Hogan, Franchot promise big news on school start date

Should school start before or after Labor Day?

• Before

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • After

Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Columbus Day is prior to Veteran's Day. Schools may be open or not. Some have that as Parent Drop In and Disrupt Your Kid's Class Day.

Some systems have Veteran's Day as a no kids teacher in-service day.

awpitt

Main Streeter
the next federal holiday is Nov 11, Veterans Day. All the other days the schools close are by their choice and could be dropped or reprogrammed.
Is a day off to attend the county fair really that important?

Actually, the next federal holiday is Columbus Day but the point being, there's no harm on having a holiday/day off shortly after the start of school. Heck SMCPS started on the 24th and there days later they had two days off. It really makes no difference.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Columbus Day is prior to Veteran's Day. Schools may be open or not. Some have that as Parent Drop In and Disrupt Your Kid's Class Day.
Some systems have Veteran's Day as a no kids teacher in-service day.

For St. Mary's, Columbus Day is no school for kids. Teachers are working and it's a parent teacher conference day. Veteran's Day, schools are closed.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
For St. Mary's, Columbus Day is no school for kids. Teachers are working and it's a parent teacher conference day. Veteran's Day, schools are closed.

For Calvert, schools are open on Columbus Day and closed for Veteran's Day.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
It seems to me the only people really B!tching are the Unions......

Who will be blamed if test scores go down? It won't be Hogan, it won't be Mike Miller or Michael Busch (who are threatening legislation to reverse Hogan's directive). It won't be State Senator Paul Pinsky, a former teacher, who's also bitching about it.

The people who will be blamed are those dirty union (actually it can't be a union in Maryland) teachers.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Who will be blamed if test scores go down? It won't be Hogan, it won't be Mike Miller or Michael Busch (who are threatening legislation to reverse Hogan's directive). It won't be State Senator Paul Pinsky, a former teacher, who's also bitching about it.

The people who will be blamed are those dirty union (actually it can't be a union in Maryland) teachers.

Associations.

molly_21

For Calvert, schools are open on Columbus Day and closed for Veteran's Day.

Then the same week they are closed Friday for Parent/Teacher Conference. Does not make sense. Why not have Parent/Teacher conference on Columbus Day when most (granted some Gov't contractors don't have Columbus Day off) parents are off? But they have done that since I have been in H.S 20+ years ago.

intertidal

AKA "liars and thugs", language used to demean teachers - but only those who teach at public schools.

stgislander

PREMO Member

I've not read yet where Miller and Busch are threatening to reverse the directive. Did you read that somewhere? It seems like a waste of legislative time, but then again it's MD... anything to make a Rep governor look bad.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I've not read yet where Miller and Busch are threatening to reverse the directive. Did you read that somewhere? It seems like a waste of legislative time, but then again it's MD... anything to make a Rep governor look bad.

I saw it on WTOP. They would have to introduce a bill in the next legislative session and see if it passes. If so, the Governor will likely veto it. I'm not sure if it would be overridden or not.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

....and make the Union thugs happy.....