Home Buyers Beware!!!!

jeneisen

Indy Bound
I wasn't sure where to post this but I am so aggravated I wanted everyone to know. To start, I am not usually one to complain about business but I had an awful experience. I have been trying to purchase a house for about three months now and my fiancee and I have done all the proper paperwork, etc. We are going throught RBC Mortgage in Lexington Park. The reason for my complaint is that the day before closing they screwed me hard. Here is the process. Please keep in mind I am only doing this to help others who the same thing could happen to. I am not trying to slam or hurt any particular employee but I feel what happended needs to be told.

On that note, we applied for a mortgage in late June. We got pre-approved and we made an offer on a house. My fiancee didn't have the best credit so it had to go to underwriting. We had to provide explainations and letters as to issues on his credit, but all along we were being told we are approved. I kept asking is there anything else that needs done. I was told NO three times. Finally we get the final approval letter. We met with the mortgage person the Tues before closing. We went through the file to make sure everything was fine. She said it looks good. Now since I was told by her that we were approved I believed her. I sold my current house and we were staying with friends until the closing on the new house. The day before closing I just had a bad feeling for some reason so I stop into the title company to make sure everything was ok.

This home was a FSBO home so no realtors were involved so that made the process that much scarrier. When I stopped in they said everything was fine then asked me if we paid off that loan. I had no idea what they were talking about. A few months prior, RBC mentioned that to get him approved that we might have to pay off a loan of his. It wasn't a lot of money, about 2300.00. When we met the Tues before I asked her if we needed to do something and she said we were approved with no conditions. Well apparently she didn't know what she was talking about. The approval said we had to pay that loan off by closing to qualify. No one in that office ever told me that. We asked several times and no one told me. When we called them they tried to see what they could do but the best they could do was have us pay it down. Less than 24 hours before closing they do this. Had I not stopped into the title company I would have showed up at the table and lost my house. When I asked why we werent told, they said it was their fault, but its my problem. We had to come up with the money. Luckily I am the kind of person who prepares for the worse but what would have happended if I didn't? The sellers could have sued me for breech of contract and I could have lost the house.

RBC refused to take any blame for their mistake so I am just asking for anyone who is considering using them to think twice. When ever using any mortgage company make sure you see all the documents way before closing.

wildcat

Sorry to hear about your problems. My wife and I just finished buying and selling homes in the area and I have noticed one major thing. The realtors (in your case you didn't have one) and the mortgage lenders have you by the *****. You have the deadline, you have the emotional bond to the deal, you have the most to lose. That puts you in a bad spot.

You were very wise to check on the details, because you had the most to lose.

Mistakes are going to happen, but when it happens in home buying/selling it is very personal. I still get angry when I think about my lender and one of the realtors that we dealt with during our home sale.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Think about it - typically you have two agents you're working with when you buy a home: the one that's showing you around and the one who's listing the house you want to buy. Both agents are working for the seller, not you. Neither are interested in you getting a good deal - if you do, it means less money for them.

I know that there are agencies out there that are specifically buyer's agencies - I think you pay them a flat fee and they'll take care of you. Has anyone ever used something like this? If so, how was it?

wildcat

Sellers Beware Too

Even the seller is in a bad spot when closing time comes around. The seller wants to get the sale completed so he/she can move on. If somebody drops the ball near closing time then the seller could suffer. The agent or broker dropping the ball suffers very little.

My personal example was a realtor threatening to postpone the settlement date by a few weeks due to some minor misunderstanding. The realtor was being a bully because she figured we desperately needed to sell the house (we were carrying two mortgages for a few weeks). All she had to lose was a delayed commission (most likely). I don't like bullies as she soon found out.

:razz2:

VinceD

Had a similar experience when I bought my home. I gave the mortgage company $2,000 to put towards closing costs. So here comes the day of closing and they're asking for another $2000 in closing costs. I asked where the 2K is that I gave you and they had put it towards the principle on the loan. They admitted it was a mistake, but to fix it I would have had to postpone the closing, moving, etc. in order for them to redo the paperwork. They had me by the you know what's. Well, I borrowed the other 2K and closed that day, but like you, the lender had me coming and going.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Yes we are in our new house and to be honest we were thinking of paying the bill off later anyway, but to me the point that they never told me and basically said oh well just gets me going. When I make a mistake I take responsibility for it. This is a service and I think they should have done something to ease the pain a little bit. It doesn't have to be much but at least apologize. I don't think we should have been responsible to pay it since we werent' told. I think they should have had to eat that cost. As a business owner I would.

redfish

I've bought three houses and sold two. I've also re-financed about 5 times. Out of all those transactions, I can only remember one where something wasn't screwed up (gee- if it was random, you'd think it would be in my favor a couple times, but nooooo). I always ask for the closing statement ahead of time to review and catch errors.

Luckily, during my last refi, I didn't need to close the deal fast, so I was a hard*** and told them I wasn't closing unless they removed some fees that were not previously disclosed. It worked, but took an extra week. If I was moving, I couldn't have done that.

alex

I can sympathize with you. When we bought our first home my parents gave us $5,000 towards settlement. I have three (3) notarized letters stating this was a gift. A week before closing they called my parents (who live out of state) and wanted information to run a credit check on them. They wanted to see if they could afford to give us this money. The money was sitting in my bank account by that time for a month at least. My mother told them to go *** themselves. That if the IRS didn't care who were they? When I found I out I called the realtor and told them if they needed this information for the sale I didn't need the house. Boy did they drop that requirement real fast.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Okay, here's my stupid question of the day:

Why is it you can sell your car with minimal fuss, but it takes a realtor and all sorts of headache to sell a home? Why is there so much stupidity involved? Why can't you just take out a loan with your own bank, buy a house and make payments on it?

VinceD

Why is it you can sell your car with minimal fuss, but it takes a realtor and all sorts of headache to sell a home? Why is there so much stupidity involved? Why can't you just take out a loan with your own bank, buy a house and make payments on it?

You can do just about the same thing with a home if you can find one that's being "sold by owner." You cut the realtor out of the picture.

If you didn't "close"- you certainly would not be the happy new homeowners, but I am not sure you would have lost any suits prompted by any alledged "failure to comply". Most standard contracts concerning home purchases (which require financing) are contingent on the buyer being able to secure same.
FSBO's are okay- However, in the absence of a licensed Realtor, I would recommend securing an attorney to look out for my family's best interest and any last minute surprises!