• I never balance my check book

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • What is a check book?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...as a kid; did you do homework/study with music or did you need silence?

Back in the day, my big sister had to have WPGC on and had the music fairly loud. I could NOT concentrate unless it was pretty quiet.

Now, I find that music helps me concentrate on 'book' tasks. Like balancing the checkbook. Which I am doing right now. Which made me think of the question as the second I got organized I thought 'tunes!'. Which make me think of back in the day. When I couldn't even read unless it was quiet. Unlike now. As the bass is blowing receipts all over the desk.

awpitt

Main Streeter

Back in the day, my big sister had to have WPGC on and had the music fairly loud. I could NOT concentrate unless it was pretty quiet.

Now, I find that music helps me concentrate on 'book' tasks. Like balancing the checkbook. Which I am doing right now. Which made me think of the question as the second I got organized I thought 'tunes!'. Which make me think of back in the day. When I couldn't even read unless it was quiet. Unlike now. As the bass is blowing receipts all over the desk.
I always had to have something playing in the background. Still do when I take classes. If it's quiet, I can't concentrate.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I like to listen to music when I'm doing math, but not anything that requires writing or memorizing.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I must have quiet when I need to concentrate on something important. I can't even read a book with background noise.

MDTerps

Back in the saddle
I like to have the tv on, turned down low if I'm reading or writing a paper. Math I have to sit at a table in complete silence.

Cowgirl

If I'm reading something for pleasure, I can tune out pretty much any noise. If I'm reading something boring, I have to have quiet. I always did my homework in my room, and usually I had music playing.

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly
If it's my music I can have it on depending on what I am doing. If it is something I have to really concentrate on I want silence. I can read and have music or T.V. on. When I did my Homework I always had my radio on and got good grades so my folks wouldn't take it away!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I have to have music in the background when I'm studying. If it's too quiet, my brain goes in some very strange directions to fill in the void. :jameo:

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
I have to have silence to study otherwise I couldn't hear the voices. But then I never balance my checkbook either.

When Boy is doing his homework, the cats aren't even allowed to meow. Dog isn't allowed in the kitchen (click click click go the nails). Lord help the human that utters a sound.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
I high school I used to study to instrumental music. Words were distracting. Then in college I needed the TV on and maybe music as well, couldn't work in the quiet. Now I can read through anything, but if I have to do math I need silence.

Kids all like background noise. If its too quiet they'll fall asleep instead of work.

R

reficul_vs_dog

I love the sounds of silence.

How about "Fifty ways to leave your lover?" Thats one of my faves too :smile:

:pete:

seriously though, I have always needed to have at least tv on or music playing. I remember back in the day, if I was home alone, that stereo was going to be blastin somethin heavy and it helped me concentrate but also keep from going insane from ONLY doing homework. I remember at one point i'd even play videogames while i did homework...with music playing (like, xbox live...halo 2...). I'd sit there and do problems if I died or was on defense for capture the flag or something and then keep playing when i could lol

bcp

In My Opinion
I like it quiet.
I have often wished that I could be deaf when I wanted but be able to turn the hearing back on if needed.
I bet I could go weeks without turning on the hearing at all.

yankee44

I don't know you will have to ask my high school girlfriend what she liked when she was doing my home work for me.:lmao:

R

residentofcre

I still work better with music... or chatter of some kind... it helps me concentrate... I'm the oldest of 5 noisy spoiled kids