If only this was permanent...Mall closed

BernieP

Resident PIA
Maybe I've not been there enough, but the few times I've been to that mall, it didn't seem all that bad as everyone makes it out.

Sure there are 50% or more black shoppers there whenever I go, but never felt like I was ever in any danger from 'thugs'. But I've only been there a few times, so mayhaps I just went on good days.

The only thing that screams 'ghetto' to me about the mall is that all the shoe stores require me to bother a clerk to go in the back every time I want to try on a shoe and/or need a different shoe size... indicating a high risk of theft for the area/mall.

:shrug:

I can't say I was that impressed with the Annapolis Mall all that much either. It's sure a discombobulated mess, albeit it has more to offer store wise and has a modern theater.
There was a time when they did more then run and fetch shoes, they helped fit them for you. I don't think it's "theft" as much as floor space and appearance. Aisle upon ailse of shoe boxes screams DISCOUNT and they want you to pay top dollar for their merchandise.
My only complaint is that Starbucks is gone, no place to get a good cup of coffee.

AeroTaken

About 3 years ago I was walking into the Kohl's entrance at Waldorf Mall and saw this lovely display of the local culture/demographics. It was just one of those priceless moments that I couldn't let pass by so I took a pic with my cell.

Overall I don't think the mall is THAT bad. I can only think of one time that I felt skeeved out at that mall and that was a woman and her two teenaged kids being WAY to nosey about what I had bought, even asking to see and then she offered the use of her son to carry the bags out to my car and just send him back to Kohl's when he was done. I had told her that I was not even parked near there and she still kept insisting. Who allows their 13 year old to go off with a complete stranger to help them carry bags if they're not being shady? I figured they were just casing where my car was and what I had bought so they could break into it after I went back into the mall.

Attachments

• 06-10-07_1838-2.jpg
    06-10-07_1838-2.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 157

BernieP

Resident PIA
About 3 years ago I was walking into the Kohl's entrance at Waldorf Mall and saw this lovely display of the local culture/demographics. It was just one of those priceless moments that I couldn't let pass by so I took a pic with my cell.
have tiy seen the parking lot outside Walmart in California?

Disco Stu

Shut Up Little Man!!!!
Food courts are a bad idea. Eliminate them and only have real restaurants, and 50% of the problem with rowdy teens and young adults goes away.

ImnoMensa

I went to Arundel Mall the other day, First time there. Except for the Outdoor Store it absolutely sucked. IMO.

bcp

In My Opinion
Or they can eliminate benches so all the old people go away :lmao:
makes sense. here is how a mall fails.
Teens come in and act like idiots, problem is that they dont really have money so they dont spend.
the old people (the ones with money) get tired of it and dont return.
the stores cant survive by taking in the teens allowance money so they start to close one at a time.
mall becomes nothing more than a hangout for teens till it finally closes its doors.

SoMdDude

Springfield Mall in VA is way worse than Waldorf...they have a gang problem there, people stopped going over all..went in there 2 months ago, it was like a GHOST TOWN.....had to walk about 10 store lengths to find one that wasn't boarded up inside the entrance we used....we turned around and left..its reputation got really bad, stores suffered and closed shop. The recession didnt help of course...but the main reason for the malls non success was the gang activity. I've seen nothing like that at the mall here, and have never felt threatened one bit. It does help than I'm a big dude though hehe

Beta84

They're out to get us

Overall I don't think the mall is THAT bad. I can only think of one time that I felt skeeved out at that mall and that was a woman and her two teenaged kids being WAY to nosey about what I had bought, even asking to see and then she offered the use of her son to carry the bags out to my car and just send him back to Kohl's when he was done. I had told her that I was not even parked near there and she still kept insisting. Who allows their 13 year old to go off with a complete stranger to help them carry bags if they're not being shady? I figured they were just casing where my car was and what I had bought so they could break into it after I went back into the mall.

did you actually bring stuff to your car and then go back to the mall or did you hopefully keep all of the bags on you? never a good idea to do drop offs at your car! and yeah that's pretty creepy :lol:

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
I went to Arundel Mall the other day, First time there. Except for the Outdoor Store it absolutely sucked. IMO.
It caters to a totally different type of crowd than down here. I've been there twice and disliked it also. I had lunch with a friend there and walked around it for about a half hour before lunch. Nothing there I was interested in...

As a kid in the 1960's, I used to play on the field where Iverson Mall was built, then watched as they built it. I worked at Montgomery Wards from 1971-72. I watched as it and Landover Mall were gradually ghetto-ized.
I watched as they built the one in Waldorf in the 1990's and watched as it...well you get the idea. The only place I go now in there is Sears...and even then I only go in the daytime and by the outside Sears entrance.

AeroTaken

did you actually bring stuff to your car and then go back to the mall or did you hopefully keep all of the bags on you? never a good idea to do drop offs at your car! and yeah that's pretty creepy :lol:

Well I did take them out to my car eventually, but whenever I have to do that (on a big shopping day) I'll drive out of that parking area and move my car to a different one. I figure anyone watching will just see me drive away and won't know that I just drove around and parked on the other side of the mall and went back in!!!