Help with a trenching, recommendations please.

We have a sump drain that was done with perforated tube that doesn't drain and is pooling water next to the foundation. We would like to replace it with 2 or 3 inch PVC, but it's about 50-75 feet and has to go through some tree roots. Only needs to be a few inches deep.

Can anyone recommend a company or person with a trencher that could do this job? Thanks.

limblips

PREMO Member
You could rent one. Biggest thing to doing a drain is to make sure it has pitch for the entire run. 1/4 inch per foot is the norm.

You could rent one. Biggest thing to doing a drain is to make sure it has pitch for the entire run. 1/4 inch per foot is the norm.
Thanks, I think the overall drop is more than that and if I use a solid pipe like PVC I wont have to worry about flat troughs in the middle. I don't think I would be comfortable operating a trencher, especially around roots, and I don't have a truck or vehicle with a tow hitch to get it to my place.

I wonder if this is something a sprinkler installer might be able to knock out all at once, the trenching and putting in the pipe?

limblips

PREMO Member
Thanks, I think the overall drop is more than that and if I use a solid pipe like PVC I wont have to worry about flat troughs in the middle. I don't think I would be comfortable operating a trencher, especially around roots, and I don't have a truck or vehicle with a tow hitch to get it to my place.

I wonder if this is something a sprinkler installer might be able to knock out all at once, the trenching and putting in the pipe?
Should be able to. Remember to call Miss Utility before anybody digs.

black dog

Free America
Call Automatic RaIn Lawn Sprinkler in Bryantown. Tell them what you need done and ask for Charlie to stop by when he in in the neighborhood.

glhs837

Power with Control
Beans Excavating and Hauling. Helped me out with a 30 foot run to lay new power cable to my wellhead.

You do plan to wrap your new drainpipe, right?

Beans Excavating and Hauling. Helped me out with a 30 foot run to lay new power cable to my wellhead.

You do plan to wrap your new drainpipe, right?
I didn't, I was planning to put in PVC. What would wrapping do? I don't think it would freeze since the outside water would drain and the inside water would be at basement temperature.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Seems like what you initially described with the perforated corrugated pipe is a "french drain". They are used to allow a sump pump and any other water around the foundation to escape. Wrapping the pipe keeps it from getting blocked. Going to a solid PVC pipe might do more harm then good.

Seems like what you initially described with the perforated corrugated pipe is a "french drain". They are used to allow a sump pump and any other water around the foundation to escape. Wrapping the pipe keeps it from getting blocked. Going to a solid PVC pipe might do more harm then good.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, it's definitely the discharge. Comes out of the house, down 3 feet and empties into a the drain pipe headed for a ditch 50 feet behind the house. It was overflowing where it enters the drain, so I had to cut it off and put a temporary gutter drain out 15 feet from the house. Most of the year it doesn't run, but in spring it seems like it runs every 10-15 minutes and dumps about 5 gallons of water each time.

black dog

Free America
I have installed litterly hundreds of sump pump drain pipes from exiting the home to its exit 20' to 100 yds away.
All was run in solid wall pvc, some in scd 40 and most in sdr 21 pvc pipe.
With pvc you don't have to worry about it getting clogged like corrugated pipe. You don't have to worry about it collapsing like corrugated does over the years.
The object is to remove the water away from the structure, not to let it drain in the yard to just get recycled back into the basement to be pumped out again and again.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
The object is to remove the water away from the structure, not to let it drain in the yard to just get recycled back into the basement to be pumped out again and again.
Yep, that is what a french drain is for, the perforated pipe also allows for collecting other water (roof runoff, rain, ground water, etc). A solid pipe will not collect that water and that MIGHT cause equal or greater harm.

black dog

Free America
Yep, that is what a french drain is for, the perforated pipe also allows for collecting other water (roof runoff, rain, ground water, etc). A solid pipe will not collect that water and that MIGHT cause equal or greater harm.
Its a catch 22, if the water is not moved as far as possible downhill it easily will recycle endlessly from the yard to the sump hole.
A French is all good right up until its full or at the same level as the bottom of the sump pit., and then what happens is.... Recycle from the yard to the sump hole.
You need to run water off of down spouts and other drains? run there own lines to the bottom of the hill. For one you don't introduce trash, solids, dirt, roofing material to a clean water drain line.
Ive seen hundreds of these problems.