Homeless woman has 2 dogs she won't give up

brookysmom

Parrot Rescuer
It is really hard to locate a shelter situation for people to go and have their dogs i do not care here you go. It is also difficult to locate places that will foster a dog or any animal until a owner is on their feet.

It is sad because people like this woman are faced with living in a car with their pets and it is not ideal for them or her.

I do Parrot Rescue and we offered a program that fostered parrots while a owner was dealing with homelessness or health issues and even incarceration on two occasions.
Sadly though due to lack of support for our group we are closing our doors in January. We just can not keep going we do not get enough support.
I would be more than happy to help another group do any animal by sharing any info we have in regard to the mistakes made lessons learned type things if need be.

Unsure what her exact income is but if willing to move I am in Frederick and we have some surrounding areas that are fairly cheap to live. I am sure there are a few down that way a well.
I am unable to help sadly i am in a apartment and only able to have my service dog at this time.
I am good at connecting people with services though if need be i would be happy to help with that.

Oh and the Obamaphone comment Just to let you know that program is in no way affiliated or funded by Government and it started before Obama took office Just a little FYI. :1bdz:

April

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
April thanks for helping those parrots in need. I understand about how difficult it is to fund the rescue passion. I am a matchmaker also :buddies:.

brookysmom

Parrot Rescuer
:buddies:
Yep we do not accept cash we only take actual goods or gift certificates to certain places but things have just gotten tight for everyone and i just can not keep taking in and caring for hem and no donations coming in.
We will be keeping those who are here and who we promised the owners that we would not rehome them. so we will essentially still need help just not as much.

I also will continue to network with those groups we have worked with for years.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
:buddies:
Yep we do not accept cash we only take actual goods or gift certificates to certain places but things have just gotten tight for everyone and i just can not keep taking in and caring for hem and no donations coming in.
We will be keeping those who are here and who we promised the owners that we would not rehome them. so we will essentially still need help just not as much.

I also will continue to network with those groups we have worked with for years.

We have had several requests to not re-home critters. We now only honor the wishes if they provide financial support. One kitty I promised to keep as a resident had horrible breath, so I took him to the vet. Vet checked his teeth and said he had several bad teeth, so I ended up paying over $300 for a cleaning and extractions. I approached the former owner about helping out with the bill and they said no they don't have any extra money to help. So that became my bill to pay in full.

I get contacted by people who want me to foster their critters for free while they go away for vacation or longer. They say you're a rescue, why do I have to pay ? It's apparent that many people do not realize that rescues don't get funding from the federal or state government. I had a relative that wanted me to take her daughters 2 cats she was babysitting several months, um no. Let your daughter find a place for them to go, I already have too many critters to care for awaiting adoption.

Fundraising is hard also. I've never been one to ask people for help. I've always worked and paid my own way through life. I find it hard now to ask people to donate money to help pay for the critters that need help. I do it, but I feel awkward about it for sure.

spinner

It's really great to want to help people, but be very careful. I know a woman who let a homeless woman with two little dogs stay on her couch for a week. Months later the homeless woman is still there, refuses to leave. The homeowner has been to court, because apparently no matter how much you want to you can't just toss somebody out of your house. The homeless woman must have some mental issues, I'm not sure if the issue has been resolved yet but I know it's been a real strain. This is in Charles County.

mamatutu

mama to two
We have had several requests to not re-home critters. We now only honor the wishes if they provide financial support. One kitty I promised to keep as a resident had horrible breath, so I took him to the vet. Vet checked his teeth and said he had several bad teeth, so I ended up paying over $300 for a cleaning and extractions. I approached the former owner about helping out with the bill and they said no they don't have any extra money to help. So that became my bill to pay in full.

I get contacted by people who want me to foster their critters for free while they go away for vacation or longer. They say you're a rescue, why do I have to pay ? It's apparent that many people do not realize that rescues don't get funding from the federal or state government. I had a relative that wanted me to take her daughters 2 cats she was babysitting several months, um no. Let your daughter find a place for them to go, I already have too many critters to care for awaiting adoption.

Fundraising is hard also. I've never been one to ask people for help. I've always worked and paid my own way through life. I find it hard now to ask people to donate money to help pay for the critters that need help. I do it, but I feel awkward about it for sure.

Don't ever feel awkward about asking for monetary help on this forum. Everyone here knows you are legit, care so much about critters, and go above and beyond to try to help. When I read about the need to foster, I want to so badly, but I am not in the position to do it, at least for now. I can't believe people actually ask you to "babysit" their animals. They obviously need to look up the definition of "rescue". I know you are overwhelmed right now with critters. I hope it works out for you. :huggy:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And yet when someone says they need to find a home for their dog because they're having a baby and don't have enough room for both, everyone freaks out and insists the woman get an abortion because the dog was there first and doesn't deserve to lose its home....

You all are mental.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
And yet when someone says they need to find a home for their dog because they're having a baby and don't have enough room for both, everyone freaks out and insists the woman get an abortion because the dog was there first and doesn't deserve to lose its home....

You all are mental.

OMG who said that? That would be crazy. I totally understand how a baby would be deemed to be a higher priority than their relationship with their pets. I help people re-home their pets no matter why they are giving them up. I try not to judge people because the bottom line is this, if the pet is unwanted, it will be happier where it is wanted (well usually it will). People have a right to change their mind. Some pets are more work than others, we as pet people know that. That's why we promise to take back any pets if they change their mind, be it one month or 5 years later.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
OMG who said that? That would be crazy. I totally understand how a baby would be deemed to be a higher priority than their relationship with their pets. I help people re-home their pets no matter why they are giving them up. I try not to judge people because the bottom line is this, if the pet is unwanted, it will be happier where it is wanted (well usually it will). People have a right to change their mind. Some pets are more work than others, we as pet people know that. That's why we promise to take back any pets if they change their mind, be it one month or 5 years later.

But you have seen the flipouts on here when someone comes on looking to rehome their pet, right?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
But you have seen the flipouts on here when someone comes on looking to rehome their pet, right?

well yes I guess I have, but the bottom line is that regardless of WHY they want the pet to leave ... it was gonna leave, so the only way to be helpful to the pet was to find it a home. It does no good to have hateful feelings toward the former owners, and I find more and more that the owners are usually willing to help out with a donation to help with the expenses. That shows they feel responsible for the critter. No one likes going to the shelter to drop off their pets, and they feel better knowing their pet will find a new home via a rescue.