I'm wondering...

D

dems4me

vraiblonde said:
It did for King David :shrug: And while he was visited with sorrow by his rotten children, he is a direct ancestor of Jesus.

The Bible says that we are all sinners... he was no exception :shrug:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
If it was written by humans for humans, what sense does it make that they wouldn't understand it? If God really wanted us to spread the Good News, He'd have made it easier for us to know what Good News we're actually spreading.

The one that always gets me is the story of David. How he sent Uriah to death in battle so Uriah wouldn't find out that David had impregnated his wife. Yet David was the exalted chosen patriarch and Uriah, the faithful and honorable warrior, merely died. Even poor Nathan, who confronted David with his hypocrisy, didn't get any glory - he's merely a historian and a Biblical footnote.

The good die and the wicked flourish, and this is according to God's plan? That stuff makes no sense to me from a spiritual standpoint and is just flat out wrong.

It sounds more like Bill Clinton, who lied, cheated and stole, yet is the exalted patriarch of the modern Democratic party, complete with the glory and revisionist history that comes with that honor, while good women and men were persecuted on his way up the ladder.

Do you believe that Bill Clinton is God's chosen son? And if not, why not? He parallels David.
The Bible was written by humans inspired by God. It is a collection of books that are meant to be apprised spiritually and not from the understanding of human wisdom.

Don't you see that the account of David is a lesson for us? David was God's chosen man. He was blessed greatly by God. David started to rely on his own "greatness" and was tempted and succumbed to that temptation. He then repented and was blessed again.

We all are chosen by God. He wants everyone to love and follow His ways. We are tempted to do things that are not God's way. We succumb to the temptation. We repent and accept Jesus as Savior and we are blessed. Very parallel.

The accounts in the Bible show that God can and does use all kinds of people for His work. Moses was a murderer as was David. Rahab was a harlot. Lots daughters had sex with him (incest). God reckoned their belief and repentance as righteousness and forgave them and used them for His work. He provides salvation through His sacrifice as Jesus for all who accept Him.

God loves us all and knows that we all succumb to temptation. He provides the way out - salvation. All we have to do is accept. The way is consistent from beginning to end.

The Bible is full of accounts of those that have fallen away from God and then returned like the prodigal son. And God, like the most excellent father, accepted them, forgave them, and blessed them. The gist of the same story repeats from generation to generation down to us.

D

dems4me

Thanks for all the mental stimulation today and thought provoking questions... it made today go by quick and that's always good for a Friday. Love all of y'all. Have a safe and blessed weekend. :huggy: :howdy:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
It did for King David :shrug: And while he was visited with sorrow by his rotten children, he is a direct ancestor of Jesus.
He is listed as a direct ancestor which I always thought was strange. You see the linage of Jesus which is listed in Matthew is the linage of Joseph, but Joseph was not the father of Jesus. Of course the linage of women was not kept for the most part, so the linage of Joseph was used to track back to Abraham. One of the interesting things about the linage of Jesus through Joseph is that almost all (except for the last few generations before Joseph - all the others had been kings, the linage had to get more common for Jesus to be born in a stable and be a carpenter) of the ancestors of Jesus are mentioned in the various books of the Old Testament. Also, the linage of Jesus is through the linage of David through Bathsheba who had been the wife of Uriah that David had killed. Now how could this be planned in the writing if Jesus was not born when each of the writers of the books that reference these ancestors wrote? But He did exist from the foundation of the world.
John 17:23-25

<sup id="en-NASB-26783">23</sup>I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me.

<sup id="en-NASB-26784">24</sup>"Father, I desire that they also, whom You have given Me, be with Me where I am, so that they may see My glory which You have given Me, for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.

<sup id="en-NASB-26785">25</sup>"O righteous Father, although the world has not known You, yet I have known You; and these have known that You sent Me;
All of the Bible points to Jesus.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
2ndAmendment said:
The accounts in the Bible show that God can and does use all kinds of people for His work. Moses was a murderer as was David. Rahab was a harlot. Lots daughters had sex with him (incest). God reckoned their belief and repentance as righteousness and forgave them and used them for His work. He provides salvation through His sacrifice as Jesus for all who accept Him.
Okay, but I still can't reconcile that in my mind and I don't have the faith to just accept it. All those stories sound very human to me, not divine at all. They sound like someone trying to make excuses as to how some rotten stinkpot can do so many heinous things, yet seem to flourish with riches and success: because God said so, which is the answer to too many questions that heathens like me pose.

Again, I ask: do you think Bill Clinton might be a chosen son of God? Possibly the grandfather of the next Messiah? If what you say is true, then Clinton could surely repent and become as big a religious rock star as David. But I say that it doesn't make up for the ruined lives he left in his wake, any more than David's repentance made it right for Uriah.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Oh. Psalm 51 was written by David seeking forgiveness from God for having Uriah killed and taking Bathsheba.

Psalm 51

A Contrite Sinner's Prayer for Pardon.<header>For the choir director. A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came to him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba.</header>

<sup id="en-NASB-14693">1</sup>Be gracious to me, O God, according to Your lovingkindness;
According to the greatness of Your compassion blot out my transgressions.
<sup id="en-NASB-14694">2</sup>Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity
And cleanse me from my sin.
<sup id="en-NASB-14695">3</sup>For I know my transgressions,
And my sin is ever before me.
<sup id="en-NASB-14696">4</sup>Against You, You only, I have sinned
And done what is evil in Your sight,
So that You are justified when You speak
And blameless when You judge.
<sup id="en-NASB-14697">5</sup>Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,
And in sin my mother conceived me.
<sup id="en-NASB-14698">6</sup>Behold, You desire truth in the innermost being,
And in the hidden part You will make me know wisdom.
<sup id="en-NASB-14699">7</sup>Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
<sup id="en-NASB-14700">8</sup>Make me to hear joy and gladness,
Let the bones which You have broken rejoice.
<sup id="en-NASB-14701">9</sup>Hide Your face from my sins
And blot out all my iniquities.
<sup id="en-NASB-14702">10</sup>Create in me a clean heart, O God,
And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
<sup id="en-NASB-14703">11</sup>Do not cast me away from Your presence
And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.
<sup id="en-NASB-14704">12</sup>Restore to me the joy of Your salvation
And sustain me with a willing spirit.
<sup id="en-NASB-14705">13</sup>Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,
And sinners will be converted to You.
<sup id="en-NASB-14706">14</sup>Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, the God of my salvation;
Then my tongue will joyfully sing of Your righteousness.
<sup id="en-NASB-14707">15</sup>O Lord, open my lips,
That my mouth may declare Your praise.
<sup id="en-NASB-14708">16</sup>For You do not delight in sacrifice, otherwise I would give it;
You are not pleased with burnt offering.
<sup id="en-NASB-14709">17</sup>The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
A broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise.
<sup id="en-NASB-14710">18</sup>By Your favor do good to Zion;
Build the walls of Jerusalem.
<sup id="en-NASB-14711">19</sup>Then You will delight in righteous sacrifices,
In burnt offering and whole burnt offering;
Then young bulls will be offered on Your altar.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
Again, I ask: do you think Bill Clinton might be a chosen son of God? Possibly the grandfather of the next Messiah? If what you say is true, then Clinton could surely repent and become as big a religious rock star as David. But I say that it doesn't make up for the ruined lives he left in his wake, any more than David's repentance made it right for Uriah.
First there is only one Messiah; that is Jesus.

As to Bill Clinton being chosen by God, as much as I dislike Clinton, yes.
Romans 13

<sup id="en-NASB-28268">1</sup>Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
Okay, but I still can't reconcile that in my mind and I don't have the faith to just accept it. All those stories sound very human to me, not divine at all.
They are human stories not much different from anyone. Some are much worse than many of us. Most of us are not murderers, thank God. The Old Testament is a collection of books about people and their relationship with God. It is about what they did and what God did in response. What God said. What people did, either obeying or disobeying. What happened when they obeyed or didn't. The New Testament is the account of God's plan for us. The Bible is there for us on several levels. Many of the accounts can be read and understood at a human level. Much is better appraise at a spiritual level.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think that you're not comfortable with your lack of religion. The reason I think this is because you spend a lot of time debunking Christianity and Christians in general. If you were at peace with your decision, you wouldn't feel the need to sneer at people who DO believe - it would be no sweat off your back and you wouldn't spend one second of your life mocking them.

I also think you're looking for people like 2A, Homesick and Railroad to convince you there's a reason to believe. But the fact is that they don't have all the answers you're looking for - God is a matter of faith and no one else can give you faith, you have to develop it for yourself. They can tell you why THEY believe, but they cannot tell you why YOU should believe in a manner that will satisfy you.

You don't have to buy the whole God/Jesus/miracles gig hook line and sinker. You can embrace the spirituality of Christianity and the peace you will find from the introspection and letting go that a Higher Power provides without believing in ghosts and boogeymen. You can believe in your own way and follow your own path to righteousness - not 2A's path, or RR's path, or even my path.

:smoochy:

Sometimes I am effing brilliant.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I think that you're not comfortable with your lack of religion. The reason I think this is because you spend a lot of time debunking Christianity and Christians in general. If you were at peace with your decision, you wouldn't feel the need to sneer at people who DO believe - it would be no sweat off your back and you wouldn't spend one second of your life mocking them.

I also think you're looking for people like 2A, Homesick and Railroad to convince you there's a reason to believe. But the fact is that they don't have all the answers you're looking for - God is a matter of faith and no one else can give you faith, you have to develop it for yourself. They can tell you why THEY believe, but they cannot tell you why YOU should believe in a manner that will satisfy you.

You don't have to buy the whole God/Jesus/miracles gig hook line and sinker. You can embrace the spirituality of Christianity and the peace you will find from the introspection and letting go that a Higher Power provides without believing in ghosts and boogeymen. You can believe in your own way and follow your own path to righteousness - not 2A's path, or RR's path, or even my path.

:smoochy:

:yay:

well said