Help to get new water heater

I have not read this whole thread, this may have already been addressed. If you have municipal water (not a well) then you need an expansion tank. An abrupt closing of a water valve will cause a pressure spike and the release valve is the weak link. With well water, the pre charged water tank absorbs the shock, a closed system needs help.

Abrupt closing of a valve outside of our system, or inside the house? Is this something that might be caused by a power outage, because the timing matches? There is no expansion tank. Does this mean the valve is likely still good? The tanks don't look too difficult to install. Are they really necessary if I keep a bucket under the discharge pipe?

There is no doubt that Boothe's does great work, are dependable, etc...
But for some reason, Wayne has gotten so big he thinks he can rake you over the coals.
When I needed my AC replaced, he was the highest price. The same system he wanted almost $10,000 for, I got it from Simmons for half that.

And I like Wayne...but he's gouging homeowners...

He charged us over 10k for our system which was almost the cheapest one they offered in our size, when we looked it up online the parts were around $2500k. We did get a second quote after we went with Boothe from one of the other big guys, was almost as much but for a nicer "name brand". I wanted to check with a small installer but I was worried about after-install service and was always told picking someone who will do a good installation is more important than picking the best brand and I had no way to judge the quality of the independent installers. But Boothe did a good job and we haven't had any issues in the 4 years since.

Do you have a pressure regulator on the water main line? If not get one and install it.
Doesn't appear to be. I assume it would need to go on the copper pipe right before or after the water meter in the basement? Husband messes with the PVC, but I don't think he can do the copper. It does go to PVC about 10 feet after the meter but has an immediate connection that looks like it goes to the laundry room. Then it goes to the water heater and from there about 50 million places.

Last question, then I promise I am done for a while.

Anyone know a reasonably priced plumber that could install a pressure regulator and expansion tank? I used to have a great guy buy he retired when covid started.

willie

Last question, then I promise I am done for a while.

Anyone know a reasonably priced plumber that could install a pressure regulator and expansion tank? I used to have a great guy buy he retired when covid started.
Ask your great guy plumber who he would recommend. You definitely don't want a company with biggly overhead for a small job. Lowe's has the tanks. https://www.lowes.com/pd/A-O-Smith-4-6-Gallon-Expansion-Pressure-Tank/1000565579 Read some of the customers reviews, your problem is in there.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Doesn't appear to be. I assume it would need to go on the copper pipe right before or after the water meter in the basement? Husband messes with the PVC, but I don't think he can do the copper. It does go to PVC about 10 feet after the meter but has an immediate connection that looks like it goes to the laundry room. Then it goes to the water heater and from there about 50 million places.
Okay, that could be an ideal location for the regulator and an easy unskilled labor installation. Have hubby plan it out. He will need to determine the PVC line size, should be 3/4 inch might be 1 inch. Locate and buy the regulator (see type connection required - probably threaded males for both input and output). You can get sharkbite connectors that are combination sharkbite to male threaded for the application, teflon tape the threaded connectors for installing to the regulator.
EDIT - Thread and tighten the connectors to the regulator.
Now SHUT THE WATER MAIN VALVE OFF. Next, cut the PVC and fit the regulator by sliding the sharkbites all the way on to the pipe (as the name implies the sharkbites will bite into the PVC and my experience is that they are extremely solid devices) . Make sure to install the regulator in the marked direction of flow. Open the main back up and there shouldn't be any leak at the regulator or the sharkbites. The regulator is preset to 50 PSI and will resolve any over pressure condition. The process will take longer to buy what you need versus the actual install.

Last edited: