How come no one wants to talk about...

notthemama

I still remember gas prices less than a buck... so lowering the price is absolutely not on my list of things to thank anyone for.

They only raise the priced to $4.00 so they could keep it at $3.50.... soon it'll go up to $5.50 so they can move it to $4,00..... I don't know who they think they are fooling..:duel:

Vince

I still remember gas prices less than a buck... so lowering the price is absolutely not on my list of things to thank anyone for.

They only raise the priced to $4.00 so they could keep it at $3.50.... soon it'll go up to $5.50 so they can move it to $4,00..... I don't know who they think they are fooling..:duel:
By George I think she's got it. I do believe you are correct. Seriously, it does seem to run that way. The speculators drive the price way up and then the gov't says they're driving it down and voila, the oil companies make another 20 billion. :shrug: So I might die tomorrow and I won't have to worry about it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Because...

...gas prices going down by 40 cents a gallon?

...now that we've gotten used to near $4 a gallon, $.40 doesn't seem like squat. I'd say we're kinda numb to it. Let it get back under $3 and I think it will spark a psychological response. I'll be happy when it gets back under $2 where it belongs.

Now, anyone in government trying to put off drilling faces a fancy dance here the next couple months. If it stays high, they're screwed by the public pressure to get moving. If gas fall below $3, they can talk their way out of drilling as the public pressure will be off to a large extent. However, the impetus, and money, for alternatives will also suffer.

On top of that, drilling, just talking about it, dropped the price as much as it has as speculators are tentatively heading for the exits, fearful, along with some minor changes in supply and demand. So, the play would be to find a way to put of drilling, leave prices high to support alternatives AND hang on to your job long enough to see it through.

The point I keep pounding is how many dollars we, the people, are bleeding out of our economy in the mean time. Oil should be no more than $50 a barrel, tops, if that. At $115, that's $1.3 billion a day pissed away, $9 billion a week, about $40 billion a month and just under $500 billion a year.

That's about a sixth of the entire federal budget. That's $1,700 per year for every man, woman and child. Wasted to poor energy policy. How's that for a tax increase?

Kinda puts the peanuts in the stimulus give away in perspective, don't it?

Vince

...now that we've gotten used to near $4 a gallon, $.40 doesn't seem like squat. I'd say we're kinda numb to it. Let it get back under $3 and I think it will spark a psychological response. I'll be happy when it gets back under $2 where it belongs.
I would have to agree. People are just going to pay what they have to pay for gas. :shrug: I must admit I've cut down on long trips and scheduled things like shopping for groceries and such along with other trips.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
This is why...

I would have to agree. People are just going to pay what they have to pay for gas. :shrug: I must admit I've cut down on long trips and scheduled things like shopping for groceries and such along with other trips.

...I'm on a gas jihad; to remind people how HUGE these dollars are.

$500 billion dollars, which we're already spending, most going overseas, balances the budget RIGHT now with a good chunk to paying down the nation debt IF it were a tax increase. And people would scream bloody murder if anyone even proposed an annual increase that high.

Just now, everyone from Obama to McCain and all the talking heads are throwing around $700 billion a year, which they got from this web site and which I take credit for. Now, it's fallen to $500 bil and they'll keep saying $700because, at the end of the day, neither one gets it nor cares.

Gotta keep the pressure up.

bcp

In My Opinion
I still pay 4.29 right now.

pisses me off knowing its really only costing an estimated $6.00 a barrel to pull out of the ground.

ask Clevalley, hes fixing to discover this.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Ott and I just paid $3.55 for mid-grade gasoline here in New Cumberland, PA...just outside of Carlisle. :yay: