How are your farm critters handling the cold?

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
lots of snow outside but all is well inside the pen. This is pen #2 that has most of the polish chickens and a few others.

Since I'm from the city I admit I was shocked to see those beautiful birds in that video. They don't look like any live chickens I've ever seen. Thanks for the share.

:coffee:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Since I'm from the city I admit I was shocked to see those beautiful birds in that video. They don't look like any live chickens I've ever seen. Thanks for the share.

A few of them are "typical" chickens but most of those in that pen are Polish and they have that poofy feather-doo on the top of their heads. I fell in love with the polish chickens back in 2007 and have had some ever since. A few of my current flock are the original group I raised back in 2007 (Lacey, Sweetie,) and Big Mama was a rescue that came in 2007 I think but she was already a couple years old. So Big Mama is on girl now. That's Lacey in the first picture - the last one is my Frizzle Tolbunt Polish hen Princess.

Attachments

• 2014-02-02_15-13-27_336-2.jpg
    2014-02-02_15-13-27_336-2.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 320
  • 2014-01-20_12-40-23_737-1.jpg
    2014-01-20_12-40-23_737-1.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 356
  • 2014-01-20_12-41-53_428-1.jpg
    2014-01-20_12-41-53_428-1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 305

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
A few of them are "typical" chickens but most of those in that pen are Polish and they have that poofy feather-doo on the top of their heads. I fell in love with the polish chickens back in 2007 and have had some ever since. A few of my current flock are the original group I raised back in 2007 (Lacey, Sweetie,) and Big Mama was a rescue that came in 2007 I think but she was already a couple years old. So Big Mama is on girl now. That's Lacey in the first picture - the last one is my Frizzle Tolbunt Polish hen Princess.

So beautiful, I love the doo. Crazy about big hair anyway, I'm a throwback of the 50's/60's. lol

Thanks again. :)

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
more chicken pictures ....

Attachments

• TolbuntPolishRooster.jpg
    TolbuntPolishRooster.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 394
  • BigMama.jpg
    BigMama.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 370
  • Black_white_Polish.jpg
    Black_white_Polish.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 355
  • BlueSilkieBantam.jpg
    BlueSilkieBantam.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 379

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I never knew chickens came in so many varieties, or that I would ever say chickens are cute. :lol: Love the pics!

Big Mama is a Buff Orpington hen that came to us as a rescue many years ago. I just love her! She has foot issues so I have to keep an eye on her and take care of cleaning her feet regularly. As a matter of fact, almost all the chickens get pedicures regularly to keep their toenails trimmed. Some chickens dig so much they wear down their nails themselves, others not so much. Sometimes I take a chair in the chicken pen and sit down to observe what they do, chickens are interesting. Yesterday I saw the top Rooster chasing a juvenile rooster off the hen the juvenile mounted. The top rooster seems to spend all day chasing one of the four juveniles off his hens LOL. I think I better divide 2 or 3 the roosters around to different pens soon.

One rooster keeps coming after me when he sees my legs in the pen (he doesn't look up - just reacts to my legs as the threat). So after working with him, I started putting my hand down in front of his face when he goes into attack mode, and he stops, well yesterday I put my hand down and he bit me LOL. Hey that's not what you're supposed to do silly rooster. Oh well that just means when they go out of the pen foraging, he will be a good protector (come on Spring).