Health care services for cash

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The only problem with that model is if you have a high deductible plan and they won't count health services you paid for in cash against your deductible.

In practice, that's a non-issue. I typically spend less (usually far less) than $1000 a year, cash, on health services. So that moment arrives where I get run over by truck and have to avail myself of the catastrophic insurance, the fact that maybe a grand won't count toward my deductible is nothing noteworthy..

So, I'm not paying a sillly amount every month for Barrycare-compliant insurance that would STILL have a deductible in excess of 8 grand. Nothing but win..the math is easy.

For the sake of example, let's say I've saved about 80 grand over the 12 years since I had "regular" health insurance with a low deductible. Subtract the maybe 10 grand I've paid out of pocket. Subtract the 15 grand deductible I'm going to have to pay after the truck runs over me. I'm still 55 grand ahead, and that's not counting time-value of the money.

Last edited:

tommyjo

In practice, that's a non-issue. I typically spend less (usually far less) than $1000 a year, cash, on health services. So that moment arrives where I get run over by truck and have to avail myself of the catastrophic insurance, the fact that maybe a grand won't count toward my deductible is nothing noteworthy..

So, I'm not paying a sillly amount every month for Barrycare-compliant insurance that would STILL have a deductible in excess of 8 grand. Nothing but win..the math is easy.

For the sake of example, let's say I've saved about 80 grand over the 12 years since I had "regular" health insurance with a low deductible. Subtract the maybe 10 grand I've paid out of pocket. Subtract the 15 grand deductible I'm going to have to pay after the truck runs over me. I'm still 55 grand ahead, and that's not counting time-value of the money.

Maybe you should look at your plan or learn the proper terminology? You are not describing catastrophic coverage...you are describing an accident policy. An accident policy may cover you if you get hit by a truck but it likely it won't as the policy on the truck would be primary...come on...Ivy league guy like you should know this basic definition type stuff. An accident policy won't cover you if you have a heart attack stroke or develop cancer. Here is what catastrophic policies are in the current market. (BTW...if you don't have the proper coverage, you'll need to factor your tax penalty into your math equation above...)

Catastrophic insurance benefits

Catastrophic health plans cover the same minimum health benefits as other health plans under the Affordable Care Act, including preventive services, emergency services, prescription drugs, and more. The difference with a catastrophic plan is that you must pay for all health-care costs until you meet a high annual deductible. Only after your out-of-pocket spending reaches the deductible does your plan begins to pay for most covered health-care services.

The deductible doesn't apply to all benefits. Catastrophic health plans cover the following benefits, even if you haven't met your yearly deductible yet:
•Three primary care visits every year
•Free preventive services required under the Affordable Care Act, including certain screenings and immunizations.

You'll pay the full cost for all other health-care services until you meet your yearly deductible. Other cost-sharing expenses, such as copayments and coinsurance, are usually higher with this type of plan. However, monthly premiums tend to be lower compared with major medical plans.

Catastrophic health coverage is different from accident, critical illness, or short-term plans; these types of coverage tend to protect the policyholder in specific, limited situations. For example, critical illness plans insure the policyholder against specific health illnesses. Short-term plans provide limited, temporary coverage when an individual isn't eligible to enroll in a major medical health plan or is waiting for coverage to start. For example, you might enroll in a short-term plan to fill a coverage gap before you're eligible for Medicare.

In contrast, catastrophic plans cover the same essential health benefits as major medical plans once you've met the yearly deductible

https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/health-plans/catastrophic-insurance

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Maybe you should look at your plan or learn the proper terminology? You are not describing catastrophic coverage...you are describing an accident policy. An accident policy may cover you if you get hit by a truck but it likely it won't as the policy on the truck would be primary...come on...Ivy league guy like you should know this basic definition type stuff. An accident policy won't cover you if you have a heart attack stroke or develop cancer. Here is what catastrophic policies are in the current market. (BTW...if you don't have the proper coverage, you'll need to factor your tax penalty into your math equation above...)

https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/health-plans/catastrophic-insurance
you have less than a clue..as usual. And because you are such a moron...you would not even begin to understand how I've avoided one penny of Barry's penalty.