High Cholesterol

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
So I go to the doctor the other day for my cholesterol test results. My triglycerides are 404 and my good Cholesterol is 33 which he considers way low. He tells me to go on a no carb diet for 6 weeks then we will recheck the numbers. In the mean time I am trying to eat healthy but no carbs and healthy eating don't mix in according to what I am reading. Anyone with same issue? help!!!!!

flomaster said:
So I go to the doctor the other day for my cholesterol test results. My triglycerides are 404 and my good Cholesterol is 33 which he considers way low. He tells me to go on a no carb diet for 6 weeks then we will recheck the numbers. In the mean time I am trying to eat healthy but no carbs and healthy eating don't mix in according to what I am reading. Anyone with same issue? help!!!!!
He basically recommended the Atkins diet for you? Seems odd. Mine said stay away from fatty foods and exersize.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Duh, it sure does work to have low to no carbs and eat healthy.

Try looking at it this way. Take the "just say no to whitey" approach. :lmao: Simpley put, eliminate all sugars, white flour, white rice, and potatoes.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Homesick said:
I hear oatmeal is very good for you.
:yeahthat: for breakfast every day and snack on raw nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, etc you perverts) and exercise. Fish oil caps (any vitaman store) high in omega acid will help get the good reading up. They like to look at the ratio between the good and the bad more than the actual numbers

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
desertrat said:
He basically recommended the Atkins diet for you? Seems odd. Mine said stay away from fatty foods and exersize.

Thought it was odd too. He did drive me to go to American Heart association website for info. Of course the weight loss is nice.

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
aps45819 said:
:yeahthat: for breakfast every day and snack on raw nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, etc you perverts) and exercise. Fish oil caps (any vitaman store) high in omega acid will help get the good reading up. They like to look at the ratio between the good and the bad more than the actual numbers

Ponytail has been bugging me about eating sushi. Friend of his swears buy it.

S

StrwberryKisses

More fish would help and the all important key to improving is exercise

verucasalt

try avoiding foods with hydrogenated oil or partially hydrogenated oil. it is in sooooo many foods. researchers are now realizing that it raises your bad (LDL) cholesterol while actually LOWERING yor good cholesteral (HDL).

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
Guess will stick it out for the six weeks on the lowest carbs I can maintain and see what the numbers are. In the meantime, I have been eating the raw almonds and oatmeal for breakfast. Just sucks when it comes to lunch and dinner. I am far from being a veggie guy!!

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
flomaster said:
Just sucks when it comes to lunch and dinner. I am far from being a veggie guy!!
Baked/broiled chicken and fish. Venision is also good.
olive oil instead of butter or margine when you're cooking

flomaster said:
Guess will stick it out for the six weeks on the lowest carbs I can maintain and see what the numbers are. In the meantime, I have been eating the raw almonds and oatmeal for breakfast. Just sucks when it comes to lunch and dinner. I am far from being a veggie guy!!
Friend of mine went on the Atkins diet for weight loss. His doctor was pissed at him for eating all the bacon etc. that you are allowed since he did have high cholesterol. Next time he had a blood test, though, the numbers were way down.
I think they aren't as smart as they claim to be about this stuff yet.

mizteresa1965

desertrat said:
Friend of mine went on the Atkins diet for weight loss. His doctor was pissed at him for eating all the bacon etc. that you are allowed since he did have high cholesterol. Next time he had a blood test, though, the numbers were way down.
I think they aren't as smart as they claim to be about this stuff yet.

Some people think the Atkins diet is a free ticket to eat all the bacon, beef, ham etc. I know this personally, because my husband is a food dummy. (love you baby!). But when you are put on a "restriction". like the Atkins diet, you must be aware that you have to eat sensibly and not gorge on the foods you are allowed to eat. So he thought he could eat ALL the meat he wanted to make up for the foods he couldn't, as much as I tried to make him understand, in his frame of mind, He was on a diet!! Here comes the awakening.

My father in law is in excellant health, age 66, like most older adults, he takes cholestoral meds, but that's it. Last month he got his bloodwork back, and his good cholestoral was around 180, Doctor was pleased. I have no idea what the bad cholestoral was. THREE DAYS LATER, he has a heart attack and is flown to WHC for emergency heart cath surgery, 2 days after that a quad bypass!

If there is one thing that our family learned from this is that heart disease is most definately a silent killer. My otherwise healthy father in law has heart disease. So now, my husband has a new hold on his eating habits. He is staying away from the heart clogging foods, and eating healthier, more vegies and fruit. I know I kinda strayed away from the subject a little, but in my opinion, the Atkins diet is not all that "Heart" healthy. Simply watch your diet, avoid fatty foods, eat more green veggies, and exercise!

Diets are overated, and fads. But if you start teaching yourself whats good to eat and whats not...........I'm telling you, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!

S

StrwberryKisses

mizteresa1965 said:
Some people think the Atkins diet is a free ticket to eat all the bacon, beef, ham etc. I know this personally, because my husband is a food dummy. (love you baby!). But when you are put on a "restriction". like the Atkins diet, you must be aware that you have to eat sensibly and not gorge on the foods you are allowed to eat. So he thought he could eat ALL the meat he wanted to make up for the foods he couldn't, as much as I tried to make him understand, in his frame of mind, He was on a diet!! Here comes the awakening.

My father in law is in excellant health, age 66, like most older adults, he takes cholestoral meds, but that's it. Last month he got his bloodwork back, and his good cholestoral was around 180, Doctor was pleased. I have no idea what the bad cholestoral was. THREE DAYS LATER, he has a heart attack and is flown to WHC for emergency heart cath surgery, 2 days after that a quad bypass!

If there is one thing that our family learned from this is that heart disease is most definately a silent killer. My otherwise healthy father in law has heart disease. So now, my husband has a new hold on his eating habits. He is staying away from the heart clogging foods, and eating healthier, more vegies and fruit. I know I kinda strayed away from the subject a little, but in my opinion, the Atkins diet is not all that "Heart" healthy. Simply watch your diet, avoid fatty foods, eat more green veggies, and exercise!

Diets are overated, and fads. But if you start teaching yourself whats good to eat and whats not...........I'm telling you, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!

Very Well put. Exercise and smart eating are the keys

MMDad

Lem Putt
flomaster said:
American Heart Association:
Reduce your intake of alcohol considerably. Even small amounts of alcohol can lead to large changes in plasma triglyceride levels.

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
Thanks

My thanks to all the forumites that threw their 2 cents in to aid in my question. Looks like I have some homework to do.

Thanks again :flowers:

smilin

BOXER NATION

Ouch! No Carbs - beer and all that other good alcohol stuff is full of it.
Before you start taking all the cholesterol meds out there be careful!
I was told the same thing by my doc. LDL (bad) 140, HDL 49, Triglycerides 107 total Cholesterol 210.
Doc gave me some meds which gave me sore muscles, ruined my equilibrium and basically made me feel rundown and ill.
I stopped them and tripped over a book called (you are going to give me a lot flack over this, but):"The 8 week Cholesterol cure" by R. Kowalski
Mainly low fat, low carbs, high exercise and lots of Niacin - a B vitamin.

Results? Cholesterol level is 160, LDL 104, HDL 52, Triglycerides 50.
I've been hovering in that range for a bout a year now.
Main thing is low fat, exercise.
:buddies:

smilin

BOXER NATION
:confused: Low fat AND low carbs? What can you eat besides fish and celery?

I didn't say NO - I said low. I kept on lowering the fat until my numbers came in OK. I hardly lowered the carbs, the beer or wine. The big difference was simply exercising more.
My big problem is borderline Glucose problems. Doc said no sugar.
So let's recap: no sugar, no fat, no carbs, no drinking - oh did I say take medicine that makes you feel bad?

What's left? Did I miss anything?