Huh

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Pete said:
Better than the lunchroom ladies in the Ga public school system? Oh baby :yum:
I'm sure those lunchroom ladies were mighty fine cooks, but one bite of mine and you'd be on your knees begging for more. :wink:

I also make a great peach kuchen and awesome peach upside-down cake. :yum:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
vraiblonde said:
I just ate cottage cheese for the first time in my whole entire life.

It was...interesting.
I've never had it before, but always wanted to try it. I'm thinking that since Christy got me to LOVE cabbage, I might be able to give this a try.

MLE

flibberdejibbit
vraiblonde said:
Mike, don't drip that all over the carpet, you hear? :lol:

I think "interesting" is as far as I'm prepared to go. :ohwell:

It is definitely an acquired taste- and I have come to love it (As sad as that sounds)- I will actually choose it over sour cream on potatoes, and it is good in salad, and on top of toasted bagels, or with grape nuts mixed in. The salt-free stuff is FOUL though- yargh! I don't advise that at ALL!

MLE

flibberdejibbit
cattitude said:
:yeahthat:

Although I used it in a great WW Sloppy Joe Casserole recipe last night. :yay:

I use it in my Lasagne instead of ricotta- it is much better- consistency is better and the taste is actually better - makes the lasagne kind of juicy instead of dry and nasty...

MLE

flibberdejibbit
Pete said:
I love it, especially large curd.
We used to make butter in an old tub style washing machine that was modified. The impeller had paddles on it to churn better. 35 gallons of milk in it, turn it on and wait. We used to skim the butter balls off and press and salt them into molds. We never bought butter, milk, cottage cheese from the store.

Salt and pepper on Cottage cheese :yay:

My parents spend an anniversary in Norway at a dairy farm b&b and although none of it was 'Pasteurized' they said it was fantastic. There apparently was a cardiologist there with them from the US who couldn't eat enough of their dairy products- he said that because it isn't pasteurized, the fat globules are too big to be absorbed by your body and pass harmlessly out instead of clogging your arteries...wierd...

MLE

flibberdejibbit
Pete said:
My grandma has a seperate kitchen for doing much of that stuff. She used to hang the cottage cheese in cheese cloths in that kitchen with wash tubs underneath to catch the whey as it dripped off. My job was to keep the cats out. :lol:

Speaking of curds and whey...
When we were in Greece I had the BEST FRIGGIN yogurt of my LIFE! Apparently they take whole milk (goat?) and strain it really good first- then stir it- it is like heavy cream- whipped, but heavier- you add some of their GREAT honey (oh MAN what comes out of those bees over there is pure golden orgasm in a jar) on it and stir it up- holy crap- I could have that until I essploded! SOOOO goood- I have YET to replicate their yogurt- though I have strained ever brand from here to California- I do have some of their honey though (at 50 Euro a bottle (to have it shipped from Greece+), you might as well be doing X- yes, it is that good- well, if you like honey).

MLE

flibberdejibbit
BadGirl said:
When growing up, my goofy dad always called it small CRUD cottage cheese.

It was funny at the time.

When my hubbie and I see that new 'Carb Control' yogurt, we get the giggles so bad people avoid us like we are crazy, but when we see it we can't help but ask each other if we need some of that 'Crab Control'...

MLE

flibberdejibbit
Pete said:
My grandma also made a sweet Easter Cheese with raisins in it. :yay: Come to think of it she made alot of good stuff.

Chili sauce - Great in bean soup

Apple butter - Made it in a huge copper kettle, had to be copper or she said it would not work

OMG dill pickles, we used to grow a ton of pickles and our own dill weed and garlic. Hers were never cooked, cold pickled in crocks kept in the walk in cooler. She used to make about 5 - 5 gallon crocks of dill pickles a year.

Sweet pickles, pickled watermellon rind

Canned enough peaches in mason jars to feed Etheopia

Canned tomatos

We used to pick up peacans form the trees across the road.

My uncle was the baker, he used to make a Red Velvet Cake that would make you slap grandma if she went for the last piece.

We smoked our own hams and bacon. I had to go out and put more chips in the burner every hour. :mad:

We always had chickens, when they stopped laying they got turned out to fend for themselves. It was then I learned that an old big chicken is not that good to eat. I killed a free ranger by accident and I took it to grandma and was upset because she didn't want to use it. She had pity on me and we cleaned it and plucked it. She boiled that monsterous chicken for hours and you still could barely eat it. She diced it up and we had chicken soup. :lol:

I miss those times. Except the parts that sucked. :lmao:
I think I just realized why everyone in my family is "big" :killingme

OMG! I want to hang out at your house! mmmm....