherwise, you won't pass me in their aisles.
Exactly.

PeoplesElbow

s-l640.jpg

or

61uRXp0FIJL._SX681_.jpg

Last edited: