If cops are about safety....

bilbur

If we, as a society, are not willing to risk innocent lives to catch bank robbers or fleeing felons, why should we endure a similar risk simply to tax motorists who are often traveling at a speed which is entirely reasonable and appropriate for the conditions? Speed limits could still be enforced through cameras, automated devices, and the old Ohio Highway Patrol standby of having a cop call ahead to another cop up the road who waves the motorist over to receive a ticket. If this increases the cost of speeding enforcement, perhaps it will inspire municipalities, and the citizens of those municipalities, to more closely consider whether their police are best serving the public by serving as roadside tax collectors.

But who decides what speed is reasonable? I know people that would probably travel 100mph if they were allowed to and I feel at that speed no amount of reaction time would stop a fatality if someone were to pull out in front of them. If we did not have a limit then you know that more people than you like to admit would be doing speeds that would put us all at risk. Without enforcement of the limit it would be just as bad as not having a limit and people would do whatever speed they felt like doing putting everyone else on the road at risk. Look at the recent accidents from the idiots drag racing on 235, without enforcement people like this would be driving that way all the time and there would be a lot more of them.

Chris0nllyn

But who decides what speed is reasonable? I know people that would probably travel 100mph if they were allowed to and I feel at that speed no amount of reaction time would stop a fatality if someone were to pull out in front of them. If we did not have a limit then you know that more people than you like to admit would be doing speeds that would put us all at risk. Without enforcement of the limit it would be just as bad as not having a limit and people would do whatever speed they felt like doing putting everyone else on the road at risk. Look at the recent accidents from the idiots drag racing on 235, without enforcement people like this would be driving that way all the time and there would be a lot more of them.

No one is advocating doing away with speed limits.

As far as "reasonable", I think road conditons, weather, other traffic, and other factors play into that. It's not a one size fits all approach.

bilbur

No one is advocating doing away with speed limits.

As far as "reasonable", I think road conditons, weather, other traffic, and other factors play into that. It's not a one size fits all approach.

This is why I think most cops won't give a ticket unless the person is traveling 10mph + on a 55mph road. I think they don't give tickets for 2 reasons, it is not worth their time and they know that anything under 65 is reasonable for the road. I also believe the word reasonable is why they have enforcement, there are too many unreasonable people on the roads and that ruins it for everyone.

Chris0nllyn

This is why I think most cops won't give a ticket unless the person is traveling 10mph + on a 55mph road. I think they don't give tickets for 2 reasons, it is not worth their time and they know that anything under 65 is reasonable for the road. I also believe the word reasonable is why they have enforcement, there are too many unreasonable people on the roads and that ruins it for everyone.

I agree, but there are speed traps where people have been pulled over for going 10 over. Then again, there are also people that have been pulled over for going under the limit.

Md. Woman Cited for Driving Too Slowly in Left Lane | NBC4 Washington

Is it reasonable to pull people over at the Calvert/Anne Arundel line for doing 65? It's a straight run of Rt.4, and wide open. Yet, there's always speed traps set up there.

I have no problem passing cops who are driving slow (some do), but damn I hate when people slow down to 40mph in a 55mph zone, just because the cop slowed down to turn. Or those folks who slam on their brakes because a cop has someone pulled over.

bilbur

I agree, but there are speed traps where people have been pulled over for going 10 over. Then again, there are also people that have been pulled over for going under the limit.

Md. Woman Cited for Driving Too Slowly in Left Lane | NBC4 Washington

Is it reasonable to pull people over at the Calvert/Anne Arundel line for doing 65? It's a straight run of Rt.4, and wide open. Yet, there's always speed traps set up there.

I have no problem passing cops who are driving slow (some do), but damn I hate when people slow down to 40mph in a 55mph zone, just because the cop slowed down to turn. Or those folks who slam on their brakes because a cop has someone pulled over.

I agree with that, it is annoying and dangerous in some cases when people go from 65 to 50 just because they see a cop. In most cases I will not slow down at all and on numerous occasions I have passed by speed traps doing 63 or 64. So far I have never been pulled over doing less than 10mph above the speed limit. My last ticket was 18 years ago when I was doing 76 in a 55 (young and dumb) and after that I never went more than 10 over the speed limit.

Toxick

Splat
damn I hate when people slow down to 40mph in a 55mph zone, just because the cop slowed down to turn. Or those folks who slam on their brakes because a cop has someone pulled over.

I have nothing to add, but the above beared repeating.

damn I hate when people slow down to 40mph in a 55mph zone, just because the cop slowed down to turn. Or those folks who slam on their brakes because a cop has someone pulled over.

Twice.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Do you guys honestly think cops enjoy running radar? If so, you should sit around listening to them bitch about it some time.

unless it's "Itsrequired" or anybody else arguing there are no quotas you are correct. The other part of the discussion is MSP vice the County Sheriff.
The Sheriff is elected, he does not serve at the pleasure of another politician, inlike the head of the MSP.
You can bet the MSP is being pushed to write tickets to generate revenue as that revenue is being counted on in the budget. "Safety" is the cover story, people are responding to what they see as a sham. People are starting to see all these "safety" measures as just one more way of increasing the state's revenue.
Nobody is arguing laws should not be enforced, it's the selective, but strict enforcement, that gets called into question.

If you have a road that is rated for high speeds, and traffic is moving smoothly, most officers will ignore the pack and focus on those who do pose a danger. But when they set up so called "traps" - the strict enforcement - idoesn't make the road more safe, it only results in more revenue and traffic congestion.

When it is decided 235 is unsafe, the state won't fix the road, they'll drop the speed limit and then demand strict enforcement.

SG_Player1974

Cops are not the problem, they are just the most accessible target for wrath. Like bitching out a waitress because your food is improperly cooked, or the restrooms are dirty, or constantly complaining that men have all the issues AND turning around and complaining that you cannot find a good man/mate. It's stupid and only stupid people do it.

FIXED!! :whistle:

bcp

In My Opinion
Why do police drive faster than the posted limit?
exposure, it allows the see and be seen by more people than if they just run the limit next to the same 2 or 3 cars all the way down the road.

complain about them driving too fast, then if they drive the posted limit people around them will slow down and be afraid to pass,, then you can bitch about the police holding up traffic.

lets break it down.
you all dont like police so no matter what they do, its going to be wrong in your eyes.

Oct 1.. Cell phone tickets start.. :yahoo:

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
I got pulled over in my '81 Yugo last week for doing 60 MPH on Rt 488. I asked the Deputy if he was going to give me a ticket and he said no, he just wanted to know how I got it to go that fast.

inkah

Do you guys honestly think cops enjoy running radar? If so, you should sit around listening to them bitch about it some time.

I am assuming, with your mastery of the English language, you understand that this thread isn't about whether or not cops should run radar, but rather it is about whether or not cops should speed.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Because it's their job. What, they're supposed to refuse to run radar when assigned?

"No, I'm sorry Captain, but I cannot in good conscience run radar. How about if you put me in the McGruff suit for the fair instead?"

:killingme

NOBODY ever wanted to dress up in that smelly nasty suit when I worked there 10 years ago. The suit is old, shared between counties and smelled like a dog's ass. :ohwell:

itsrequired

unless it's "Itsrequired" or anybody else arguing there are no quotas you are correct. The other part of the discussion is MSP vice the County Sheriff.
The Sheriff is elected, he does not serve at the pleasure of another politician, inlike the head of the MSP.
You can bet the MSP is being pushed to write tickets to generate revenue as that revenue is being counted on in the budget. "Safety" is the cover story, people are responding to what they see as a sham. People are starting to see all these "safety" measures as just one more way of increasing the state's revenue.
Nobody is arguing laws should not be enforced, it's the selective, but strict enforcement, that gets called into question.

If you have a road that is rated for high speeds, and traffic is moving smoothly, most officers will ignore the pack and focus on those who do pose a danger. But when they set up so called "traps" - the strict enforcement - idoesn't make the road more safe, it only results in more revenue and traffic congestion.

When it is decided 235 is unsafe, the state won't fix the road, they'll drop the speed limit and then demand strict enforcement.

If what you say about tickets and funding were correct, why would the same people you consider to be pushing for ticket revenue, sign a law which prohibits quotas? Wouldn't it be the opposite? Wouldn't they sign a law mandating quotas?