If you don't stop crying I'm gonna give you a reason to cry

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Does anyone but me use this anymore? I drop the pigs off at daycare this morning and the oldest asks the provider if she let the lizard they caught yesterday go to which she replies that she did. Her 3 year old daughter catches wind of the conversation and goes into hysterics. Crying and screaming until mom tells her that it's really still in the bucket in the garage (lie). So daughter continues with her tantrum that she wants to go out to the garage and see it. Mom tries to reason with her that it's breakfast time, blah, blah, blah. I stayed for a couple minutes to see if there'd be an outcome. There wasn't.

If it were me and my kid was acting like that I'd give them the old line and followed through be it taking something important away or smacking an ass if the crying didn't stop.

And before it even gets brought up, I'm not insecure in my parenting at all and don't plan on diverting from my normal course of action. I just thought it'd be an interesting conversation.

Pete

Repete
pixiegirl said:
Does anyone but me use this anymore? I drop the pigs off at daycare this morning and the oldest asks the provider if she let the lizard they caught yesterday go to which she replies that she did. Her 3 year old daughter catches wind of the conversation and goes into hysterics. Crying and screaming until mom tells her that it's really still in the bucket in the garage (lie). So daughter continues with her tantrum that she wants to go out to the garage and see it. Mom tries to reason with her that it's breakfast time, blah, blah, blah. I stayed for a couple minutes to see if there'd be an outcome. There wasn't.

If it were me and my kid was acting like that I'd give them the old line and followed through be it taking something important away or smacking an ass if the crying didn't stop.

And before it even gets brought up, I'm not insecure in my parenting at all and don't plan on diverting from my normal course of action. I just thought it'd be an interesting conversation.
Stop trying to start a flame war or I will put you over my knee! :really:

pixiegirl said:
I was raised hearing that line and I have used it on occasion as well. :yay:

I've used the phrase, but he doesn't seem to get it yet. Thankfully I haven't had to follow through with it. YET! He's in his whining stage right now and it's irritating. I just send him to his room until he knows how to act like a big boy and use his words instead of throwing a :tantrum:. If he doesn't listen then he gets a thwap on the tush.

Vince

Remember using that one when my kids were young. "If you don't stop crying, I gonna give you something to cry about." :lmao: And I usually did.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
kwillia said:
I was raised hearing that line and I have used it on occasion as well. :yay:
I think I've heard that line (or a varient of it) probably around 87 million times. Hence the reason I don't cry much as an adult.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
CableChick said:
I've used the phrase, but he doesn't seem to get it yet. Thankfully I haven't had to follow through with it. YET! He's in his whining stage right now and it's irritating. I just send him to his room until he knows how to act like a big boy and use his words instead of throwing a :tantrum:. If he doesn't listen then he gets a thwap on the tush.

We've done that to Pete before.

Last edited:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
CableChick said:

That's along the lines of what I do with the babe; he's only 2. The older is plenty old enough to understand and does, 4.5. I just saw the girl this morning throw an absolute fit over something terribly petty IMO and if it were me I'd of not let the tantrum continue. If you want to cry over something foolish you get a warning and then something to actually cry about.

I love the babysitter and don't think she's a bad parent by any means. If I did my kids wouldn't be there. The reason I like her is because I've had a couple sitters that I took the kids out of for being witches. When N was 2.5 he sneezed which ended up in a face full of snot while in the back seat of the car. He tells me "Mom you need to get this $hit off my face!" I reply by asking him to repeat himself to which he did. So I ask him where he heard that and he answers me by saying "Miss Shery told me to come here so she could get the $hit off my face." That was the end of her. This provider is on the opposite end of the spectrum they are VERY loved and spoiled. While I'd rather them not be allowed to get away with murder it's a sacrifce I make because I can counter that at home. I like knowing my kids are safe and loved when not in my care.

That child though, she doesn't have anyone to counter and gets whatever she wants all the time. I don't think there's a real negative (to her) consequence to anything she does. She's a demon! :lmao:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
pixiegirl said:
Does anyone but me use this anymore?
Of course. The only Moms who don't use that line are the ones who wait until their daycare kids' Moms are gone before they slap the ever lovin' #### out of their whiny three year old.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
vraiblonde said:
Of course. The only Moms who don't use that line are the ones who wait until their daycare kids' Moms are gone before they slap the ever lovin' #### out of their whiny three year old.

If you met this child you'd know that's not a true statement. :lmao:

They were over my house a while ago and mom had to leave to pick up the older daughter from her after school activity. I told her she could leave the little darling with me since she'd only be gone 20 minutes or so. I'm at the stove cooking dinner and she comes over pestering me about the cats. She wants to pet them and they're hiding from her in the laundry room. I'd told her that she wasn't allowed to go in and harass them but after dinner I would go in and get one out so she could see it. There's a baby gate up so that the dog can't get to the food or litter box. So little girl is at the door hanging over the gate calling for the cats and running back over to me every 30 seconds to ask if she can go in. I tell her if she asks me one more time I'm going to close the door so she can't even see them. One more time comes and I go shut the door. She immediately starts a temper tantrum and I tell her if she doesn't knock it off that I won't let her see them at all. She immediately ceases. I followed through once and I'm sure she knew I would again.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
pixiegirl said:
I followed through once and I'm sure she knew I would again.
That's probably what happened to the lizard. Mom said, "Eat your dinner or I will chop this lizard into bits right in front of your face. And do you want to be responsible for this lizard being dead? Think how bad Mommy would feel if I had to kill this lizard because you were bad."

No wonder the kid cries all the time.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
vraiblonde said:
That's probably what happened to the lizard. Mom said, "Eat your dinner or I will chop this lizard into bits right in front of your face. And do you want to be responsible for this lizard being dead? Think how bad Mommy would feel if I had to kill this lizard because you were bad."

No wonder the kid cries all the time.

:lmao: :love:

TexasPride77

Eat More Beef, Less Chkn
My daughter is 2 1/2 and I doubt she would understand me had I said that to her. What she does know is what "cry" means. I taught her how to express emotions like "happy" (make smiley face), "sad" (frowning) ...when ever I say the emotions she mimics them. Well, as I said, she understand "cry", so when ever she starts throwing her tantrums....I tell her "no cry"...which works for the most part...she will whimper though...and I expect as much.

When ever she throws her tantrums, however, I have an effective way of handling that. I just give her a firm thump on the back of her head. All of sudden, she forgets why or what she was crying about ....as her focus is now on the pain on the back of her head. She cries...understandably...but she has less frequent tantrums.... I get a whimper, frown, and watery eyes a lot though when she does not get her way...

When she gets older...I may teach her how the board of education is applied to the seat of learning...but that is up for debate between the wife and I for now. I know how I was raised...I know my likes and dislikes...

fttrsbeerwench

:killingme: @Vrai

I used it just last night...

My little one would not stop whining after being put in the corner for allowing my borrowed boy to sneak a juice box in to my bedroom and leave it sitting on my 100 year old dresser:jameo:
Both participated, both were punished.

I said it to him twice before giving him a whomp on the tail and putting him to bed.
Then he had a real reason to :bawl::tantrum:

:evil:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
If you don't stop crying I'm gonna give you a reason to cry

I could swear I heard my father's voice. :killingme

Another one I can still hear... If I have to pull this car over I'm going to tan your hide. :roflmao:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Sharon said:
I could swear I heard my father's voice. :killingme

Another one I can still hear... If I have to pull this car over I'm going to tan your hide. :roflmao:

I remember "Because I said so."