how much do you feed?

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
How much pasture do you have? Make sure you weigh the grain. Hows their teeth? How much are they ridden and how long? time-miles
they have the whole front yard back,sides what ever they want..we rotate them when one gets low we move them to higher grass.. there teeth are ll been done .. we have been riding them more now that they are home.. around here about an hour or so 1 time a week and trail rides 2-3 hour rides at least 1 amonth..

Robin

they have the whole front yard back,sides what ever they want..we rotate them when one gets low we move them to higher grass.. there teeth are ll been done .. we have been riding them more now that they are home.. around here about an hour or so 1 time a week and trail rides 2-3 hour rides at least 1 amonth..

What are their ages? that does not seem like alot of riding.

Robin

How often do you worm. Like devine said perhaps a dosse of quest plus to everyone just to knock that off the list.

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
tc - so qhs are still losing weight? that's too bad.

hard to say about lowering the feed without seeing them. have you compared them to a body condition chart? how are they on that?

you could try adding some alfalfa, beet pulp, etc. get their teeth floated. make sure they are dewormed properly - there are resistances to ivermectin, i'd try quest plus to get rid of everything.

no they were (i thought ) because of the tack change but it makes sense about the stretching.. were can I get a body condition chart? they are on a worming schedule I buy for the year and they send each kind I need..

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Depends on the horse, amount of work, quality of feed, etc.

My guys:
17.2h 1450 pd 14yr Percheron Stallion worked about 3x week. 4pds Nutrena Compete + 1cup oil 2x day

17h 1600 pd 8 yr American cream draft mare worked about 1x a week. 2.5 Pds Nutrena Compete.

15.1h 1100 pd 22 yr old QH mare 3 pds Nutrena Triumph.
15.2h 1000 pd 15month wb x draft 1 pd triumph, 1 pd compete, 1 pd calf manna.

Everyone is twice daily. The two drafts also get vit e and selenium. All get lots of hay.

Robin

no they were (i thought ) because of the tack change but it makes sense about the stretching.. were can I get a body condition chart? they are on a worming schedule I buy for the year and they send each kind I need..

Henneke Body Scoring - Habitat for Horses - Equine Protection Organization - Horse Rescue, Rehabilitation, Horse Education and Adoptions

are you grooming your pastures dragging the fields with a harrow or picking and removing manure. You can worm a horse and put them back out on a field that has not been cleaned picked or harrowed and have them get infested again in a short time. Almost in effective worming program.

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
Henneke Body Scoring - Habitat for Horses - Equine Protection Organization - Horse Rescue, Rehabilitation, Horse Education and Adoptions

are you grooming your pastures dragging the fields with a harrow or picking and removing manure. You can worm a horse and put them back out on a field that has not been cleaned picked or harrowed and have them get infested again in a short time. Almost in effective worming program.

yes If you knew my husband you would not have to ask that question the horses are only allowed on the yard if we clean it.. see when we bought the farm I saw grass for the horses he saw a front lawn (not) we do not have stalls yet but we do have a run in and even that gets cleaned out..

Robin

If you do the math and use a scale, for all the horses I have I go through 34lbs a day x 7 is 238lbs a week I get 5 bags. 1 bag streches almost 10 days for the one horse

Robin

yes If you knew my husband you would not have to ask that question the horses are only allowed on the yard if we clean it.. see when we bought the farm I saw grass for the horses he saw a front lawn (not) we do not have stalls yet but we do have a run in and even that gets cleaned out..

how many acres?

Robin

what type of grass? fescue, timothy, orchard grass? Just because it is green and growing doesn't mean that it has nutrition.

Robin

not sure I think about 4 or 5 right now..don't know what type of grass ..i am guessing for horses because the people that lived here before had horses and they had the whole yard to graze also..

Check your tack.....And perhaps do a quest plus worming. won't hurt, if in doubt see if the vet can do a parasite count with a sample just to rule it out.:whistle:

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
not sure I think about 4 or 5 right now..don't know what type of grass ..i am guessing for horses because the people that lived here before had horses and they had the whole yard to graze also..

Don't assume. Many horse people don't know squat about pasture management. We seed with a pasture mix, lime, and fertlize with 19-19-19 every year. We have gorgeous, strong grass.

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
Don't assume. Many horse people don't know squat about pasture management. We seed with a pasture mix, lime, and fertlize with 19-19-19 every year. We have gorgeous, strong grass.

well this is our first year here actualy only 8 months so next year we will be more into seeding and all ..

Robin

well this is our first year here actualy only 8 months so next year we will be more into seeding and all ..

If you seed this fall you will have a stronger crop in the spring. Skip a year and you will have more weeds.

seed in the fall before the first frost if you miss it you can seed early early spring

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
My horse gets a handful of grain in the am/pm right now. He gets 2/3 flakes in the AM and 2 at noon time. At night he is on pasture with good green grass. His girth size has gone up to a 50 from a 48. He is a Appendix QH that drops weigth when he gets stressed or anixous.

At shows or in trailer he gets as much hay as he wants.

Duckz

TotalControl, do you have a weight tape? You could check them once a week or so and make notes to see if weight is trending down, up, or staying the same. Or maybe you'll notice they always tend to drop at certain times of the year. I find it really hard to eyeball weight gain or loss when it's a horse I see almost every day.

As for my guy, he gets two scoops of blue seal pellets morning and night, plus whatever he steals from the other horses. Lots of grass in his field right now so he eats pretty much 24/7. They put hay out when the grass gets scarce. Frankly I think he gets too much food, but he's top horse and they get fed all at once, no point in cutting his grain as he would just steal everyone else's. He's also been known to snack on rocks :coffee: so he gets sand clear supplement.