Home Schooling

mAlice

professional daydreamer
And I'll agree with you on that. However, you should not be able to teach if you are not educated enough to.

So, you're assuming that if a person is a SAHM, she's not educated enough to teach her children? :lmao:

Also, you pretty much have to be a SAHM to home school, otherwise you wouldn't have time.

What a riot!

foodcritic

Sorry mominsmc - have to disagree again. Elementary schools are normally first through fifth grade (some have sixth grades while others put sixth graders in junior high). That means the kids are interacting daily with others that are differing ages. A 4 year difference means a lot to a 6 year old first grader.

By doing things outside the home, what do they do? I remember a field trip in 5th grade (over 30 years ago) where we went to a quarry to look for "gems." The most we found was some mica and garnets - but it was great to compare our finds with others in the class.

I also believe that by being home schooled, the student should not be allowed to take part in extra-curricular activities at the school - whether that be intramural sports, varsity teams or any clubs. If the child is not enrolled in the school, then that student should get no benefit the school has to offer.

Maybe at recess and at lunch they come in cotact with other different aged children but most of the time is spent in their classrooms with children their own age.

Some examples of field trips we have been on with a group of other children - Baltimore Aquarium, the mint in DC, plays at the Kennedy Center, fire stations (when they were little), not to mention all the trips we took as a family. For example we are going to Philadelphia since we are study the Revolutionary War this year.

I have to disagree with you on the extra-curricular activities. I pay my taxes like everyone else. I know some states do allow home schoolers to participate in activities. But not MD

sockgirl77

Maybe at recess and at lunch they come in cotact with other different aged children but most of the time is spent in their classrooms with children their own age.

Some examples of field trips we have been on with a group of other children - Baltimore Aquarium, the mint in DC, plays at the Kennedy Center, fire stations (when they were little), not to mention all the trips we took as a family. For example we are going to Philadelphia since we are study the Revolutionary War this year.

I have to disagree with you on the extra-curricular activities. I pay my taxes like everyone else. I know some states do allow home schoolers to participate in activities. But not MD

They're allowed to participate in Rec and Parks sports, right? It used to be that way. I had a home schooled kid on a basketball team that I helped coach a few years back.

P

PinkyDinkyDo

Homeschooling reminds me of a cult. You all will stick together and continue to bash the public school system. I think that all parents that home school should be required to take some type of education course themselves. Also is it really easy for a home schooled child to get into college?

I have seen homeschooled children in the rec sports amd 90% of the time they seem withdrawn. They cling to their parents. Kids need time away from their parent to learn to be on their own.

P

PinkyDinkyDo

They should come up with their own sports teams. They claim they do everything else together.

C

citizen_fear

Teaching your children is more than just academics,there's a medium that must be acknowledged. You need book smarts and common sense in this world and just because someone is not Einstein doesn't mean they will not be an accomplished teacher....you may need specific training in a certain field for employment and some may not have the ability to retain what they take in but that comes after "home schooling"

R

retiredweaxman

Let's not bring taxes into the discussion. I believe that if a couple have NO children and will NEVER use the school system, then they should not pay school tax. Currently, because I have a house in Pittsburgh, I pay a school tax there (as well as city, county, state, and property) - despite the fact my wife and I live here and we have no kids. But, I bought the house knowing the rules, so I am not complaining.

Sounds like the field trips you mentioned could have been classified as "normal" family activities to me and should have been happening anyway. I mean how many people live this close to the big cities and not take the kids to the monuments, Baltimore Aquarium, etc? Why count them as "school" activities when people do it everyday?

C

citizen_fear

Now that is just ridiculous. It's not the kids' faults that their parents home school them.

Why does it have to be a fault?....Give up your stand,it shows ignorance and stubborness. Home schooling isn't bad just because it's home schooling.

P

PinkyDinkyDo

What about the school dances, proms, and graduation ceremonies there kids dont get because they are home schooled.

sockgirl77

Why does it have to be a fault?....Give up your stand,it shows ignorance and stubborness. Home schooling isn't bad just because it's home schooling.

I'll leave this thread for my own benefit but I will never agree with home schooling unless it's for medical needs.

R

retiredweaxman

I'll leave this thread for my own benefit but I will never agree with home schooling unless it's for medical needs.

SOCKGIRL - no need to leave. Pinky and I are on the same page as you - even though we have differing messages and differing ways of saying our thoughts.

There are bennies to home schooling as well as there are bennies to public or private schooling. However, I personally think the negatives outweigh the positives to home schooling.

Someone mentioned a few pages ago that parents already teach their kids to do things (wiping their butt was one example) so why not teach them the things they should be learning in school? Let me counter with this - just because I can drive a car does not mean I can drive an 18 wheeler down the highway and try to parallel park it when I am through. There are some things best left to the professionals and I think schooling is one of them. they get the proper training and licensing for a reason.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
And I'm all for home schooling in the right environment. I also feel that children should be able to count change and perform mathematical equations without the use of technology. The public school system is dumbing down the students.

foodcritic

Homeschooling reminds me of a cult. You all will stick together and continue to bash the public school system. I think that all parents that home school should be required to take some type of education course themselves. Also is it really easy for a home schooled child to get into college?

I have seen homeschooled children in the rec sports amd 90% of the time they seem withdrawn. They cling to their parents. Kids need time away from their parent to learn to be on their own.

I know plenty of families that have home schooled all through high school and their children had no problem getting into college. They took the SAT's like everyone else and had a transcript of their courses.

I also know plenty of kids that are shy and introverted that go to public school. That argrument just doesn't work. Homeschooling kids get plenty of time away from their parents when they are involved in activities. But what is so wrong for parents to spend time with their kids and really get to know them. Just because I spend more time with my kids than you do with yours doesn't not make me belong to a cult.

foodcritic

Let's not bring taxes into the discussion. I believe that if a couple have NO children and will NEVER use the school system, then they should not pay school tax. Currently, because I have a house in Pittsburgh, I pay a school tax there (as well as city, county, state, and property) - despite the fact my wife and I live here and we have no kids. But, I bought the house knowing the rules, so I am not complaining.

Sounds like the field trips you mentioned could have been classified as "normal" family activities to me and should have been happening anyway. I mean how many people live this close to the big cities and not take the kids to the monuments, Baltimore Aquarium, etc? Why count them as "school" activities when people do it everyday?

How many people do you know that have the time to take their kids on "normal trips" after both parents work 40 hrs a week, do sports on weekends and have to take care of their home? Our society is so busy that people rarely do the things that parents did with their kids maybe 20-30 years ago. I only mentioned a few things. We have done the field trips to Flag Pond, etc. that all the public schools do around here.

foodcritic

What about the school dances, proms, and graduation ceremonies there kids dont get because they are home schooled.

You can join organizations that hold graduation ceremonies for home schoolers in the area, Kings Christian Academy is very home school friendly and allows home schoolers to attend their dances and extra curricular activities if you take a class at the school. After hearing what goes on at the dances at the high schools here I would not want my children going to them anyway.

Of course my kids are also not getting exposed to all the crime and violence going on in the schools either. How will they ever cope in the real world.:sarcasm:

If you don't believe me just read about how the county is now paying students to tell on other students. Must be a lot of stuff going on we don't hear about to have to pay kids.