Health Insurance Increases for 2018

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Anyhoo, my company's open enrollment starts next month and they are supposed to be sending out mail packets in the next few days about it.

No big changes to the plans and small increase in price. My coverage for the same plan goes up about $150 a year so an increase of $6.25 per biweekly pay period. I am happy with that.

stgislander

PREMO Member
My wife's monthly premium (self insured) goes up 34% next year to over $800. I've not heard yet what my increase will be.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Just checked my rates and it looks like I will be paying $4 less per month, that is a first.

stgislander

PREMO Member
My wife's monthly premium (self insured) goes up 34% next year to over $800. I've not heard yet what my increase will be.

Just checked my rates and it looks like I will be paying $4 less per month, that is a first.

Yeah, I need to investigate my wife's plan. Her current plan (POS) is not being offered next year. The letter says the premium for the new plan they recommend (HMO) will be $812/mo. The problem is their website says the premium for the new plan is only $619/mo. Something's fishy.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I received my letter from CareFirst yesterday. The monthly premium for my plan is is increasing 45.1% to $675.78.

So if I do not go shopping for cheaper insurance, my combined monthly premium will be $1488/mo. :party:

I received my letter from CareFirst yesterday. The monthly premium for my plan is is increasing 45.1% to $675.78.

So if I do not go shopping for cheaper insurance, my combined monthly premium will be $1488/mo. :party:

Ouch.

I have a company sponsored retiree plan thru BC/BS. Last year they offered a new option, an "economy" plan. Standard was about $300/m (single, not married, no kids), the economy plan was $90/m. I went over the two plans line by line, and the only difference I could find was an increase in the deductible by $50. This was no-brainer. Just got the renewal for this year, and it was the same plans, options and costs as last year, so again I renewed for $90/m.

Coverage has been great, covered drugs pretty good, no co-pay.... for the life of me I can't figure out how they can offer it and why any retiree would choose the more expensive plan for the very same coverage.

I hope you guys can find a better option. That's a big chunk of money. :ohwell:

stgislander

PREMO Member
Ouch.

I have a company sponsored retiree plan thru BC/BS. Last year they offered a new option, an "economy" plan. Standard was about $300/m (single, not married, no kids), the economy plan was $90/m. I went over the two plans line by line, and the only difference I could find was an increase in the deductible by $50. This was no-brainer. Just got the renewal for this year, and it was the same plans, options and costs as last year, so again I renewed for $90/m.

Coverage has been great, covered drugs pretty good, no co-pay.... for the life of me I can't figure out how they can offer it and why any retiree would choose the more expensive plan for the very same coverage.

I hope you guys can find a better option. That's a big chunk of money. :ohwell:

Well somebody's gotta fund govt subsidized health insurance. Looks like it's me.