I need to get this off my chest

stgislander

PREMO Member
I loved going with my folks to Baltimore in the summer (mid 60's) to spend a week with family. Baltimore was alive because people had work. Beth Steel was still making steel and building ships. When Beth Steel and the other industries died, so did Baltimore. Yeah, they tried to revitalize it with the Inner harbor and tourism, but the feeling is not the same.

Wishbone

What angers me much are blacks who pass for white, who don't acknowledge their nationality or don't want to be part of their culture. These are the type who would prefer to mark "White" on a census form!

So you adhere to the "one drop rule?"

Seems harsh.

steppinthrax

I loved going with my folks to Baltimore in the summer (mid 60's) to spend a week with family. Baltimore was alive because people had work. Beth Steel was still making steel and building ships. When Beth Steel and the other industries died, so did Baltimore. Yeah, they tried to revitalize it with the Inner harbor and tourism, but the feeling is not the same.

Baltimore is largely a blue collar city.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A couple of things.

1. I don't believe Paterson, NJ is the same at least in demographics compared to lets say Baltimore, MD etc.. I lived in Baltimore for 10 years, I believe Baltimore is predominantly black (like 85% to 90%) whereas Paterson, NJ is a 50/50 mix. An excerpt from Census 2010. "The racial makeup of the city was 34.68% (50,706) White, 31.68% (46,314) Black or African American". I don't feel that every major city that is failing or has it's mix of problems stem from African American issues. I know you did not directly say this, but I'm just getting it out of the way before it becomes that way.

2. While I don't agree that "The US is the most racist country in the world", I do agree that DT ran his campaign on a ticket of racism, bigotry and Xenophobia. He placed all his bets that there exists a large enough group of those people in the United States that share this belief and won with it. In a way you can call him a Genius since many established and seasons politicians pretty much knew he would lose, but were wrong. While this "may" not make him a racist or bigot, his past history as well as behavior nowadays indicates him as a racist, he spends much of his time defending himself against little frivolous things, yet he dosen't do much defending himself against the many racist accusations.

3. Your later comment regarding how "Our docent/racial scold also informed us that when a black man from a decent area that's not a ghetto #### hole comes around, they don't even recognize him as a black man.". In sociology we call "Passing" (Passing as White), this also relates to "Colourism". I find it somewhat of a disturbing and a difficult issue as I've dealt with this myself personally. Much of my mom's side is black (North Carolina). They are mainly poor, uneducated. They don't accept me since they feel that somehow I'm not part of them etc, since I"m educated, higher income and have a stable life. I make one of the highest salaries of anyone in my family (my parents, my mom's side etc...). I'm of mixed heritage and interestingly I find whites who treat me as white, blacks to treat me as black etc. It's an interesting part of race in this country. What angers me much are blacks who pass for white, who don't acknowledge their nationality or don't want to be part of their culture. These are the type who would prefer to mark "White" on a census form!

4. I know many of these forums lean towards the conservative side of things, you listened to someone who was likely liberal. If I came in here and heard some conservative speech like this and came on here about how I disagreed with what was said. I guess much of the comments I would get would be he/she has 1st amendment or if I didn't like it I can leave or I'm a pussy liberal so deal with it etc...

1: Paterson also has a large Latino and Arab population - predominantly first-generation immigrants, judging by the way none of them seemed to speak English. So you're right, it's not just the black people. And straight up, the white people didn't look none too respectable, either.

2: Calling something what it is isn't "racist" or "bigoted". If fundy Muslims from certain countries are the ones blowing stuff up, it makes sense to restrict them coming into the US. If blacks in the ghetto are the ones rioting and busting stuff up, it makes sense to put a boot up their ass. Social culture is the real culprit - race is secondary to that and somewhat incidental, but what we tend to focus on.

3: "What angers me much are blacks who pass for white, who don't acknowledge their nationality or don't want to be part of their culture. " Their nationality is American, and their culture can be anything they want it to be. I know way too many black people who are solid citizens, educated, family oriented, and responsible to think that ghetto gang banging, drugs, and unemployment is all-inclusive "black culture". To insist that black people must behave a certain way and speak a certain way is about the most racist thing I can think of.

4: What mostly piqued my interest is that he felt completely comfortable, as a docent at an historical center and tourist attraction, chastising the white visitors and telling them how much they suck. Imagine a white docent telling black visitors that they suck and everything bad in the world is their fault and referencing "their" black president. Racism is racism. Doesn't matter what color the racist is. Racism on some public forum where people are spewing is one thing; I didn't expect to find it from the museum guide.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
These are full blown black who "pass for white". They try to make every effort to not acknowledge being black.

What does that even mean, "pass for white" and "not acknowledge being black"? How would one "acknowledge" their blackness, in your opinion?

What do you believe to be the differences between "whites" and "blacks", skin color aside?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
A couple of things.

I find it somewhat of a disturbing and a difficult issue as I've dealt with this myself personally. Much of my mom's side is black (North Carolina). They are mainly poor, uneducated. They don't accept me since they feel that somehow I'm not part of them etc, since I"m educated, higher income and have a stable life. I make one of the highest salaries of anyone in my family (my parents, my mom's side etc...).

that is most unfortunate ...... you aren't 'black enough' because you are educated

how the hell did we even get here ?
no wonder can't / don't / won't excel in school ....
they are denigrated and put down ...
better to be ignorant standing in front of the liquor store all day

Hijinx

What does that even mean, "pass for white" and "not acknowledge being black"? How would one "acknowledge" their blackness, in your opinion?

What do you believe to be the differences between "whites" and "blacks", skin color aside?

He be talkin' bout dem Uncle Tom's.
Blacks who have had the temerity to succeed.
Those who made it out of the ghetto through their own efforts.

Part of the reason others fail is because they do not like those who have succeeded.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
When were any of our cities ever thriving and vibrant? If you look at the history of cities, you'll find that the problem is far more then "blacks", Democrats, Republicans, or etc.

DJ already listed some that were once VERY vibrant and economically healthy...
Baltimore, Detroit, NYC, Chicago...once thriving vibrant cities

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

What angers me much are blacks who pass for white, who don't acknowledge their nationality or don't want to be part of their culture. These are the type who would prefer to mark "White" on a census form!

Acknowledge their nationality? So did these folks just get off the ship form some part of the African continent? Are they Americans or Africans? Why would someone want to be a part of a culture so far removed? A culture that is really nowhere to be found here in the United States. Unlike the Italians, Irish, Germans etc. Of course they could just make sh*t up, just like kwanzaa. But even then, I don't think black people even know what the, in country, African cultural heritage, and traditional values, are. If there are any at all. And if they did, I'm sure it would clash with today's views on things.

steppinthrax

1: Paterson also has a large Latino and Arab population - predominantly first-generation immigrants, judging by the way none of them seemed to speak English. So you're right, it's not just the black people. And straight up, the white people didn't look none too respectable, either.

2: Calling something what it is isn't "racist" or "bigoted". If fundy Muslims from certain countries are the ones blowing stuff up, it makes sense to restrict them coming into the US. If blacks in the ghetto are the ones rioting and busting stuff up, it makes sense to put a boot up their ass. Social culture is the real culprit - race is secondary to that and somewhat incidental, but what we tend to focus on.

3: "What angers me much are blacks who pass for white, who don't acknowledge their nationality or don't want to be part of their culture. " Their nationality is American, and their culture can be anything they want it to be. I know way too many black people who are solid citizens, educated, family oriented, and responsible to think that ghetto gang banging, drugs, and unemployment is all-inclusive "black culture". To insist that black people must behave a certain way and speak a certain way is about the most racist thing I can think of.

4: What mostly piqued my interest is that he felt completely comfortable, as a docent at an historical center and tourist attraction, chastising the white visitors and telling them how much they suck. Imagine a white docent telling black visitors that they suck and everything bad in the world is their fault and referencing "their" black president. Racism is racism. Doesn't matter what color the racist is. Racism on some public forum where people are spewing is one thing; I didn't expect to find it from the museum guide.

2. Ahhh, but Trump is not having much success with this, so far several courts have ruled against him. It's in his best interest to get this through since it was a campaign promise. But the legal rationale is that it's unconstitutional since it violates the "Equal protection Clause" of the 14th amendment. It's discriminatory since you are deciding to broadly (with the stroke a pen) deny entry to largely islamic countries based on the actions of a few Muslims. In his early campaign he's mentioned Muslims in both a sense of Muslim database and bann. In any traditional sense it's considered discrimination. The courts tied the two together!

3. You took my last sentence to concentrate on. Black culture is not "gang banging, drugs etc, unemployment etc..." It is not the behavior I take issue in, it is those who don't like to be considered African American but clearly are. Mainly due to those that have negative concepts about them (as you indicated).

4. We will need more information as to the name of the Museum, what events were going on that day, who was the docent. My suspicion is they had some guest speaker. Also exactly, word from word what was said. What was the reactions of others who were in the audience, etc... Again if the ideology was reversed there would be a double standard.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
3. Black culture is not "gang banging, drugs etc, unemployment etc..."

4. We will need more information as to the name of the Museum, what events were going on that day, who was the docent. My suspicion is they had some guest speaker. Also exactly, word from word what was said. What was the reactions of others who were in the audience, etc... Again if the ideology was reversed there would be a double standard.

3. I take it you don't listen to rap or read news about what is going on in Baltimore, Chicago, etc......head in sand much

4. Why? I believe her reporting to be accurate. Do you believe she made this chit up?

steppinthrax

3. I take it you don't listen to rap or read news about what is going on in Baltimore, Chicago, etc......head in sand much

4. Why? I believe her reporting to be accurate. Do you believe she made this chit up?

3. I lived in Baltimore for 10 years. Worked in Baltimore city for 4 years. Yep, I'm aware of the issues with Baltimore. However, as I also posted that the city she referred to is not remarkably African American, whereas it may also be a rundown city.

4. Knowing some of the personalities of people that post here, I would imagine she heard some negative stuff about Trump or racial issues and her mind ran away. But, going back my questions are very valid. I'm pretty curious who the speaker is, was there some special event. There is just too little information. I'm also aware people here are more inclined to accept stories from people if it supports their beliefs, but question stories that do not.

Last edited:

SamSpade

2. Ahhh, but Trump is not having much success with this, so far several courts have ruled against him. It's in his best interest to get this through since it was a campaign promise. But the legal rationale is that it's unconstitutional since it violates the "Equal protection Clause" of the 14th amendment. It's discriminatory since you are deciding to broadly (with the stroke a pen) deny entry to largely islamic countries based on the actions of a few Muslims. In his early campaign he's mentioned Muslims in both a sense of Muslim database and bann. In any traditional sense it's considered discrimination. The courts tied the two together!

I still don't see this as a litmus test for Islam, because any non-Muslim from those nations would undergo the same scrutiny.
And it's completely fair to discriminate based on nation of origin.

steppinthrax

I still don't see this as a litmus test for Islam, because any non-Muslim from those nations would undergo the same scrutiny.
And it's completely fair to discriminate based on nation of origin.

3 courts did. (maybe 4, but I lost count).

Can you explain to me your legal concept of why not. Considering it goes against the concept of all the judges who decided against Trump in all of those cases?

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

So, your dismissal of "rap " as part of black culture is telling and you believe Vrai is full of chit......I get it...