How does Furlough = 20% pay cut

C

czygvtwkr

No I am not a GS-3... but in MY profession, working at a big 20 corp (which some happen to be outside gate 1) I could make double, sometimes triple with equal seniority and experience. I am not an Engineer and they happen to be a dime-a-dozen down here. And you all keep pointing to starting salaries... the federal govt is not made up of interns and I would think the majority are senior experienced employees.

Feel free to call the NAVAIR HQ AIR-11 (that the attorneys supporting the admiral) anytime and ask them what a 20 year attorney is making here versus any private legal firm anywhere, USA! Betcha it is double, sometimes triple. There are other similar professions. Not all... but this is my point how flawed those reports are. But now a secretary (which we don't have anymore down here) would prolly be opposite.

Since you won't tell us what your profession is I am going to assume plumber because you are "in the toilet most of the time".

DooDoo1402

The fear of Smell
Since you won't tell us what your profession is I am going to assume plumber because you are "in the toilet most of the time".

Nobody asked me what my profession is... why should I say? I provided a prime example. Go back and re-read! Besides idiots like you will have some tripe to comment anyway... and no dickweed.. a plumber is a trade, not a profession. Does your little brain have any clue what the difference is doofuss? Go learn that, then come back and talk with the big boys!

Last edited:

sockgirl77

Nobody asked me what my profession is... why should I say? I provided a prime example. Go back and re-read! Besides idiots like you will have some tripe to comment anyway... and no dickweed.. a plumber is a trade, not a profession. Does your little brain have any clue what the difference is doofuss? Go learn that, then come back and talk with the big boys!

Plumber would be the job title. Plumbing would be the profession. Is it a trade? Yes, but it is also a profession. :yay:

DEEKAYPEE8569

I don't get it. Why does everyone keep calling the furlough a 20% pay cut. Isn't the furlough just every other Friday off? Isn't the furlough only for 6 months?

every other Friday off = 10% of your pay not 20.
if the furlough is only for 6 months it is only 10% of you pay for half the year which equals a 5% reduction on the year.

All of this furlough talk sounds like a bunch of people making a big deal about nothing.

There is a Furlough Pay Calculator Excel file floating around. You enter info from your pay stub and it calculates the Furlough pay reduction.
One column automatically calculates 20% without adjustments and the other 22% with adjustments.

Google.com - Furlough Pay Calculator

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...gQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNEh7s8kkKc08qVil6VSIH7fldMKfw

Last edited:

bilbur

It is completely ridiculous that we are giving money to anyone when we are in such a bad financial state ourselves. We need to stop throwing money around, especially to countries that would rather burn our flag than show any respect to it, and get ourselves straight. This is the equivalent to me giving a huge contribution to a food bank when I can't even afford to pay my mortgage. If we cut foreign aid for a couple of years we would probably be back in the black for the first time since the Clinton administration. I am so tired of being the world’s checkbook and we have cities and towns declaring bankruptcy in our own back yard. Maybe those cities should go to another country and ask them for some aid, oh wait the US is the only one gullible enough to throw money around like a movie star. Our government better start putting its citizens first or we will all suffer the consequences for their so called generosity.

DEEKAYPEE8569

It is completely ridiculous that we are giving money to anyone when we are in such a bad financial state ourselves. We need to stop throwing money around, especially to countries that would rather burn our flag than show any respect to it, and get ourselves straight. This is the equivalent to me giving a huge contribution to a food bank when I can't even afford to pay my mortgage. If we cut foreign aid for a couple of years we would probably be back in the black for the first time since the Clinton administration. I am so tired of being the world’s checkbook and we have cities and towns declaring bankruptcy in our own back yard. Maybe those cities should go to another country and ask them for some aid, oh wait the US is the only one gullible enough to throw money around like a movie star. Our government better start putting its citizens first or we will all suffer the consequences for their so called generosity.

Like we're not feeling it already?

SG_Player1974

We are, but things could be much worse. :cds:

Well....

Seeing as there are so many WAIVERS and rubber stamped EXEMPTIONS to the furlough going on it would appear that we will not see it getting much worse.

That is until Congress decides that there really was NO serious impact to production within the DOD and they were STILL able to save money. Then, they decide to implement the 20% reduction LONG TERM.

then I would be worried...