I have a stupid question

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Her Majesty's Armed Forces aka the Brits.

I know they are stationed in Cyprus, Germany, Canada and Qatar, I believe they have other locations as well.

The Armed Forces of the Russian Federation also have outside their country bases.

I know they are in the Ukraine and some other countries...but where exactly I don't know.

Clem_Shady

As far as Vrais question, I suppose we need to pin it down a little. I took it to ask about actual bases overseas, places like Misawa, Japan and Kadena, on Okinawa, or Sigonella Sicily. Not individual members of the military serving tours to learn or act as liaison, but bases that actually have military equipment and such.

that was what you are talking about, right?

Great rest stop on your way to save to the rag-heads.

"We stopped in Sigonella late into the night..."

"Then we went to Saudi on a one-way flight..."

"Airborne................ Ranger................"

:singer:

kickstand

De omnibus dubitandum est

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
We station our military all over the world - not just to break things and kill people, but for....whatever reason.

Do other countries do this? Like, do the South Koreans have a base here in the US? Are there Bahraini military folks over here? Any Icelanders?

Someone please school me and explain.

We kicked ass in those places and as a result have troops deployed in the event we need to kick ass again. They maintain air fields and stores of equipment for anticipated needs.

Mexico is currently kicking our ass and they have deployed assets to bases in the south west and have occupied large section of what was formally California. Maryland is currently negotiating to surrender sections of the state to Mexican operatives.

Clem_Shady

We kicked ass in those places and as a result have troops deployed in the event we need to kick ass again. They maintain air fields and stores of equipment for anticipated needs.

Mexico is currently kicking our ass and they have deployed assets to bases in the south west and have occupied large section of what was formally California. Maryland is currently negotiating to surrender sections of the state to Mexican operatives.

Uh, you mean we had to go to the Middle East how many times Georgy Boy?

:killingme

PsyOps

Pixelated

To expound on this… Following WWII, many countries were destroyed. Our military stayed to help rebuild and to provide security since so many of them were potential targets for invasion. And the Cold War kept us in these places as well. We were really the only country able to do this.

Even though we claim we are in places like Germany, Italy, England, S. Korea, and Japan for strategic reasons, I think we have gone way past that point and should pull back to our own borders for obvious reasons.

:cds: WHAT??!!?!

Clem_Shady

Yes, we really are a bankrupt world police force

To expound on this… Following WWII, many countries were destroyed. Our military stayed to help rebuild and to provide security since so many of them were potential targets for invasion. And the Cold War kept us in these places as well. We were really the only country able to do this.

Even though we claim we are in places like Germany, Italy, England, S. Korea, and Japan for strategic reasons, I think we have gone way past that point and should pull back to our own borders for obvious reasons.

:dingding:

wmburdette

9/11 - Never Forget!
The Luftwaffe used to have a facility in a building just off of Branch Ave in the Suitland area and also a fenced in facility at Dulles Airport. Don't know if either are still there or not.

The Luftwaffe used to have a facility in a building just off of Branch Ave in the Suitland area and also a fenced in facility at Dulles Airport. Don't know if either are still there or not.

:offtopic: Does anyone know what they are building next to McOlive Garden?

glhs837

Power with Control
So, to answer your question again, no, no other military force has its own facility here on U.S. soil. Other nations militaries do have thier own facilities in countries foreign to them, back in the 80s, I visited a French base in Djbouti, did some patch swapping.

But no other nation come close to maintaining a worldwide presence like we do. And while folks may balk at the expense, its a small price to pay for being able to project power NOW, not next week. Pulling back to our borders only works if you go full isolationism. Otherwise every two bit punk of a nation can slap your people and interests around with impunity, knowing they can consolidate whatever they want before you can muster up the power to stop them.

SamSpade

And while folks may balk at the expense, its a small price to pay for being able to project power NOW, not next week.

And THAT is why we can have a smaller standing army or what have you and still be militarily superior. We can be there in force in hours and days, instead of weeks. THERE is the strength of the American military.

China could have millions of men in their army and still be beaten by an American army that can be on their butts before breakfast is finished.

Clem_Shady

When we realize it ain't 1950......China kicks our ass on a daily basis....and we eat it up.

Ask them how we're going to keep running our government, country, and paying for our military if China stops loaning us money that they make from selling us cheap chit in Walmart and from the interest on all the securitized mortgage bonds that we should have let default.

:killingme

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Thanks for the responses. I didn't think there were any foreign military bases over here, but figured I'd ask all the same.