huh?

GregV814

which is it?

SamSpade

It's been my observation that - in general - home OWNERSHIP tends to have a powerful lowering effect, on crime.

At least - in suburbia. Suburbs where everyone rents tend to be worse than ones where everyone OWNS.

limblips

PREMO Member
It's been my observation that - in general - home OWNERSHIP tends to have a powerful lowering effect, on crime.

At least - in suburbia. Suburbs where everyone rents or gets free or subsidized housing tend to be worse than ones where everyone OWNS.
FIFY

SamSpade

Just - I've noticed that in neighborhoods where everyone rents - there's like zero pride in keeping up the property, no matter what the landlord requires. Even my sister rented for years - and when I last went her house in Mont County when she lived there - it was horrible.

But on her OWN - her property is neat as a pin.

This is similar to what was learned, with the early Pilgrims, when it came to gardening and managing crops - when the crops were all communally owned, they didn't prosper. When they were privatized - the productivity exploded. People tend to take care of things, when it's theirs.

Plus - home ownership TIES you to an area. You can't just take off if it suits you. Tends to attract people who want to stick around.

limblips

PREMO Member
When your own money is spent to purchase something you take better care of it. When it is given for free there is no investment to manage. I purchased 3 cars for my daughter before I said no more., She wouldn't check the oil, rotate tires, wash them or do any other routine upkeep. Now that she bought her own it is never dirty, all regular maintenance is done, she parks further away from door dingers etc....

Last edited: