I Am So Happy With Today's Election Results

DEEKAYPEE8569

the local status quo around here definitely got shaken up. Let's see if anything really changes.

:yeahthat:
I for one, wish that passing CCW Shall-Issue in MD would be a priority; but.....wish in one hand and **** in the other and see which one fills up quicker, huh?

DEEKAYPEE8569

This is my feeling, now that the Republicans got the state I hope they can do positive things and not go all hard core Republican on us. This is why the Democrats lost, they were trying to create a Democrat utopia where they could tax the air we breath and give the money to the do nothings. The Republicans need to learn from the Democrats mistake because if we have 4 years of huge tax breaks for the rich and tem cutting programs that actually make sense than they won't be here after the next election. How about this as a novel idea, pay attention to the working middle class for once.

:yeahthat:

H

Hodr

This is my feeling, now that the Republicans got the state I hope they can do positive things and not go all hard core Republican on us. This is why the Democrats lost, they were trying to create a Democrat utopia where they could tax the air we breath and give the money to the do nothings. The Republicans need to learn from the Democrats mistake because if we have 4 years of huge tax breaks for the rich and tem cutting programs that actually make sense than they won't be here after the next election. How about this as a novel idea, pay attention to the working middle class for once.

Sounds like a great idea, but it won't happen. What are the biggest taxes that predominantly affect the middle class, income and property taxes? Neither will be touched. We may see the rain tax go away, and of course discussions of the VMT will disappear now that the election is over. I expect we may see breaks for large business owners, which may translate to more jobs (though that is debatable), but I bet I won't see one extra nickel in MY pocket over the next two years.

slowlane

The election news just keeps getting better and better! Gov. Elect Hogan just got Brown's phone call. Maybe Hogan will be able to abolish some of O'Malley's taxes. I have such high hopes for the Republican Senate. Wonder if Obama will spend the next 2 years playing golf and sulking. I just had to share my happiness with today's results.

If MD abolishes some of its taxes, then look for university tuition to rise, to compensate. Tuition at MD public colleges rose THE LEAST of all 50 states over the past decade, because tuition rates were frozen for several years.

Also, gasoline taxes (or some other highway revenue source) will have to rise, nationwide (regardless of which party is in power), as vehicles get much more fuel efficient, requiring less gasoline. The Corporate Average Fuel Economy law, passed by the current administration, requires U.S. cars by the year 2025, to average between 46 and 60 mpg, and light trucks to average between 30 and 50 mpg.

Last edited:

1stGenSMIB

slowlane...it is probably also important to note that CAFE MPG numbers don't equal real world MPG numbers, it is all about "corporate averages". The October issue of Car & Driver has a good (if slightly boring) article on CAFE numbers. It generally seems that real world numbers are 20-25% lower than CAFE (edit - oh, I see in the document I referenced below, they even note that.)

My Civic Si only gets 23MPG around town, and I will not be replacing it until it can't get me where I want to go anymore...and then I'll still buy another used car that won't meet CAFE numbers. There will be plenty of us contributing to the gas tax, while all the folks that think they are doing good burn coal in their garages recharging their "green" cars.

here is some more stuff on that - http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/documents/420b14015.pdf

Last edited:

bilbur

Sounds like a great idea, but it won't happen. What are the biggest taxes that predominantly affect the middle class, income and property taxes? Neither will be touched. We may see the rain tax go away, and of course discussions of the VMT will disappear now that the election is over. I expect we may see breaks for large business owners, which may translate to more jobs (though that is debatable), but I bet I won't see one extra nickel in MY pocket over the next two years.

Just so long as he doesn't get completely stupid like the Kansas Governor and do away with taxes all together for businesses. If you haven't heard about this it completely bit them in the butt. The idea was with no taxes the businesses could hire more people and their salaries could be taxed. In reality there was very little to no new jobs created. According to the big businesses they already had the workforce they needed so why would they hire someone to do nothing just because they had some extra money. They just pocketed the money and the state is almost financially ruined. It is so bad that many republicans are backing the democrat. You know things must be catastrophic for that to happen.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I was stunned to see the results this morning, in St. Mary's and statewide. A pleasant surprise indeed.

I'm glad to see that Roy Dyson's last minute scum-doggery, with the bogus claims against Waugh in that glossy mailer, did not benefit him. I've voted for Roy in past elections and was on the fence on this one...until that mailer showed up. I just hate a sunk.

Weaver's win, despite all the anti-Weaver socket puppet activity and the obvious opposition from Raspa and the "teacher's union" was ....gratifying to see.

Jackie losing; that came as a surprise to me. I guess he got swept out with the rest of his party...

I agree, that mailer was grossly deceptive. So one files paperwork to begin a business while you are between jobs, to try and move forward. Then ya get a great job offer so you don't go forward with operating the business... So it has zero income. Then because it had zero income, you therefore pay zero taxes on it. Big whoop.

That mailer was both in poor taste and the decisive factor in Dysons loss... And Waugh's win!

:yay: :yay:

Rommey

if you look at the election results, hogan took st. mary's and calvert by a landslide, in Charles county it was the opposite.
But Charles was more evenly split than in 2010, plus there were about 1300 fewer votes for the D+R. It was 28K/17K in 2010 and 23K/21K in 2014. That's a hell of a turnaround...almost landslide-ish by Chuck Co. standards.