Help needed from dog people

carolinagirl

What's it 2 U
I have just begun the process of seriously looking for a dog for our family. We currently don't have any pets, but I was raised my entire life with dogs and cats so I have plenty of experience. Unfortunately, my three kids don't.

So here is where I need a little help. I am drawn to boxers, mastiffs, stafford terriers and labs. But I am not sure most of those breeds are good for my kids, ages 16, 8 and 4 yo. Although she loves animals and even talked about being a vet, the 16 year old is more nervous around animals than the 8 yo and the 4 yo has no fear of anything. I don't really want a smal dog because the 4 yo is like a bull in a china closet. He is not mean, but he is all boy!

I want a dog that would stay indoors most all of the day and could be crate trained while we are away until I can trust him/her to be in the house loose when we are gone. I also would like a dog that doesn't shed excessive amounts of hair like collies.

Anyone have any suggestions on what breed I should look for. We want to adopt from a shelter and I would like a dog that is already house trained for the most part.

TIA!

J

jp2854

I have a saint bernard and she just loves kids to death. She walks up to them and gives them a few good lickens before they get to far past her. She only sheds bad 2x a year I think in the spring and fall other than that a little hair here and there not too bad. She is only 7 months old and doesn't slobber unless shes very hot then a little drool here and there. She was kind of easy to crate train and housebreaking her wasn't that bad you just have to continually take her out and watch her like a hawk . We don't use the word crate with her we tell her to go to bed as that is what our trainer had us do that we used to help us as I have never had a puppy before and the fact that shes going to be such a big dog when shes done growing to help us get her under control before it was too late. If you have any question feel free to pm me as I am willing to help you more if you want it.

DAMNIFUDO_DONT

Your gonna want to get a dog that will fit your life style. Is your life style laid back or active. If it is laid back and you don't do much outside and its just your kids outside you may want to stay away from active breeds such as labs, shepherds, boxers can tend to be very active. When dogs that need a "job" or exercise get bored they get into trouble. They chew, claw, tear things up and bark. This could be the reason they ended up at the shelter.

Take your time in choosing the type and personality of the dog. Choose by temper and disposition and not by the "looks" of the dog. Most of the time the dog picks the family. As the rescue if you can "Foster to Adopt". This gives you a chance to have the dog in your house and see how everyone responds to the "new member".

Good Luck and have fun with your new friend.

Cowgirl

How about a greyhound? They're pretty laid back. They're already crate trained, leash trained, and usually have very good manners. They might need a little work with using stairs or teaching them to go potty outside (if they're straight off the track). They're super easy to housetrain though, and most automatically get it. If they've been in a foster home for a while, they're probably already trained.

Some are shy, but you can get an outgoing one that's not timid around the kids. Most are fine with other animals. They're not hyper at all. They are great apartment dogs, and don't need a heck of a lot of exercise to be happy.

riverview

I have just begun the process of seriously looking for a dog for our family. We currently don't have any pets, but I was raised my entire life with dogs and cats so I have plenty of experience. Unfortunately, my three kids don't.

So here is where I need a little help. I am drawn to boxers, mastiffs, stafford terriers and labs. But I am not sure most of those breeds are good for my kids, ages 16, 8 and 4 yo. Although she loves animals and even talked about being a vet, the 16 year old is more nervous around animals than the 8 yo and the 4 yo has no fear of anything. I don't really want a smal dog because the 4 yo is like a bull in a china closet. He is not mean, but he is all boy!

I want a dog that would stay indoors most all of the day and could be crate trained while we are away until I can trust him/her to be in the house loose when we are gone. I also would like a dog that doesn't shed excessive amounts of hair like collies.

Anyone have any suggestions on what breed I should look for. We want to adopt from a shelter and I would like a dog that is already house trained for the most part.

TIA!
golden retriever rescue of southern maryland

I've had mainly labradors through my entire life, but now have a Golden Retriever. They are the most sociable, lovable breed of dog I've ever come across. They are GREAT with kids, I simply cannot say enough about this breed. I will continue to have Golden.

I picked up info about Southern Maryland Rescue at the CAWL Pet Walk and I was very glad to hear that they exist. It would be a great place to start if you are serious about adopting. It looks like they have a few dogs available now for adoption.

Good luck!

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones

TIA!

The best behaved dog I ever had was a either lab or GSD and Pitbull mix. I have a Pitbull now and she's great with my kids and the cats but she wasn't easy to train and is headstrong. Terrible with female dogs.

tes218

TIA!

:howdy: Take a look at Second Hope Rescue There are many to choose from and hopefully can find one that will be a good match. Do you have a fenced yard?

Claff

I don't have a lot of experience with dogs but have lived with pugs for six years and I'm not interested in any other kind. The sister-in-law's family has a wide variety (mastiffs, pugs, german shepherd, golden retriever) and of those the german shepherd is my favorite, but that might only be because she likes me best. She needs a lot of brushing and her tail knocks stuff off coffee tables etc.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
:howdy: Take a look at Second Hope Rescue There are many to choose from and hopefully can find one that will be a good match. Do you have a fenced yard?

Yes there are several to choose from and a few available that aren't up on the site yet as they are new to the group. I have available soon a young female (looks american bull/pit/lab???) and four of her cute little puppies that are just now turning 8 wks. I also will have this week a lab/pointer mix, a brindle pit mix and a white with red patches JRT mix???? SHR has so many sweet pups to choose from! :whistle:I also have a cute little longer hair black and white kitty looking for a forever home.

carolinagirl

What's it 2 U
Yes there are several to choose from and a few available that aren't up on the site yet as they are new to the group. I have available soon a young female (looks american bull/pit/lab???) and four of her cute little puppies that are just now turning 8 wks. I also will have this week a lab/pointer mix, a brindle pit mix and a white with red patches JRT mix???? SHR has so many sweet pups to choose from! :whistle:I also have a cute little longer hair black and white kitty looking for a forever home.

I saw alot of dogs on SHR website that I would love to meet, but we now live in NC.

JoeR

I love labradoodles, but they seem few and far between in shelters.

Or a Goldendoodle (Had to chime in Nanny :razz:). All the qualities of the Golden without the shedding.

I also know of 2 Labradoodles being fostered now in Fairfax. PM me and I'll give you more details on them if you want.

Attachments

• Groomed Gus1.jpg
    Groomed Gus1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Lilly Groom 2.JPG
    Lilly Groom 2.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 64

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!

TIA!

I am drawn to Pugs. Mine is VERY mild natured. Does fine in the house without a cage. She is 8. Went to the bathroom in the house once, and she climbed over in the bathtub to do that. :lmao:

We wanted a smaller dog because my EX wanted to do daycare. PUGS were beefy enough to stand up to kids well, and not be threatening to the children. If the kids got to rough she would simply go to her bed and that was off limits for the kids.

She is low maintenance. She'll go sit by the front door if she needs to go out. I can let her out, she'll do her stuff then come straight back to the front door and sit there with her nose on the glass looking in making a little fogged up spot.

She is the third I have had. Will never consider another breed.

greyhound

Adopt a Greyhound. They are already crate trained, most are very patient dogs. They never get to excited about anything.....unless they see a rabbit.
Most greyhounds don't bark alot.

frequentflier

happy to be living

I loved the little kitty- he didn't seem afraid of aything or anybody! The doggies sure are lovable and cute, too!

snuzzy

We had a husky/collie mix, lots of shedding, but we brought a newborn into our home after we had her for 5 years and she was more that wonderful. If the baby cried, she was coming to find me to take care of him! Now we have a beagle mix. We had rescued her and thought she was housebroken, but she wasn't :whistle:. Any way, once we got past that "issue", she has been a wonderful dog. With both of our dogs, we have had people say that if they knew they were getting a dog like ours, they would get one in a second. Owner love/attention/training has a lot to do with dog behavior/manner, make sure you are ready for one and that your kids are as well, and it will be hard to go wrong with any breed. Good luck!!