I am NOT washing clean clothes!!

smcop

That's disgusting. Just because a person doesn't have dirt on the clothes doesn't mean they aren't dirty. There is still sweat and unseen bacteria on them. Do you not bathe if you can't see dirt?

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
Yes I work a full time job but even if I didn't things would not change, as I believe children should be prepared to go out into the world (parents job)
My 11 yr old son does his own laundry(wash, dry, fold and put away) takes dogs out, feeds and waters dogs, sweeps floors, takes out the trash, cleans his own room (including vaccuming and washing his window) helps with cooking dinner, putting away groceries, picking up odd and ends around the house.

I believe that yes his father teaches him the "Manly things" ie: cutting the grass, working on cars, cleaning up the yard, so he will be a good hubby to someone someday but what if that day doesn't come shortly after leaving home, then what he can't cook for himself, clean up his own house, or have clean clothes to wear. I don't think so. So he learns to do a little bit of everything...

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Yes I work a full time job but even if I didn't things would not change, as I believe children should be prepared to go out into the world (parents job)
My 11 yr old son does his own laundry(wash, dry, fold and put away) takes dogs out, feeds and waters dogs, sweeps floors, takes out the trash, cleans his own room (including vaccuming and washing his window) helps with cooking dinner, putting away groceries, picking up odd and ends around the house.

I believe that yes his father teaches him the "Manly things" ie: cutting the grass, working on cars, cleaning up the yard, so he will be a good hubby to someone someday but what if that day doesn't come shortly after leaving home, then what he can't cook for himself, clean up his own house, or have clean clothes to wear. I don't think so. So he learns to do a little bit of everything...

I just don't get why people put so much emphasis on the "difficulties" of cooking, doing laundry, ect. Its not that they're hard, they are just time consuming and get old to constantly do for others. Cooking...you follow the directions or recipe exactly and chances are that the finished product will at least be close to what it was supposed to be. Laundry...you put the clothes in and don't try to force too many in the washer/dryer and you follow the detergent bottle to know how much to put in....these things are pretty painless IMO

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
I just don't get why people put so much emphasis on the "difficulties" of cooking, doing laundry, ect. Its not that they're hard, they are just time consuming and get old to constantly do for others. Cooking...you follow the directions or recipe exactly and chances are that the finished product will at least be close to what it was supposed to be. Laundry...you put the clothes in and don't try to force too many in the washer/dryer and you follow the detergent bottle to know how much to put in....these things are pretty painless IMO
Yea, and you still live at home with mommy.:whistle:

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Yea, and you still live at home with mommy.:whistle:

only 18 and fulltime at work and I go to school thanks :yay:

could I move out and afford it, easily.

why do it yet when I can still live there rent free and have parents that are nice enough to help me with stuff like making me a meal whenever i'm going to be late getting home or something?

Cowgirl

why do it yet when I can still live there rent free and have parents that are nice enough to help me with stuff like making me a meal whenever i'm going to be late getting home or something?

I just don't get why people put so much emphasis on the "difficulties" of cooking, doing laundry, ect. these things are pretty painless IMO

:lmao: Yeah, ok.

sanchezf

Little ol' Me

I agree 100% this is why he does only his laundry (about once aweek) and cooking he helps but think the experience of doing it growing up is very helpful later in life.

sanchezf

Little ol' Me

And that is all great but did one or both of your parents show you how to do these things for when you do move out.

Please tell me that at 18 you do your own laundry..

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
I remember the summer I was 15. Dad was farming tobacco that year and Mom was working for the government. I had to clean the house, make a full meal for 8-12 farmhands, clean up after them, including washing all the dishes by hand because the dishwasher was broken. Then I had to make dinner and have the laundry done (mine, as well as well as mom's, dad's and my two brothers) by the time mom got home from work in DC. Then after dinner had to do the dishes again.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

And that is all great but did one or both of your parents show you how to do these things for when you do move out.

Please tell me that at 18 you do your own laundry..

i've already explained the laundry thing.

and actually...no, they didn't now that I think of it. I do my own laundry when on vacation and whatever, or like if they aren't home...but the situation with the laundry is that mom always leaves her stuff in the washer/dryer/both and I am not doing everyone's laundry in the house (Well, sis does her own at times, but for the most part mama does it).

I CAN cook, clean, do laundry...but when I have someone offering to happily do it, why would I turn it down? (I'm not sure, but I just did because I told mom I wanted to have a day or two for her to not have her laundry in there so I can get my own crap done and it doesn't just sit :lmao:)

but honestly I can't remember my parents teaching me how to do laundry, or cook, or anything like that really. cooking I just picked up and I prefer to make my own recipe off of an existing one, but for the most part if i'm cooking it just requires following directions on a package :lmao:....and laundry is just ez...how do you need someone to teach you that? trial and error if anything just so you know how much is too much...but I mean...honestly?

Last edited:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
If your washer and dryer is not down in the basement or some far off place in the house it is easy to do laundry around other chores. My machines are located in a place where I can clean in my kitchen/wash dishes etc/cook dinner/ or even clean another room that is near by while I wash clothes. It's not so bad, I usaully am always doing something else/another chore while I wash clothes.
I'd rather my washer be in the basement instead of in a little room just off of the kitchen where it is in this house. I like to gather up all the dirty clothes in the whole house and bring them to the laundry room where I can sort them as I put them in the machine. With it almost in my kitchen there is no room to do that. It's no hardship to check go to the basement from time to time to check on it.

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
I guess I was just raised differently. Entering bootcamp when I got drafted I was amazed that fully 90% of these college grads couldn't make their bed, fold their clothes or just stand in line without flapping their jaws. No sir, yes sir were Greek to them. Book smart and stupid about everything else.