Help - Stinky Well Water

I had a stinky water problem one time. I changed the anoroide rod in the water heater and it took care of the problem. Also cleaned out the bottom with a wet vac. They get a lot of hard water deposits built inside them that needs cleaned out once in a while. Got the rod from Thomas Somerville. Maybe $20 fix.

:confused: Is that like a hemorrhoid? Maybe that's why it was so stinky.....

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Call Southern Maryland Water Conditioning, in Charlotte Hall- 301-884-9454. I was having the same problems with bad sulfur smell. My friend had a Rainsoft system installed and recommended it. I researched it and found a lot of complaints of high pressure sales tactics from the parent company (Rainsoft). They would get the contract signed and farm the work out to a local company.

I skipped Rainsoft and found thier local installer, SOMD Water Conditioning. Bill came to my house performed multiple tests on my water, inspected my water system and recomended I spend $2 on a gallon of plain bleach to put into the well. He gave me step by step instructions of the process, stayed at my house for a good 40 minutes and didn't charge me a dime. The smell has not returned and it's been over 2 months.

It was nice to see a campany not try to sell you a $2000-$5000 system you didn't need. If you want the steps he gave me, let me know.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I installed this simple charcoal whole house filter. My well water is free of bacteria and other dangerous particulates; so I don't need one of those expensive filters that purifies the water. If your water is good to drink but only has that smell then you really don’t need some filtration system that costs in the hundreds of dollars; of course unless you feel like paying the price for one. You should have your water tested though to determine what you might need.

I have to change the filter about once a month. So, if you’re willing to put up with the pain of changing the filters (which isn’t that difficult) then it’s worth it. It gets rid of the smell effectively.

bcp

In My Opinion
2006 article from Water tech magazine. there were three mentioned in the "Dream Team" for water conditioning/treatment.
Don is my brother in law, and the owner of the company I speak of. He also has one of the other "dream Team" water guys also from the same previous company working for him now.

Turn the water heater up to about 160* for a couple days. It will kill the bacteria that causes the smell, then turn it back down. Just be very careful using the hot water while it's at 160*.

Hot water burn baby!!!

Worked great, no more stinky water.