Hobby Lobby fined $3 million for smuggling looted Iraq antiquities.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

PsyOps

Pixelated
No one cares about your faith until it becomes blatantly hypocritical in cases such as this

So, it is about their faith. If they were a non-Christian business or group that made the same mistake, this wouldn't be news would it?

I will grant you there is the possibility the money spent on these antiquities could have ended up in the hands of terrorists, but I will argue that it was a conscious choice by Hobby Lobby to "smuggle" these artifacts into the country. It seems someone didn't fully know the law in regards to purchasing protected antiquities. Per the article:

"The company was new to the world of acquiring these items and did not fully appreciate the complexities of the acquisitions process," Hobby Lobby said in a statement. "This resulted in some regrettable mistakes."

Two things:

1) The owner of Hobby lobby was establishing a Bible museum
2) They bought the artifacts in an attempt to prevent the looting of these artifacts in the war-torn region. Given ISIS and al Qaeda's pursuit to destroy anything-Christian, Steve Green (owner of Hobby Lobby) attempted to protect the artifacts.

They "agreed" to pay the fine, realizing the mistake they made. THAT'S the Christian thing to do: admit your mistake, willingly pay the consequences, learn from the mistake, vow to do all you can to not make that mistake again in the future.

I'd say the actions of Hobby Lobby are the opposite of hypocritical.

Hijinx

So, it is about their faith. If they were a non-Christian business or group that made the same mistake, this wouldn't be news would it?

I will grant you there is the possibility the money spent on these antiquities could have ended up in the hands of terrorists, but I will argue that it was a conscious choice by Hobby Lobby to "smuggle" these artifacts into the country. It seems someone didn't fully know the law in regards to purchasing protected antiquities. Per the article:

Two things:

2) They bought the artifacts in an attempt to prevent the looting of these artifacts in the war-torn region. Given ISIS and al Qaeda's pursuit to destroy anything-Christian, Steve Green (owner of Hobby Lobby) attempted to protect the artifacts.

They "agreed" to pay the fine, realizing the mistake they made. THAT'S the Christian thing to do: admit your mistake, willingly pay the consequences, learn from the mistake, vow to do all you can to not make that mistake again in the future.

Sure sounds that way.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Setting aside the religious aspects, which aren't really relevant. There was no "might have been", it was more "these are definitely looted, but you probably won't get caught".

Yes, it does mean relevant.

Sapidus

Yes. Indeed it would still be news. It just wouldn't be quite as ironic.

"According to prosecutors, Hobby Lobby was warned by its own expert that acquiring antiquities from Iraq carries "considerable risk" because so many of the artifacts in circulation are stolen. " They were well aware of the risk and chose to ignore it

Two things:

1) The owner of Hobby lobby was establishing a Bible museum So what?

They "agreed" to pay the fine, realizing the mistake they made. THAT'S the Christian thing to do: admit your mistake, willingly pay the consequences, learn from the mistake, vow to do all you can to not make that mistake again in the future. " Really, thats what you take from this? When you are being investigated by federal prosecutors its often times smart to agree to a fine in lieu of further investigation and prosecution" They didn't call the prosecutors office and volunteer the information, They were under investigation

Sapidus

As to the above claim the investigation didnt have anything to do with the museum according to investigators not that it would excuse his behavior if it did.

Hobby Lobby and the Museum of the Bible are not identical, though Steve Green is president of the former and chairman of the board of the latter. The federal charges have to do with Hobby Lobby—the Museum of the Bible appears nowhere in any of the documents. “The artifacts that were referred to were never in our collection,” said one Museum of the Bible administrator in response to yesterday’s news.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/06/opinion/hobby-lobby-iraq-artifacts.html

Sapidus

Two things:

Cat got your tongue?

Sapidus

Sappy don't give a #### about that... it's only a bad thing when a cop kills one while breaking the law.

They can kill each other by the thousands for decades to come and he won't look up from his sippy cup.

Are you brain dead?