Illegal hunting - Leonardtown David Few Brian Stitley

Bonehead

White tailed deer had to be reintroduced into Maryland in the 50's due to market hunters. I don't know where you got your information from BB, or are you just being contrary ?

BernieP

Resident PIA
Seems like a clear cut case of a hunting violation. Why go through all that trouble to set up a fake deer if you don't intend to prosecute? Entrapment?

Good questions, surprised they through the marijuana possession charge out as well.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
Not trying to argue with you, just having a discussion. I'm against hunting for pure sport. That seems dumb and cruel to me. If you're hunting for meat, that is more reasonable. Therefore I think hunters who are trying to feed their family while getting rid of overpopulated pests should be able to use any means necessary.
No worries. I would guess that there are really few "sport only" hunters around here. Though maybe tied in with sport and meat gatherer. ie hunter going for that trophy buck but still will freezer what he kills. I really think that not hunting at night is more about safety than anything else. There are many hunters that fill freezers full of deer for use during the whole year. Also, the DNR programs of all states do attempt to mange (regulate) the deer herds and the safest way is during the day. Legal deer hunting hours are 1/2 hour prior to sunrise and 1/2 hour past sunset. There are times when a managed hunt, sometimes at night, are conducted by the DNR to reduce a deer population in a given area. Those deer harvested are given to a feed the needy program.

PeoplesElbow

I would think the charge would be property damage, they could claim they knew the deer was fake and just wanted to shoot it.

General Lee

Spotlighting at night is legal in some Counties (not in Calvert, but I think it is in Charles and St. Mary's). What's illegal is carrying firearms/bows in the vehicle while doing it.

I can't imagine why the charges were dropped, DNR has taken a real hard line the last few years concerning game law violations. Hunting license suspensions, heavy fines, confiscation of equipment and vehicles has been the norm recently.

I quoted you again to clear up any confusion. You said you stated "at one time is was legal". Please show me where it says this. You start out saying "Spotlighting at night is legal in some counties (not in Calvert, but I think it is in Charles and St. Mary's).

I still don't see where it says "At one time it was legal".

littlelady

God bless the USA
What a bitch you are.

Agree. And, it doesn't matter the subject. I have been its target many times, but I don't quite understand that it always has a problem no matter what is said on this forum or the subject, but its responses are always negative. I don't know if tj is a she or he, but I do know that tj is not a happy person. JMO.

But, as far as the subject, I have mixed feelings. I know the deer population can be hazardous to crops and vehicles. But, I live in the woods and we have deer in our yard every day. I have a closeness to them even though my hub is a hunter and they eat my flowerbeds. And, I hear gunshots now and then and know one of those deer have been killed. But, it is the way the world works, and survival and all. I do agree there should be no killing unless it is for food.

Edit: My hub would go elk hunting on horseback when he lived in CO 20 years ago, but he has never hunted in MD since he has lived here.

Last edited:

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I quoted you again to clear up any confusion. You said you stated "at one time is was legal". Please show me where it says this. You start out saying "Spotlighting at night is legal in some counties (not in Calvert, but I think it is in Charles and St. Mary's).

I said "at one time" it was legal. This goes back 30+ years ago when I first moved to Maryland, specifically Calvert County. Coming from PA where it is, or at least was, legal pretty much everywhere I was surprised that it wasn't legal here at that time.

The list of Counties where it was prohibited was in the Guide to Hunting and Trapping in Maryland you get when buying your hunting license. Charles and St. Mary's were not in the prohibited list at that time, although I think Charles may have had some restrictions. I likely have the one from 1984 around somewhere to look at if I felt like it. I don't.

Kinnakeet

I think he meant casting artifical rays of light.

H

Hodr

Seems like a clear cut case of a hunting violation. Why go through all that trouble to set up a fake deer if you don't intend to prosecute? Entrapment?

Wouldn't be entrapment unless the hunting equipment was also provided by the DNR.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Wouldn't be entrapment unless the hunting equipment was also provided by the DNR.

They didn't know the deer was there. They had to cast a light first, then see the deer, then shoot it. They were already engaged in a illegal activity, then moved on to another illegal activity.

Also, DNR doesn't just randomly put a robot-deer on a field. It comes after complaints of illegal activity. Those idiots were doing this for awhile.

Last edited:
H

Hodr

They didn't know the deer was there. They had to cast a light first, then see the deer, then shoot it. They were already engaged in a illegal activity, then moved on to another illegal activity.

Also, DNR doesn't just randomly put a robot-deer on a field. It comes after complaints of illegal activity. Those idiots were doing this for awhile.

What's your point?

I was providing reasoning for this NOT being entrapment (I.E. they brought the equipment so they were clearly already engaging in the activity), why are you adding additional commentary while making it seem that I have an opposing view?

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
What's your point?

I was providing reasoning for this NOT being entrapment (I.E. they brought the equipment so they were clearly already engaging in the activity), why are you adding additional commentary while making it seem that I have an opposing view?

Misread your post. I beg your forgiveness.

bulldog

If I may ...No argument here. I believe farmers can kill them anytime they wish, year round, since they are serious crop destroyers. But that was not the subject of the OP.

Farmers have to get crop damage permits from DNR and those permits have a (very liberal) limit on the number that can be taken under said permit. The farmer (or whoever has the lease) can put an unlimited (I think) number of "authorized hunters" on his permit and their kills go against his total limit. Until this year, crop damage hunting was allowed 7 days a week, but now not allowed on Sunday...thank you horsey people :rollseyes:. It is also not allowed during the birthing time and for a period after that so that the young fawns are able to stay with their mother until such a time that they can make it on their own.

glhs837

Power with Control
Coworker of mine was an -inlaw to one of the Beans in Indian Bridge, they were always taking deer out in the fields.

poster

Really? Christ, I don't hunt and even I know that answer.

"Spotlighting" freezes the deer. It disables their natural flight response. They just stand there and get shot. It is not hunting.

These two broke numerous laws and you think its funny? You of the high horse?

It's also not safe.
The shooters field of vision is limited and affords the possibility of accidents.