How long can a cat go without eating?

belvak

Happy Camper
Tuna isn't good for cats.

We don't give the girls tuna, but whenever we open a can of tuna, they get the "water" from the can in their dishes. They LOVE it!!!! We generally use this method to get them to take meds when/if they need them. Once we make it into Tuna Salad, they don't even look at it.

denisend

I'm taking care of a cat and he won't eat,only drinks water.Its been about 4 days or so. Thanks

As other people have said, call the vet.

The biggest problem is if the cat is overweight, then (as it starts using the stored energy instead of food intake), fat will deposit in the liver and cause damage.

Here's a good website:
Feline Hepatic Lipidosis ~ Pawprints and Purrs, Inc.

As far as how long they can go, one of my cats has had a lot of health problems, so he's gone through some anorexic periods. Fortunately, every time we say the words "feeding tube" in his presence, he starts eating. :lmao:

The longest we've gone was a week. We really didn't want to do the tube in that case because the problem was with his throat, but he was at a 24-hour staffed facility and they were monitoring his liver function with blood tests regularly. Usually they start pressing for a tube within 4 days.

The fact that your cat is drinking water is a good sign. If the tuna doesn't work, I'd suggest getting some KMR (kitten milk replacement) and seeing if the cat will drink some of that. The calorie/volume ratio is not high enough, but sometimes just getting something with more substance in their stomachs will "kickstart" their brains.

Good luck, and keep us updated!
Denise

Cowgirl

We don't give the girls tuna, but whenever we open a can of tuna, they get the "water" from the can in their dishes. They LOVE it!!!! We generally use this method to get them to take meds when/if they need them. Once we make it into Tuna Salad, they don't even look at it.

We used to do that too, until our vet told us that it can cause them to get UTIs. :ohwell:

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
We used to do that too, until our vet told us that it can cause them to get UTIs. :ohwell:

You know what I have always wondered? Why is it okay for a cat to kill and eat a bunny, a bird or a mouse but they can't have table scraps, or tuna juice? I would like to think that a processed, packaged tidbit might be safer than roadkill.

Cowgirl

You know what I have always wondered? Why is it okay for a cat to kill and eat a bunny, a bird or a mouse but they can't have table scraps, or tuna juice? I would like to think that a processed, packaged tidbit might be safer than roadkill.

It's not roadkill if the cat kills it, right? :lol: I think the key word you just said is processed. I think rodents and birds are safer for cats than processed food meant for humans, right? Cat food has been formulated to meet the specific needs of cats. Some people food just isn't safe for animals. :shrug:

Last edited:
M

Mousebaby

If you leave dry food down all the time chances are she is eating or at least nibbling when your not looking. Just make sure that there is always food available, and yes try a very strong smelling wet food that might tempt her. I know my cats go banana's for Fancy Feast Gourmet. Good Luck, poor kitty! :huggy: for kitty.

belvak

Happy Camper

They don't get it very often, just every once in a while. We're not big tuna eaters. We've been doing it forever and neither kitty has ever had a UTI. Guess we've been lucky.

L

luckystar

Thanks again for all the advice.

Just catching up to this thread today. Did wet food work? Is he or she just away from home and nervous? Hope the kitty doesn't get sick. Heed the advice on an overweight cat not eating if that's the case. I've heard bad things about that on some cat communities on livejournal. It gets dangerous, and of course expensive.

Please let us know how the kitty's doing!

L

luckystar

They don't get it very often, just every once in a while. We're not big tuna eaters. We've been doing it forever and neither kitty has ever had a UTI. Guess we've been lucky.

Same here. The only way I can keep one of my cats off the counter while I'm trying to make tuna salad is if I give him the water to lap up out of a plate and try to beat the world record for making tuna salad (before all the tuna-water's gone).

I don't make tuna very often anymore though. Mostly because I hate trying to get the mayo and relish in the tuna before my cat finishes the water, lol.

Cowgirl

Same here. The only way I can keep one of my cats off the counter while I'm trying to make tuna salad is if I give him the water to lap up out of a plate and try to beat the world record for making tuna salad (before all the tuna-water's gone).

I don't make tuna very often anymore though. Mostly because I hate trying to get the mayo and relish in the tuna before my cat finishes the water, lol.

It might be easier to just train your cat. :eyebrow:

catlingirl

The cat is eating again. I was so glad when I got home from work and went over there and saw the food was gone. Yay!!!.Of course the cat is still hiding but as long as he's eating.