I have a couple of driving rants

PsyOps

Pixelated
Entertaining thread to read. Tend to agree with it being an enforcement issue. There is little reason to not go 60-65 on RT4 during the rush hours, because CCSO is just not pulling people over for rolling at that speed at that time (nor should they, IMO, but I also think RT4 should be 60 between the towns as it is).

This thread originally started as pointing out some annoying driving practices; not anything necessarily against the law. It predictably morphed into speeding and such.

But, I don't get your line of thinking. I drive at a speed that I feel is safe for me, not out of 'there is little reason to not go at XX speed'. And I also don't drive at my decided-safe-speed because I fear being pulled over. Again, it's a safety issue, and I recognize that's different for each person.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Which leads into my NEXT rant - those dotted lanes on the right. They're for emerging traffic and safely turning to the right, especially where there's no intersection (such as a San Souci or Chancellor's Run Road). It is NOT - a travel lane.

There is a part of rt 4 in PG County where they open up the right shoulder at 6am for regular traffic. After a point that eventually becomes a travel lane. I'm traveling through there way earlier than 6am. I have seen it often people getting impatient and using that shoulder to pass folks going really fast. People that are in the actual right travel lane don't see the person coming and merge over in front of said-impatient driver nearly getting into an accident.

People are all about themselves and don't give a damn that they are driving a two-ton projectile at pretty fast speeds, and driving this recklessly could result in killing someone. Of course we now have the added bonus of road-rage where you could be shot for pissing someone off.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
T I drive at a speed that I feel is safe for me, not out of 'there is little reason to not go at XX speed'. .

Same with me. That's why I make sure I'm driving at something close to the same speed as the vehicles around me.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Same with me. That's why I make sure I'm driving at something close to the same speed as the vehicles around me.

Nope. You're contradicting yourself and don't even realize it. You are allowing the surrounding vehicle dictate your speed. In other words, your speed changes with the driving environment. If I feel 61-62 in a 55 is my safe speed, that's what I drive regardless of what others are doing.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You are allowing the surrounding vehicle dictate your speed. In other words, your speed changes with the driving environment.

Exactly. Extensive research proves that I'm driving in a safer manner than your are. Speed differential kills. ;-)

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Then I expect when you're around me, you'll slow down so there isn't a differential. You'll live longer. :razz:

Not if yr the only one driving slower. I may even speed up to get well out of your area before you cause a major accident. :biggrin:

Grumpy

We used to laugh at Aps and his Miata, but now I've come to appreciate anything that makes life's mundane tasks more interesting.

:lol:First thing I thought of when I saw the original 'They are just shocked that its not a 20 something year old girl driving it.' post. RIP Aps

I thought of APS also when the "speed differential" arguments came up. He was very vocal in his pro-thought on that subject.

PeoplesElbow

Damn, that's harsh, Bro! Please don't tell me that I bought a girl car! I though those were Passats.

:yikes:

At this point in my life, I've decided that I don't care what other people think. We used to laugh at Aps and his Miata, but now I've come to appreciate anything that makes life's mundane tasks more interesting.

Just busting your balls, it really isn't a particularly girly car (like a Miata), just that is what drives most of the Jettas on the road.

When I see a Jetta I check for a cute girl driving it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Smooth traffic flow good, turbulence bad. Folks not going with the flow cause turbulence.
Psy is like the large stone in a fast flowing creek...yeah, the water finds it's way around but it's gonna wear it to a nub eventually. :evil:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Just busting your balls, it really isn't a particularly girly car (like a Miata), just that is what drives most of the Jettas on the road.

When I see a Jetta I check for a cute girl driving it.

I figured as much. I don't take #### like that seriously any more.

I've always been a VW fan and when this one hit Craigslist, I had to jump. It's a ball to drive. Drove it back from Fredsburg via 218 on a sunny afternoon. Talk about a rush! My nephew was following me back and lost sight of me after about 3 minutes. He said he knew I was fueling up at Wawa, so he'd just catch up to me there.

The combination of low CoG, TDI, and 5 speed is nothing short of awesome. The 40+ MPG doesn't hurt my feelings either. After driving a lifted Trail Blazer with over sized BFG Mud Terrains daily, refueling is a pleasure.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Not if yr the only one driving slower. I may even speed up to get well out of your area before you cause a major accident. :biggrin:

I have been driving for 40 years pretty much the same way, in America, Europe, Korea... never EVER caused a major accident. EVER! The only thing I can say I might have done is piss a bunch of impatient and angry drivers off; and I rightly don't give a damn about that.

I have been driving for 40 years pretty much the same way, in America, Europe, Korea... never EVER caused a major accident. EVER! The only thing I can say I might have done is piss a bunch of impatient and angry drivers off; and I rightly don't give a damn about that.

Talk about pissing off people.... when I take the Slingshot out for a ride, people look at it and just assume I'm going to burn up the road. Boy are they surprised when they get behind me thinking I'm going to plow a path, and I do the speed limit.