I am unreasonably angry

BOP

I was extremely upset when I saw the movie preview too. At first I was excited that there would be a Reacher movie (series) but then I saw it was going to star Tom Cruise, and I realized that hollywood is so anti-American that they were out to sabatoge the whole movie, because you can't have Reacher being awesome...not in Amerika.

Tom Cruise is not in any what shape or form, including extra lifts in his shoes, anywhere close to being anything like Reacher.

Lee Child is couching careful language about the selection of Cruise...

There is only a small handful of genuine global male stars. All are great actors—you don't get to be a star if you don't have the chops—but Cruise might well be the best of his generation.

Plus, from an author's point of view, it's more exciting to see a new and fresh vision.

Link

Riggggghhhhtttt....but he's British, so what does he know. :lol:

Well, fruits do tend to band together.

I just saw the trailer for the movie "Jack Reacher". Imagine my anguish when I saw that Tom Cruise will be playing the title role.

I wish Tom Cruise would die already. It's not enough that his cheesy mug is all over the tabloids, but now he will be playing one of my favorite fictional characters. Whose freaking asinine idea was this??? I want to beat them with a ball bat until their head is the consistency of strawberry jam.

TOM CRUISE IS NOT REACHER!!!

And seriously, aren't we all sick of him by now? Is there anyone left in America who is still a fan? I cannot believe, with all the hot new (and established) actors out there, this flake dorkstein fake hetero OLD twit still brings in box office. He should be doing beer commercials in Japan, not starring in US movies.

Ick ick ick!!!

:mad:

Way wrong.

R

rhenderson

I've seen a lot of criticism of Child for allowing Cruise to be the lead. He probably had no say in it. I've seen reports that Cruise bought the rights and cast himself in it. Authors are not in strong bargaining position for input into the movie unless they have an established history of books to movie - such as Tom Clancy. I predict this movie will be almost as big a flop as John Travolta's "Battlefield Earth". I will not be going to the movie - just listening to Cruise's voice in the trailer had me laughing at the idea that he was portraying Reacher. To me Reacher's voice out to more like Lee Marvin's.

I am not angry like the OP but I am deeply disappointed.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I will not be going to the movie - just listening to Cruise's voice in the trailer had me laughing at the idea that he was portraying Reacher. To me Reacher's voice out to more like Lee Marvin's.

I completely agree.

It just annoys me when they take a great book that could be a great movie and screw it up.

Please please please don't let them get their hands on Lucas Davenport or Mitch Rapp.

ebs

I completely agree.

It just annoys me when they take a great book that could be a great movie and screw it up.

Please please please don't let them get their hands on Lucas Davenport or Mitch Rapp.
They did Mind Prey, I think it was on Lifetime, with that guy that used to be on ER - his name is Eriq LaSalle. Not sure who thought THAT was a good idea, but I couldn't bear to watch.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I just saw the trailer for the movie "Jack Reacher". Imagine my anguish when I saw that Tom Cruise will be playing the title role. :

What horsehit that is!!!

I'll have to think on this a bit but, that is outrageous!

Now, in Tom's defense, he played an assassin in some movie I can't remember the name, things go wrong and he basically kidnaps a taxi cab driver to get him around town to do his business in such and such time. He actually pulled that off pretty good.

Bad castings; Will Smith in that golf movie. Tailor made role for Morgan.

Defoe as Clark in Clear and Present Danger. Clark is Seagal.

Aflack as Ryan in Sum of all Fears. Ryan is Baldwin but, if Alec doesn't want it, someone had to do it.

Cruise also did a great job in that Samurai movie, a Jack Reacher sort of disaffected character, no where near the credit the whole movie deserved, so, we will see.

I could see Colin Ferral as Reacher. I could even see what's his face, Mathew Mcaughney.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I could see Colin Ferral as Reacher. I could even see what's his face, Mathew Mcaughney.

Too gay. I think mAlice nailed it with Paul Bettany - he's good looking enough to star in a movie, but brings that sense of strong silent dangerous to the mix.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
but brings that sense of strong silent dangerous to the mix.

That's not Reacher. At least not to me. Reacher is a rather reflective character that thinks about stuff and people and life as well as being a tough guy. Or, am I thinking of the wrong guy?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
That's not Reacher. At least not to me. Reacher is a rather reflective character that thinks about stuff and people and life as well as being a tough guy. Or, am I thinking of the wrong guy?

Maybe you're thinking of the wrong guy, 'cuz PB has those exact qualities, at least that's what I see based on the characters he has portrayed.