"I'll effing do it again!!!!"

glhs837

Power with Control
Gwynne Shotwell, not Elon calling it six weeks and they will be ready for Inflight Test #4. Since 3 went so well, I predict even more progress this time.

I'll do it again.jpg

glhs837

Power with Control
Any word on the (I'm guessing) loss of control during the Flight 3 re-entry?

Since both vehicles experienced that.... :)

Booster - seems it hit thicker air and started oscillating, so much that the grid fins couldn't keep it under control. Control algorithm scale up from Falcon not on point? Fuel sloshing down low set the tail to wagging the dog? . Airflow interaction with that huge skirt and 33 engine bells not well modelled?

I lean towards one myself. They have Falcon down to a friken t. Might be scaling that up to something this size has factors they didnt forsee. Did you ever see the Falcon that had grid fin failure? Damn thing calculated it couldn't make they pad with enough control authority safety margin so it redirected off offshore where it fought to the bitter end to land anyway. And did an amazing job of working with what it had to almost make a perfect water landing.

SpaceX flight director explaining over onboard footage.

Offboard

Ship? - Heard a few, no way to parse them. Cold be the exhaust ports for the RCS froze, and doing so in such a way that the exhaust was directed in a bad direction, imparting a spin. Others say SpaceX imparted the spin as part of the refuelling demo. Or to test heating mitigation through presenting both sides to the sun.

In any case, they couldnt stop the spin.

Given we had 4k video of almost everything, and that video data is the lowest prioritized data, SpaceX already knwos what happened. Theres like 6-9 cameras on each stage, not to mention a metric crapton of instrumentation of course.