I want to talk about my puppy <3

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
She's so cute! She's becoming a dog now - 5 mos old - and losing some of her annoying puppy behaviors, thank god. It's weird to see her teeth all over the place - I found one in bed this morning. :twitch: And I notice that when she gets bitey she either has to poop or needs a nap, so that problem is largely solved.

Her biggest growing pain is that she still freaks out over animals or other people. Very excited, losing her chit wanting to go see them. She's friendly and social, so I like that - snubby dogs who won't go see anyone are annoying, I like a warm greeting. I just want her to approach the object of her affection with a little more decorum instead of this 🐶 :crazy: :jameo:

She's good with "wait" when walking or even when she sees someone...as long as we're at a distance. Once we get say 10 ft away all her self-control goes south and she becomes a maniac. Any suggestions on how to curb this would be appreciated. :smile: Several of my neighbors are on board and will stand and wait for her to compose herself before they give her attention, so she has frequent opportunities for training but it doesn't seem to be having any effect. :lol: The resort manager has promised me a small dog park over by my house since all of us in the area have small dogs, and once that's done she'll have opportunity for off-leash interaction. Other dogs give the best peer review, I think.

She gets spayed first week of March and I have been assured that this will calm her down a good bit. Anyone want to confirm or refute that?

NOTSMC

She's so cute! She's becoming a dog now - 5 mos old - and losing some of her annoying puppy behaviors, thank god. It's weird to see her teeth all over the place - I found one in bed this morning. :twitch: And I notice that when she gets bitey she either has to poop or needs a nap, so that problem is largely solved.

Her biggest growing pain is that she still freaks out over animals or other people. Very excited, losing her chit wanting to go see them. She's friendly and social, so I like that - snubby dogs who won't go see anyone are annoying, I like a warm greeting. I just want her to approach the object of her affection with a little more decorum instead of this 🐶 :crazy: :jameo:

She's good with "wait" when walking or even when she sees someone...as long as we're at a distance. Once we get say 10 ft away all her self-control goes south and she becomes a maniac. Any suggestions on how to curb this would be appreciated. :smile: Several of my neighbors are on board and will stand and wait for her to compose herself before they give her attention, so she has frequent opportunities for training but it doesn't seem to be having any effect. :lol: The resort manager has promised me a small dog park over by my house since all of us in the area have small dogs, and once that's done she'll have opportunity for off-leash interaction. Other dogs give the best peer review, I think.

She gets spayed first week of March and I have been assured that this will calm her down a good bit. Anyone want to confirm or refute that?
I got spayed and I'm pretty calm most of the time.

frequentflier

happy to be living

She is at a good age to get spayed and that will likely calm her down. BUT...she is a puppy and will be for easily another year.
Just keep working on her and her manners and reward all good behavior especially "WAIT".
It is great that you have helpful neighbors and a wonderful resort manager!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Gretel.jpg

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Gretel is calming down quite nicely for the most part. I like it that she's friendly and has never met a stranger, I just want her to be able to greet then without lunging and wild behavior. Yesterday we had a success - the guy across the street who she loves, she ran to him and instead of jumping and nipping she nuzzled his legs.

:diva:

I hesitate to brag about her house training progress because I know the minute I do she'll pee on the floor....

I've spoiled her by enhancing her kibble with cooked egg or a sprinkle of cheese. Not my fault, they should make dog chow that tastes good in the first place.

Right now she's playing quietly by herself (!). I thought this day would never come....