How do you remove a stripped screw/nut inside a toilet tank?

NOTSMC

The plastic part that hooks up to the chain snapped off so the handle is not usuable. I can see how to replace the handle but I can't get I guess nut unscrewed. It gets loose at a certain point but I can't turn it with my hand and using the pliers seems to make it tighter again.

Any suggestions?

Grumpy

The plastic part that hooks up to the chain snapped off so the handle is not usuable. I can see how to replace the handle but I can't get I guess nut unscrewed. It gets loose at a certain point but I can't turn it with my hand and using the pliers seems to make it tighter again.

Any suggestions?
Hacksaw

Miker/t

Any suggestions?
Make sure you're turning it the right way. It's usually a reverse thread.

glhs837

Power with Control
What does that mean in the scheme of things? Turn it opposite of how it normally would go?
Righty loosey :)
Hacksaw Jim Duggan Wrestling GIF

GregV814

okay, get a replacement handle doo-flippy at your local hardware stote.....A plastic one will be about$9.00, a brass one is about $125.99...
Your choice.

Take it apart to see how it works and do the same with the old one for remove and replace.

That'll be $100.00

Watch for part II when I show you how to to re-grout the shower stall and replace vinyl flooring!