Hungry people in St. Marys County

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I've found that the people who need the most help, rarely ask for it. The people who melt my heart are the ones I discover by accident, because they don't ask for anything. The ones that work their ass off and sometimes can only afford bread and ramen are almost never the ones signing up for free stuff. These people I have truely helped in the past, when I discovered them accidently or through someone else. They have too much pride to ask for help, and that pride is what keeps them working their butt off...they go hand in hand.

And if kids go hungry, I can also bet it is rarely those hardworking, working poor you hear so much about. Those people work their butts off, and their children are first on the list. I cannot, and will not, waste my sympathy and heart on people who make piss poor choices and then suffer the consequences. I cannot begrudge a child food, which is why I am not so vehemently opposed to school lunch programs as I am to other things...but I also have a hard time with people using their children as bait for the do gooders. And they do.

tipsymcgee

Yeah, when I go to Shopper's and see a Latin American buying a case of ramen, and only a case of ramen, that's who I'd like to help. Not someone on a list we don't know about.

ginwoman

There a several ways that children can go to bed hungry. The income levels at social services don't represent the real-life situations around here. Once rent has to be paid, utlities, and the other basics of life are paid there are often times for families around here (especially for single parents) where the parents make just over what social services says is allowable but there is barely money left to buy groceries. I've seen it. I lived it as a child, I am trying to help family going through this right now.

Does your name start with a P and you're looking for a washer for a needy family?

Roman

IF a child goes to bed hungry there are only one or two people to blame.. and that is the parent(s).

If you put your kids to bed hungry, then go outside to smoke a cigarette YOU are the problem.

If you've never had more than a minimum wage job but have 8 kids.. YOU are the problem..

If you have more beer than juice boxes in the fridge, YOU are the problem..

I'm sorry, maybe I'm not the norm anymore, but I would starve before my kids EVER went to bed hungry, and I would shovel #### to ensure they never had to.

Before I provide for someone else's kids they need to show me what they've done to provide for their own, and that doesn't mean showing how they fell through a gov't programs cracks.
Very well stated itsbob, and I agree with you 100%. But when I think that in this day, and age, that there are Children that are hungry, it breaks my heart. Those kids didn't ask to be born.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I've found that the people who need the most help, rarely ask for it. The people who melt my heart are the ones I discover by accident, because they don't ask for anything.

Bingo. The single mom and her kids that I assisted for some years didn't ask me to do what I did. I saw a real need...and recognized it as one I could pretty easily help out with.

BOP

I'm sorry, Wanda D.

Someone should have warned you.

This is the wrong place to try to rally support for anything that might help others that are less fortunate. There is a small group here that will fervently jump on anyone that even brings up anything along those lines.

While yours is a great idea, a just and worthy cause and I commend you for helping the less fortunate; I doubt that this is the right place to ask for others to think about people besides themselves.

Many of us here have been less fortunate, moron. And we did receive a helping hand. It was given because we asked, and because we proved we looking for a hand up, not a hand out.

I doubt you'll find many on this board who don't give time and/or money to help the less fortunate. We remember how it was. But we're also very selective in what causes we give to. We give to help people help themselves. We despise people that are looking for people like us to support them when we've come from so little, busted our humps, and have achieved at least a modest amount of success.

I'd venture to say that the only people on this board who don't give of their time and/or money are the ones who think that because we're successful, WE (and not they) ought to provide for people who are too lazy to help themselves.

Ring any bells there smibboy?

BOP

Never singled anyone out nor did I say that the forum as a whole was a bad place.

You're about a dishonest little frack, ain'tcha?

This is what you originally posted, in its entirety, not that little bit of a quote:
Originally Posted by smibarines View Post
I'm sorry, Wanda D.

This is the wrong place to try to rally support for anything that might help others that are less fortunate.
There is a small group here that will fervently jump on anyone that even brings up anything along those lines.

While yours is a great idea, a just and worthy cause and I commend you for helping the less fortunate; I doubt that this is the right place to ask for others to think about people besides themselves.

ironintestines

Non-Premo
I take issue with the ones who farm their own misfortunes with the goal to enable themselves to qualify for assistance.

One man told me he can drive his Cadillac at night. I didn't understand what he meant at first. There is an art to being poor, if that's what you want.

LadyCoyote

LC, I think we all know there are legitimately poor families, and most of us are happy to help them. It's the ones that scam the system and can't feed their children because their cellphone bill is too high, or cigarettes and beer cost too much, that we have a problem with. That ruins it for everyone and causes people like me to be cynical and question whether a family *really* needs help or not.

If some chickie can pay for an elaborate hairdo and get her fake nails done, she can certainly feed her children.

I agree with you, on that. And sadly, there are a LOT of folks that do take advantage. I once helped w/ a church Angeltree and saw some kids that were requesting sophisticated tech-y gadgets and things that I think most adults couldn't afford. Happy to help with the Angeltree but sorry, nobody is going to buy a Wii for you.

inkah12102

My family was on Mike's list one year. We weren't starving for sure, but money was VERY tight and times were rough. My family, my kids needed desperately to know that someone out there cared for them that year. We were touched and blessed at the mere offer of a kind hand. As it was, yet another family tragedy called us out of town and we never got the delivery. But I will never forget that call...

And I am one who tends to think that most homelessness is self inflicted and agree that hungry children are hungry b/c of their parent's neglect. But you never know what benefit the kindness you do for people provides. You may just touch the deepest part of their need w/o ever knowing it.

People of all stations in life need to see kindness.

MusicLadyMd

You are RIGHT1

I agree that there are people who choose beer and cigarettes over their kids..
I also agree about the free or tax payer food at school.
The project im undertaking here is to help all year around.
Like when the kids are on Christmas break.... or summertime...

I know there are a lot people on here that wont give a flip but im sure there are others who will.

Simple things like buy one get one free at grocery store give the free one to the soup kitchen or food bank.

or if you have coupons for cereal, peanut butter, jelly or canned meats drop them off there too then we can purchase things that the food bank doesnt provide.

Our system here in the county buys food for 18 cents a pount but usually it doesnt have cereals, meats or fresh fruit or veggies.

So sure there will always be people in the area who take advantage... but if what I am doing with the help of a few good people who care can feed one kid who would not have food this is worth it I think.

I would rather give a kid a meal than a toy at Christmas... but then again both wouldnt be bad either.

I know a lot of people have it hard right now. There are times I thank God that I dont have any kids at home its all me and hubby can do to take care of ourselves but even we can get a buy one get one food and help out.
All im asking here is if this is something you can get behind thanks if not
thats ok too.
Everyone have a great weekend and we will talk again soon.

IF a child goes to bed hungry there are only one or two people to blame.. and that is the parent(s).

If you put your kids to bed hungry, then go outside to smoke a cigarette YOU are the problem.

If you've never had more than a minimum wage job but have 8 kids.. YOU are the problem..

If you have more beer than juice boxes in the fridge, YOU are the problem..

I'm sorry, maybe I'm not the norm anymore, but I would starve before my kids EVER went to bed hungry, and I would shovel #### to ensure they never had to.

Before I provide for someone else's kids they need to show me what they've done to provide for their own, and that doesn't mean showing how they fell through a gov't programs cracks.

MusicLadyMd

This is exactly the right place LOL

Even the people against this will TALK about the crazy lady on smonline trying to help hungry kids BUT THATS ok

THe person they tell might care and check it out

Either way the word is out now so the ball is in your court ...
are you going to sit around complaining about the system if so
maybe you should run for President...

or do something

:smoochy:

I'm sorry, Wanda D.

This is the wrong place to try to rally support for anything that might help others that are less fortunate. There is a small group here that will fervently jump on anyone that even brings up anything along those lines.

MusicLadyMd

thank you for the soup!!!!

Soup is great give it to any food bank or pantry in the area!

I appreciate your thoughts and agree but I also know the right thing to do here is try to help

In the 1920's, soup kitchens served uncountable numbers of people able and willing to work, who couldn't find a job. Right or wrong, that's what the communities did, and in some cases some federally-funded programs did all that (I hope I got that right).

It actually set a bad precedent, because people learned there was an alternative to working for what you get. I wouldn't be surprised to see that this problem has existed in significant numbers only since that time, and that it has worsened since the 1960's when there was such a push to support those who weren't currently employed (and the by choice or not by choice definition diminishes to the point of nonexistence).

The idea that the commune supports all regardless of contribution is fatally flawed. Look at the records from Polish rebel/underground communities in WWII and you will find that everyone was expected to contribute something in return for communal support.

I wish people would have the backbone in this country to live up to their identity. Seventy years ago today, 3,000 people died and the nation was galvanized to mobilize. Nowadays, people don't get galvanized over anything. Their are no stiff upper lips or straight backbones, except in a very few. Somehow it's not cool to stand up and be counted as one who EARNS the food and the cash.

There are lots of photos of men and women in what we would think of as clothes suitable for an office setting, bent over in the fields and harvesting crops, from those days. Photos of guys in suits sweeping sidewalks. Photos of people in tatters of what used to be formal dress chasing down a boxcar to get to a job or run from a crime based on want. The point is that most, by a huge majority, were after only the basics as the bottom line. Not so, anymore, killing people for a bit of electronics or a car that would be ditched in a day or so, in the same neighborhood.

The character, you see, the backbone, that made Americans great at one time, is all but gone.

So people on the dole are no longer people to pity, but people to treat with distrust and in some cases, disdain, by the common man's measure.

Nevertheless, I have a collection of soups going someplace, one of the charities, before Christmas.

PrepH4U

I agree that there are people who choose beer and cigarettes over their kids..
I also agree about the free or tax payer food at school.
The project im undertaking here is to help all year around.
Like when the kids are on Christmas break.... or summertime...

I know there are a lot people on here that wont give a flip but im sure there are others who will.

Simple things like buy one get one free at grocery store give the free one to the soup kitchen or food bank.

or if you have coupons for cereal, peanut butter, jelly or canned meats drop them off there too then we can purchase things that the food bank doesnt provide.

Our system here in the county buys food for 18 cents a pount but usually it doesnt have cereals, meats or fresh fruit or veggies.

So sure there will always be people in the area who take advantage... but if what I am doing with the help of a few good people who care can feed one kid who would not have food this is worth it I think.

I would rather give a kid a meal than a toy at Christmas... but then again both wouldnt be bad either.

I know a lot of people have it hard right now. There are times I thank God that I dont have any kids at home its all me and hubby can do to take care of ourselves but even we can get a buy one get one food and help out.
All im asking here is if this is something you can get behind thanks if not
thats ok too.
Everyone have a great weekend and we will talk again soon.

:clap: I wish you lots of success. Times are very tough and I think many people in this area are in the "working poor" group. They make too much for assistance but not enough for their basic needs. I think we all become a little jaded when we see the outright abuse of the system and we all tend to distrust others quite a bit.
I have quit helping with toys because of what we witnessed during delivery. But I will never turn down a plea for help to help feed or clothe people. I think the need will become a lot worse before it gets better. Good luck to you and your group.

sockgirl77

Apparently you didn't see the threads where someone needed help at Christmas and a whole bunch of forumites gave food, money, presents, and decorations.

We who give have a right to question those who receive.

Then again, a few years back some of us gave to a "needy" forumite and she was seen partying it up at a local strip joint a few weeks later. I do not blame anyone for being skeptical on here. :shrug:

sockgirl77

I was a pre-teen the year my family volunteered to fill our van and run stuff to various families on the list for Mike... we only did it that one year because we soon realized many that we were delivering to had plenty.

Myself and a coworker have signed up to volunteer for 2 days. I hope this is not the case. :ohwell:

sockgirl77

I am being told that people do not sign up to receive donations from Mike's. I am told that government agencies supply them with a list. :shrug: