i got a new video of me riding...

spellbound

yeah my heels are the wrost thing i think its the only thing keeping me from doing more then what i do if my heels were done i would prob. be jumping higher and everything even tho when i jump higher my heels get better

It's not just your heels - your entire lower leg has a mind of it's own. If you can stop pinching with your knee, that will start you on the right track.

I am sure if you ask for a private lesson from Susie (or even Casey) you will not get turned down.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
It's not just your heels - your entire lower leg has a mind of it's own. If you can stop pinching with your knee, that will start you on the right track.

Agreed. So, strange question for you...have you ever taken a lesson in a bareback pad? Amazing how much that lower leg stops moving when you ride in a bareback pad. I know it may have been a few years since I first learned to ride, and "back in the day" trainers had cruel techniques, but the bareback stuff really helps if you can get the opportunity to do it. Don't worry about jumping big jumps, focus on the equitation. You lock that in, the jumping will practically take care of itself. Keep working, you are improving, so stay with it!

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
My trainer has been working on my lower leg for the past couple of months with me. In fact we very rarely jump anything higher than a small crossrail. Not because we can't do it, but because it gives me the chance to work on the areas that I am improving on. My leg has gotten a lot stronger over the past few weeks. I do lots of two point work, and every few strides reminding myself to strech the calf down. IF I just push the heel down it hurts way to much, and makes everything stiff. If I stretch my calf down which in turns makes my heels go down it works a lot better. It still comes up but is improving with time.

jumpergirl976

yeah i would love to ride bareback more but everythime i ask they say no :( and i cant afford to ride more then once a week it sucks and i cant work off the lessons either cause i live 30mins away from the barn and gas is high i would love to ride more then what i do we just cant afford it. but if i found some place close to where i live that would be better

devinej

yah i agree - bareback or even just riding without stirrups
also two point, making sure you are balancing on the strirrup, not gripping with your knee. tie your reins in a knot and put your hands out to the side - don't use them for balance by holding the reins or mane. that will really help as long as you keep checking yourself so that your are balancing on your stirrups like they are a balance beam. double posting (up up down up up down), different hip angles at two point - normal, very tall (open hip angle) and as closed as you can get your hip angle, as long as your keep your heels at the girth, don't let them slip behind you.
you should not move to higher fences untill you are near perfect over cross rails in my opinion.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
you should not move to higher fences untill you
are near perfect over cross rails in my opinion.

YEAH because that is how I did a face plant a few weeks ago. My legs slid back, goosed my horse, he went faster, and kersplat. SO..backtrack more, and the leg is getting very solid again. I have no issue sticking with cross-rails until I am solid. It is better than getting bad habits over fences.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
yeah i would love to ride bareback more but everythime i ask they say no :( and i cant afford to ride more then once a week it sucks and i cant work off the lessons either cause i live 30mins away from the barn and gas is high i would love to ride more then what i do we just cant afford it. but if i found some place close to where i live that would be better

Where are you riding at. We have a trainer come over to our place for lessons.

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Lunge lessons are great. Tie your reins like Devine mentioned. Doing alot of transition work, posting and sitting trot with out your reins.

Rise out of the saddle by lower your heel and not by standing on your toes. Try posting for 10 and up in two point (or half seat) for 10. Then 9 & 9 and so on.

Your seat is nice so keep working on it. It is great to see a young rider with such passion. Keep up the hard work. :yahoo:

Last edited:

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
I second riding w/out stirrups.. That'll whip your leg position into shape in no time... It's difficult at first, expecially posting, but the burn is worth it. No pain no gain.

SayDLvr01

Bubbalicious!
Hey I think I was teaching in the parking lot during your lesson...I remember seeing Ms Susie on George..