HB 730: doctor's note needed to buy gun

Inkd

I know for rifles and shotguns you are able to buy them out of state just by filling out the forms and having the instant background check done but I thought you had to prove residency in the state you are trying to purchase a handgun in? Usually a drivers license will do except for reall F'd up states like New Jersey. When I was in Virginia a couple weeks ago I went to a gun show and they said rifles and shotguns were no problem but a handgun had to be shipped to an FFL dealer in Maryland since that is where I'm a resident and where my drivers license says I reside

Mongo53

Yea, I think the difference is MD class of "regulated" firearms, additional MD paper work has to be done, register it with the state, and there is a mandatory waiting period.

Regulated are Pistols and any rifle that was on the AWB list. If you want to buy one of those, I think what you have to do, like you described, have it shipped FFL to FFL and then met the MD FFL, where you do the MD paper work, then your waiting period starts, after its up, you can go pick it up from the MD FFL.

E

EmptyTimCup

buddy bought an AK at a gun show in Chantilly some yrs ago, the dealer would not give it to him, it had to be shipped to an FFL in MD, which drove up the cost of an otherwise bargain ...

then there was a 15? waiting period ... because the weapon was capable of holding a mag lager than 15 rounds ... or some such nonsense

I am guessing private party sales in West Va would be a better route

nothing like the 80's living in Colorado buying weapons at flea markets

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Like I said, I might be reading it wrong and I was.

So are you going to the State House today for the hearing on this bill?

I had to work but I fired off an email to Joe Vallario since he's the chair of Judiciary in the House of Delegates. I'm going to keep following this one to see what happens with it.

(and I never would have known about it at all if I hadn't opened that email from the NRA...)