How important is music in your life?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
( Dancing however gives some people a high which has ALWAYS eluded me. I've dated women for whom dancing is almost as euphoric as sex. To me, it's like doing jumping jacks - it's needless motion and it doesn't do anything for me. I've danced with my wife because SHE likes it, but frankly I can't wait till it's over.

Good example. I HATE dancing. But I love working out. After the gym, I almost always get runners high. Dancing, when it stops, it's a relief. :lol:

PsyOps

Pixelated
Larry, I suppose much of what's behind your feelings on music comes from your ability to play it. I think musicians have a far deeper connection with music than non-musicians.

So, I can say that music affects me the same. I don't know who originally said it, but... if you're old enough you could say that every point in your life can be marked by an Elton John song. What else, other than music, has that effect on our lives. I'm no casual listener to music. I listen deeply into the sounds, how each relates to the other. How each instrument interacts. Funny how you can put a bunch of musicians in a room, they can all play together and become one unit of sound. There really is no other language that can do this. You can't put a bunch of people in a room, and all talk together and it make sense.

Last edited:

warneckutz

Fuels the gym workouts... Can't get by on pop songs and and the snooze-fest from classic rock. Heavy Metal all the way.

Toxick

Splat
I recently read a link that some people perceive and feel music far more deeply than others. It will literally give me goose bumps and overwhelming sense of well being, euphoria, feeling like I can leap tall buildings with a single bound. Seems that is not everyone or even close to it. Even when it's not making me high as a kite, it soothes me, provides an ongoing soundtrack to events throughout my day, is a constant presence. I dream music. It's been this way since I was 8 or so and has only gotten better with age.

So, how important is music to you and why? :popcorn:

I would say that it's very important to me. However, unless you're engaging in a little hyperbole above, I clearly don't relish it as you seem to. Very few melodies give me actual no-#### goosebumps, and I don't think I've ever felt literally "high" simply listening to music - but yes, sometimes euphoric. That said, without music, life would be pretty got-dam bland. I listen to music to help me concentrate, and also to help me unwind - to unconcentrate, if you will. I can't sleep unless there's some kind of music even a little tiny bit. If I don't have music on when I'm driving, the idiots on the road would quite literally drive me insane; it does indeed soothe my savage breast. I greedily listen to anything, however I'm very picky about what I decide to put in my regular lineup. There is at least one song from every genre (that I'm aware of) that I love.

Music does affect my mood, and if there is no music, that mood goes pretty sour, pretty fast. The decade channels on SiriusXM are the main reason I continue to gladly pay for the service (50's on 5, 60's on 6, etc...) along with the alt and hard rock stations (34-41). Sometimes I do get a lump in my throat, especially when they pull something out of the archives - mostly on the 80's channel - and it triggers memories that are so strong they're palpable. (True story: Several months ago, they played the song that was playing the first time I ever.... you know - I almost had to pull over. I hadn't heard that song in years, and it came at me like a brick). I believe these reactions are more in response to the triggered memories than the actual music.

I briefly learned a couple of instruments years and years ago - drums and piano - and I have to say that I felt a rush when I would hit the right sequence perfectly, or fall into a good rhythm. I often wish I had stuck with it, although I probably wouldn't be doing what I do now if I had - so the regret is somewhat mitigated because I am in love with what I do.

So although I don't often feel physiological responses to music, I honestly can't, and don't want, to imagine life without it.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I would say that it's very important to me. However, unless you're engaging in a little hyperbole above, I clearly don't relish it as you seem to. Very few melodies give me actual no-#### goosebumps, and I don't think I've ever felt literally "high" simply listening to music - but yes, sometimes euphoric.

For me, the goose-bump factor goes way beyond just the melody. It's all the combined parts, when they blend just right. Picking out little nuances that make me go "wow, that was really creative". Having a certain level of intensity to it. Try this one out. It's a little long if you have the patience. Use headphones if you can:

[video=youtube;LEmL6tIaYWU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEmL6tIaYWU[/video]