Health and Human Services statement about Maryland health insurance

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
.. who the hell can afford 18 - 20K for medical costs a year??

Back around the time Obamacare was being debated, I had been mostly self-insured for a good while already and estimated I'd saved (avoided wasting) around 100 grand by doing so. Now..the savings are piling up twice..three times..as fast. What a mess.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I see things like this (Tracey's plan), and think that we're being pressured into selecting a 'catastrophic' plan rather than traditional. For the out-of-pocket costs and deductibles laid out, it's cheaper to forgo the traditional plan, pay for doctor visits and meds, but still be covered for major medical events and hospitals. Bookkeeping is easier, costs for both parties are lower, no more nickle and dime payouts for a tube of anal creme.

Am I missing something? It sounds to be a step better than single payer.

In the past Catastrophic plans were the way to go.. HIGH deductibles for major issues. but VERY low premiums as you paid the majority of your health care out of pocket.

Now we get the Platinum Plan Premiums (you know the plans with little or no deductible) with Catastrophic Deductibles. Makes no sense, but I'm assuming our Senators and Congressman are getting rich so all is well.

Once I turn 65, my employer sponsored plan goes bye-bye and I'll be forced to select an Obamacare plan to supplement Medicare. I'm reviewing my out-of-pocket, deductible, premium costs, etc... and I don't meet my deductible yearly anymore, now that it's been raised sky high anyway. I think a catastrophic plan makes more sense for me.

I'd drop the supplemental altogether and just use Medicare, and fully understand I pay for 20% out of pocket. Still not bad. Problem is... if my health degrades, and my out-of-pocket costs exceeds my ability to pay, I can't re-join a supplemental plan without paying thru the nose. I'm kind of forced to buy a supplemental plan now to cover future issues, and spend thousands yearly for that 'privilege'.

awpitt

Main Streeter
They have their own coverage...all paid for.

Incorrect.

Actually, members of Congress are part of the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) system and have premiums deducted from their paychecks at the same rate as all federal civilian employees.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Incorrect.

Actually, members of Congress are part of the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) system and have premiums deducted from their paychecks at the same rate as all federal civilian employees.

Right. They pay almost nothing. Obamacare does not affect them.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Right. They pay almost nothing. Obamacare does not affect them.

They pay the same as all federal employees. About a third of the premium. But I have to amend my earlier statement as Obamacare changed the health benefits for members of Congress because Obamacare took away their eligibility for the FEHB system. If they want to receive the govt contribution toward their premiums, they have to buy insurance through an Obamacare small business health options program (SHOP) exchange.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R43194.pdf

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
They pay the same as all federal employees. About a third of the premium. But I have to amend my earlier statement as Obamacare changed the health benefits for members of Congress because Obamacare took away their eligibility for the FEHB system. If they want to receive the govt contribution toward their premiums, they have to buy insurance through an Obamacare small business health options program (SHOP) exchange.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R43194.pdf

According to the formula, the employer contribution is set at 72% of the weighted average of all
FEHB plan premiums, not to exceed 75% of any given plan’s premium.

Like I said...largely unaffected by the failures of Obamacare. And by the way...25% is not "about a third"...LOL. 28% is closer...but still not there. The folks who are being most affected pay 100% of their premiums.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Like I said...largely unaffected by the failures of Obamacare. And by the way...25% is not "about a third"...LOL. 28% is closer...but still not there. The folks who are being most affected pay 100% of their premiums.

The point was that you said members of Congress aren't affected by Obamacare when, in fact, they actually are.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The point was that you said members of Congress aren't affected by Obamacare when, in fact, they actually are.

OK fine. How about "largely unaffected"? Or "unaffected to any significant degree"? Or maybe "affected so little that nobody would notice"?

The people who are actually being truly affected are those that pay a significant portion, it not all, of their own own health insurance. That is the point.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I'm in between being poor enough for VA health coverage and being able to afford actually using whatever I can get in ObummerCare. Thus, I haven't seen a doctor in well over a year - and can't even consider getting care for dental issues. Just trying to keep from getting penalized in taxes, and self-medicating as issues come up. Meanwhile, I'm a home healthcare provider, paid out of the same healthcare system that won't help me. :LOL: Gotta laugh about it to keep from being angry.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I'm in between being poor enough for VA health coverage and being able to afford actually using whatever I can get in ObummerCare. Thus, I haven't seen a doctor in well over a year - and can't even consider getting care for dental issues. Just trying to keep from getting penalized in taxes, and self-medicating as issues come up. Meanwhile, I'm a home healthcare provider, paid out of the same healthcare system that won't help me. :LOL: Gotta laugh about it to keep from being angry.

And I have neither the time nor the resources to research and use any possible alternatives.

Clem72

Is anyone experiencing the above with your Maryland health insurance? I have CareFirst, and my premiums have risen dramatically under Obamacare - much more than in previous years. As far as finding coverage for $75/mo - I have never even heard of anyone getting a rate that low.

As far as my personal experience and what I hear from other people, this whole press release is a lie. But if somebody is getting great health insurance for $75/mo and their premiums haven't gone sky high, I am happy to be corrected and change my assessment.

I can't speak to the subsidized costs, but for my unsubsidized plan (that I have been on since 2000), premiums seems to have risen consistently every year regardless of ACA. There were some bad years when it would go up $10/month, some good ones when it would only go up $4 or $5, but I think the average is around $8. It surely never doubled or tripled in a single year.

Clem72

They have their own coverage...all paid for.

Come on now, no need to exaggerate to make your point. All members of Congress were provided access to the same FEHB as any other federal employee. And they pay for it. This is easily verified through less than 10 seconds of google research.

The ACA forced them to go to the exchanges so they could "experience the same red tape" as normal Americans, which means they get access to the same subsidies as anyone else using the exchanges.

Say what you will about expense accounts, insider trading, sole sourcing contracts to relatives, etc. They are certainly a crooked lot, but they do pay for their own insurance.

Last edited:

Kinnakeet

I think they mean that their employer carries the entire cost of the premium and the employee share is $0 so there's no telling how much the employer is paying on behalf of the employee.

I work for a large HMO company.

littlelady

God bless the USA

And I have neither the time nor the resources to research and use any possible alternatives.

Obamacare sucks, as we all know. It was the beginning of the end; especially if Hill is elected. You are a good and caring person. :huggy:

Even though my hub works for USBank (that is supposedly self insured out of MN), our premium and deductible went through the roof in the last two years. Our Gov sucks, and I hope we get a new one on Nov. 8th.

I don't think Hill has to use Obamacare. It is all a twitter that there is, actually, an urgent care doc, and pharmacist aboding with Chelsea in her 11 mil apt. No, wonder Hill went there, instead of the ER. And, I would like to see the autograph the Hill gave that cute little girl that ran up to her when she walked out 90 mins later; authentic and all. Body double. Maybe. What was with the dark colored glasses and the appearance of losing pounds in 90 mins. It is all orchestrated and corrupt to the umpteenth T; as in well thought out way ahead of time. Wake up, America. :slap:

Last edited: