I am relocating to your area...maybe

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by dpete2q
Thanks BK,
I will certainly wait my turn when is comes to hitting on single women. I was hoping that the availability and quality would be better than Maine, but thats another story.

By the way, I am wearing blue jeans, a LL Bean canvas shirt and white New Balance sneakers, just in case you were wondering. :lol:

Bk's got competition! :neener: :banana:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by bknarw
Oh...so you take great delight in this, do you?
:eek:
QUIT MAKING FUN OF MY FACE!!!
:razz:

Anything that bugs you gives me great pleasure. What kind of friend would I be if it didn't?

:eek: :lol:

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Originally posted by pixiegirl
Anything that bugs you gives me great pleasure. What kind of friend would I be if it didn't?

:eek: :lol:

QUIT MAKING FUN OF MY FACE!

Last night, my MOM made fun of my face, too.
This is getting ridiculous...
:frown:

Tim Mcneil

I just moved here from Montgomery County outside of DC. Man, it is much nicer here. There IS actually open space. I love it here. Hollywood is a nice area especially for us redneck folk. :biggrin: I would suggest Leonardtown as well but if you have the money, look into Breton Bay. It's a great country club neighborhood. I can't afford it though :frown:

Pete

Repete
I doubt I could afford it either but I will check. A country club eh? Would I have to wear a sweater with a little crest embroidered on it?

Ok, I have been checking out real estate online and what is the deal with electric heat? In Maine if you put electric heat in a house the state guys with a big butterfly net will come and carry you away. Granted it's alot colder here, but still. I am unfamiliar with this "heat pump" deal........will one of you Tim Taylor types clue me in?

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
Yep, Hollywood is nice & quiet... I live in Town Creek, nice neighborhood. We are renting now & looking to buy. We've been here 3 years, I also retired from the Navy and moved here from WA state to be a slimy contractor :wink: SM is a nice place, mostly nice people, sh**ty drivers though. :burning: I don't recommend Franzen Realty (can I say that?) Oh well...:biggrin: : Coming from Maine, you'll get a kick out of how folks around here react to snow! The base has a pretty good relocation service...Retired Activities Representative 342-4911/ 757-1885 (The 757 number is for calling off base, area code 301...)

pilot

dpete2q:

We have a heat pump in our house and I think it's perfect for this area. It works fine in the winter, but the real benefit is in the summer. It makes an extremely efficient air conditioner, and is a lot cheaper than trying to cool your house with electricity alone. Considering how hot it gets here in the summer (and how long the summers are), it's something to think about.

Another thing to consider is that the weather changes constantly. It's not uncommon to have days in January that are warm enough to need only a light coat. Then, two days later, it will be below freezing. Because the heat pump acts as both a heater and an air conditioner, it can very efficienty switch back and forth between the temperature ranges.

If you do go with a heat pump, some things to consider are:

(for a larger house)--Make sure you get either a very large heat pump or two heat pumps. Many people complain that heat pumps don't warm the place up enough, when the problem is that they simply bought too small a heat pump. In any case, winters here are pretty short--much shorter than Maine. We really only have a few weeks out of the year where it gets much below freezing.

It's good to have some sort of back-up system just in case the electricity does go out. Our house has a woodburning stove that's capable of heating the entire place in an emergency. Some of the newer homes have propane back-ups.

All in all, I'm totally sold on heat pumps. They work perfectly for this area, where the summers are hot and long, and the weather in the winter varies on a daily basis.

Pete

Repete
Thanks,
I read on onother thread that you guys had a "little" dusting of snow a week ago....was it 6-8 inches? We had 40 the during the Christmas break, it's piled everywhere. Can't say I will miss it at all !! Hmmmmmmm wonder if I should bring my snow blower?

Christy

b*tch rocket
I doubt I could afford it either but I will check. A country club eh? Would I have to wear a sweater with a little crest embroidered on it?

Ok, I have been checking out real estate online and what is the deal with electric heat? In Maine if you put electric heat in a house the state guys with a big butterfly net will come and carry you away. Granted it's alot colder here, but still. I am unfamiliar with this "heat pump" deal........will one of you Tim Taylor types clue me in?

They'd do the same here in MD if you choose baseboard electric heat! It's crazy expensive! I'm not big on heat pumps (brrr), although I've heard they've gotten much better over the years at actually heating your house. I've got oil heat, which is nice and toasty warm.

pilot

dpete:

I would definitely bring your snow blower. While we don't get much snow here, about every five to ten years, we get slammed by a nor'easter than can deliver between two and three feet of snow! Many of the houses here have very long driveways.

It may not happen very often, but when we do get a storm, it's good to have all the necessary equipment.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by pilot
dpete:

I would definitely bring your snow blower. While we don't get much snow here, about every five to ten years, we get slammed by a nor'easter than can deliver between two and three feet of snow! Many of the houses here have very long driveways.

It may not happen very often, but when we do get a storm, it's good to have all the necessary equipment.

:yeahthat:

Not to mention, you'd be the King of the neighborhood if you offered up your snowblower to help clear driveways! :biggrin:

Pete

Repete
Thanks,

Pilot, were you ever in Maine, I wonder if I ever complained about you?

I noticed on a different thread someone mentioned the "B" word.

BRAC.....While I never see PAX closing whats the local rumors.....just my luck I get there, buy a house and they close PAX move NAVAIR to Maine !!

pilot

Well, nothing in life is guaranteed, but I feel pretty safe here. There are some very powerful political groups that want this base kept open. The Navy has certainly made it a priority.

A lot of these decisions tend to be political, and our proximity to D.C. definitely gives us an advantage.

pilot

Pilot, were you ever in Maine, I wonder if I ever complained about you?

Uh, sorry dpete, I'm a little slow. I'm not sure I get this? :confused:

But, to answer your question, I have been to Maine.