How do you get rid of snakes around your property?

SamSpade

I mean, really.
Neighbors are PROBABLY partly to blame, they had a few piles of wood which became infested with them. Copperheads, actually.

They have since gotten rid of all of the potential nests, but I've no doubt their appearance on my property has something to do with that.

SamSpade

Heard that too - don't know how to sell that idea to my wife, and she told ME that.

Repellent? Pets? Garlic? Onions? Mothballs?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Heard that too - don't know how to sell that idea to my wife, and she told ME that.

Repellent? Pets? Garlic? Onions? Mothballs?
I heard the mothball/mothflake thing a long time ago but never saw any indication it worked.

phreddyp

It seems like its a banner year for copperheads I've seen them in places I've never seen them before . I have caught a few of them with the glue traps for snakes or mice .

Lime, mothballs, snake repellent, they are just OK to keep them out of some areas. Problem is, when you put it around to keep snakes away, if there are already some in the area, they're not going anywhere.

TPD

the poor dad
Moth balls are to get rid of the mice which attract snakes. I've heard putting a lime strip around your house like they do on ball fields will keep snakes out - apparently they don't like the feel of the lime as they slither across. The sticky traps for snakes works as well based on customer feedback. There is also a product called snake-a-way. We sell some but not a lot so I'm guessing it is not that effective.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Moth balls are to get rid of the mice which attract snakes. I've heard putting a lime strip around your house like they do on ball fields will keep snakes out - apparently they don't like the feel of the lime as they slither across. The sticky traps for snakes works as well based on customer feedback. There is also a product called snake-a-way. We sell some but not a lot so I'm guessing it is not that effective.

"This product contains naphthalene (7%) and sulfur (28%) as its active ingredients. Snake-A-Way has greater than 91% repellency rate for rattlesnakes and garter snakes."

Snake-a-way

I've always heard to get rid of their food source. If you can stand the aroma of moth balls, you can drive away the snake's reason for hanging around.

SamSpade

Thanks. We've never had a problem with them before, but my wife and daughters are bothered because a baby copperhead was on our back door welcome mat. I don't think it could have been eight inches long, but my youngest is afraid to go outside.

We don't have any brush or food sources, and I do think this is just a snake who lost his home when the neighbors got rid of all the brush and wood piles THEY had. I just want to make sure they don't get any ideas.

PeoplesElbow

Thanks. We've never had a problem with them before, but my wife and daughters are bothered because a baby copperhead was on our back door welcome mat. I don't think it could have been eight inches long, but my youngest is afraid to go outside.

We don't have any brush or food sources, and I do think this is just a snake who lost his home when the neighbors got rid of all the brush and wood piles THEY had. I just want to make sure they don't get any ideas.
You most likely have food sources, mice, frogs, large bugs etc.

How do you know it was a baby copperhead? they are hard to ID as babies.

Grumpy

Baby Black Snakes look alot like copperheads..

SamSpade

You most likely have food sources, mice, frogs, large bugs etc.

How do you know it was a baby copperhead? they are hard to ID as babies.

It had the coloring of a copperhead - and it was logical, since I get almost daily reports from my neighbors about copperheads in her woodpile which is about 20 yards from my back door.

But it also doesn't matter, since I don't want snakes near or especially IN, my house.

PeoplesElbow

It had the coloring of a copperhead - and it was logical, since I get almost daily reports from my neighbors about copperheads in her woodpile which is about 20 yards from my back door.

But it also doesn't matter, since I don't want snakes near or especially IN, my house.
Most "copperheads" aren't btw. Show a snake to most folks around here and they will ID it as a copperhead.