If you happen to need an orthopedic doctor

NOTSMC

wanted to post a shout out for Dr. Lennen with Medstar Orthopedics. I have bone on bone on both knees and eventually will need knee replacement on both. In the meantime, I'm doing gel injections to help cushion the joints. My first injection was with Southern Maryland Sports Medicine - whatever it's called. The shots themselves were horribly painful, like liquid fire going in your leg and the doctor missed the first time and had to reinsert the needle. I screamed when the needle went in, then sobbed through the rest of it. When I finally went back for a check up, the doctor, very bluntly told me you're never going to get any better, you need to sign up for surgery with me ASAP, I have a very busy schedule. I won't name him, but if you've ever had anything going on with a broken bone, you've probably seen him.

So I decided screw you. Made one phone call, got an appointment nearly immediately with Dr. Lennen. First visit impression, very nice man, listened to my concerns, showed me the xrays and explained what everything was. Most importantly, he does gel injections, but firmly believes in numbing the area of the injection. That is something Southern Maryland Sports does not.

Well today was injection day and I've been up since midnight worrying myself sick. My amazing boyfriend drove me to the appointment and came with me to the doctors office for moral support. The doctor explained that he was going to clean the area, spray it with something cold, then a tiny stick for numbing and would remove that tube and stick the gel in using the same needle.

Guys I gotta tell you, I am deathly afraid of needles, actually have nightmares about them. This guy talked me through it, said all the right soothing things, and kept me posted on how much gel was left to inject. Between him and Lee, the whole visit was a big fat nothingburger. And I couldn't be happier about it.

Anyhoo, great guy, lovely bedside manner, very kind, very patient, and knows his stuff. So many bad things get said about Medstar. Dr. Lennen is a superstar.

Oh and on the way out he said pick up your form for a handicapped spot. I protested and he said if you find yourself feeling really sore one day, you're got it, use it.

Last edited:

sunshine98

Do you mean Southern Maryland Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine on Moakley St? I've been getting gel injections there for awhile and fortunately have had no issues, other than occasional wooziness afterward (I hate needles. Especially really really big needles). Previously went to a doc in PF that used lidocaine before the gel. The lidocaine hurt worse than the gel shot.
Sorry you got a bad one.
I've been told eventually the gel will stop helping and I'll be due for replacement parts.

NOTSMC

Do you mean Southern Maryland Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine on Moakley St? I've been getting gel injections there for awhile and fortunately have had no issues, other than occasional wooziness afterward (I hate needles. Especially really really big needles). Previously went to a doc in PF that used lidocaine before the gel. The lidocaine hurt worse than the gel shot.
Sorry you got a bad one.
I've been told eventually the gel will stop helping and I'll be due for replacement parts.
Yeah that was my first injection at that place.

I was amazed at how much it didn't hurt today. The first time I got them, I'm not kidding, the doctor that did it hit my bone and had to pull the needle out and start all over again. Giving birth to twins hurt less than that needle and it seemed like it was in there forever and burned.

I had to ask this guy if he had even started on the gel as I was expecting the same results as the first go round. I hate needles too, whatever that cold spray was I couldn't even feel the needle going in. He did tell me he was going to use a tiny needle and that the gel would be going in a little longer but since I didn't feel the needle to begin with, it really didn't matter.

I know the gel will stop working one day but I keep hoping I'll die before that day happens. I mean I'm old, how much longer can I have realistically. Not sure it's worth it.

Sorry to hear about your knee problems, Sucks sometimes doesn't it?

ginwoman

Yeah that was my first injection at that place.

I was amazed at how much it didn't hurt today. The first time I got them, I'm not kidding, the doctor that did it hit my bone and had to pull the needle out and start all over again. Giving birth to twins hurt less than that needle and it seemed like it was in there forever and burned.

I had to ask this guy if he had even started on the gel as I was expecting the same results as the first go round. I hate needles too, whatever that cold spray was I couldn't even feel the needle going in. He did tell me he was going to use a tiny needle and that the gel would be going in a little longer but since I didn't feel the needle to begin with, it really didn't matter.

I know the gel will stop working one day but I keep hoping I'll die before that day happens. I mean I'm old, how much longer can I have realistically. Not sure it's worth it.

Sorry to hear about your knee problems, Sucks sometimes doesn't it?
Happy for you that you found a good, kind doctor. That means the world when you're in pain and scared. :)

willie

I love him. I mean it.
I've had three hips done (one re-do) and two knees. Three different surgeons, McDonald at Annapolis Medical Center was the best surgeon and staff and Annapolis was the best hospital. Jacobs at Good Samaritan, in Baltimore, was very good but the hospital was the pits.

OldHillcrestGuy

wanted to post a shout out for Dr. Lennen with Medstar Orthopedics. I have bone on bone on both knees and eventually will need knee replacement on both. In the meantime, I'm doing gel injections to help cushion the joints. My first injection was with Southern Maryland Sports Medicine - whatever it's called. The shots themselves were horribly painful, like liquid fire going in your leg and the doctor missed the first time and had to reinsert the needle. I screamed when the needle went in, then sobbed through the rest of it. When I finally went back for a check up, the doctor, very bluntly told me you're never going to get any better, you need to sign up for surgery with me ASAP, I have a very busy schedule. I won't name him, but if you've ever had anything going on with a broken bone, you've probably seen him.

So I decided screw you. Made one phone call, got an appointment nearly immediately with Dr. Lennen. First visit impression, very nice man, listened to my concerns, showed me the xrays and explained what everything was. Most importantly, he does gel injections, but firmly believes in numbing the area of the injection. That is something Southern Maryland Sports does not.

Well today was injection day and I've been up since midnight worrying myself sick. My amazing boyfriend drove me to the appointment and came with me to the doctors office for moral support. The doctor explained that he was going to clean the area, spray it with something cold, then a tiny stick for numbing and would remove that tube and stick the gel in using the same needle.

Guys I gotta tell you, I am deathly afraid of needles, actually have nightmares about them. This guy talked me through it, said all the right soothing things, and kept me posted on how much gel was left to inject. Between him and Lee, the whole visit was a big fat nothingburger. And I couldn't be happier about it.

Anyhoo, great guy, lovely bedside manner, very kind, very patient, and knows his stuff. So many bad things get said about Medstar. Dr. Lennen is a superstar.

Oh and on the way out he said pick up your form for a handicapped spot. I protested and he said if you find yourself feeling really sore one day, you're got it, use it.
My better half has same knee problems, bone on bone. Our family members pretty much all see a doctor in PF. They all have had good results with him. Better half keeps putting knee replacement off. I dont know if he has ever mentioned the gel to her.

NOTSMC

My better half has same knee problems, bone on bone. Our family members pretty much all see a doctor in PF. They all have had good results with him. Better half keeps putting knee replacement off. I dont know if he has ever mentioned the gel to her.
I've had it twice now. The first time it took several weeks before my knees felt better. This time, with this doctor...I don't know what the difference was but the results were immediate. I still walk a little slower than the average person and I have to hang on to the rail to climb stairs, take one step, catch up, one step catch up in going down the stairs, but I'm far less tired when I'm on my feet. Saturday night I was at a Christmas party and all of us were gathered mostly at the island in the kitchen. I was on my feet for nearly three hours and felt fine. That's usually not the norm.

The gel acts like the cartilage that's missing. Not a great solution, but I'm leading a fairly normal life with it.