Immigration!

acommondisaster

What is American culture? I came here from a foreign country because my mother was born here. Do I have to give up my culture because I was welcomed to this melting pot of people? I do speak English, but I most of the Americans I have met do not. I hear some warped version of English that is accepted as English here. No mind though, I accept American English as a language most choose to speak.

You do realize that immigrants come to this country to make a better life for themselves don't you? You do realize that we are a nation of immigrants!

Please explain in detail what the American Culture is, so that I can adhere to it. The only non-immigrants I know of are the American Indian. Is it that culture you want me to conform to, or some other version?

In the past, people coming to the US wanted to become Americans. Generally what happened was the kids were sent to school and learned English before their parents and eschewed the language of their parents and that was okay, because the parents came here to make a better life for themselves and their kids; it was usually the third generation that would ask questions to their grandparents about the "old country". Traditions melded into what is American. Everyone expected immigrants to embrace their new country and be a member of it. Now, everyone tiptoes around, afraid to offend every unique snowflake. I remember going to school with a couple of Jews, and some 7th Day Adventists - neither celebrated Christmas, but somehow we still had celebrations at school and none of them went home feeling different or offended. We didn't call them holiday cards or whisper "under God" during the pledge, we learned that some people got presents for nearly the entire month of December because of their religion and some got none, even on Christmas, because of their beliefs and it was just accepted as what it was. But no one said one group or another had to act like they didn't do whatever they did because everyone else would be butthurt about it.

I'm not sure what it is anymore, but it used to be that the American Culture was to work hard and get ahead. The beauty of it all was that it didn't matter where you came from, or who your parents were, but with hard work you could be successful. You might from Italy or Ireland or Namibia, but now you were fiercely American. Even those poor huddled masses came here to work their asses off and get ahead and become American. Now, there are some who think they should come here and get stuff - and worse yet, there are people who are already here, who think we should give them stuff - for the rest of their lives.

As far as American Indians, they are not natives, either. They were probably from Asia 14,000 years ago.

mamatutu

mama to two
In the past, people coming to the US wanted to become Americans. Generally what happened was the kids were sent to school and learned English before their parents and eschewed the language of their parents and that was okay, because the parents came here to make a better life for themselves and their kids; it was usually the third generation that would ask questions to their grandparents about the "old country". Traditions melded into what is American. Everyone expected immigrants to embrace their new country and be a member of it. Now, everyone tiptoes around, afraid to offend every unique snowflake. I remember going to school with a couple of Jews, and some 7th Day Adventists - neither celebrated Christmas, but somehow we still had celebrations at school and none of them went home feeling different or offended. We didn't call them holiday cards or whisper "under God" during the pledge, we learned that some people got presents for nearly the entire month of December because of their religion and some got none, even on Christmas, because of their beliefs and it was just accepted as what it was. But no one said one group or another had to act like they didn't do whatever they did because everyone else would be butthurt about it.

I'm not sure what it is anymore, but it used to be that the American Culture was to work hard and get ahead. The beauty of it all was that it didn't matter where you came from, or who your parents were, but with hard work you could be successful. You might from Italy or Ireland or Namibia, but now you were fiercely American. Even those poor huddled masses came here to work their asses off and get ahead and become American. Now, there are some who think they should come here and get stuff - and worse yet, there are people who are already here, who think we should give them stuff - for the rest of their lives.

As far as American Indians, they are not natives, either. They were probably from Asia 14,000 years ago.

I like your post, a lot. As far as Native Americans, yes, this was their land. They came across the Bering Strait and settled and prospered. The White Man took that away from them. But, such is history, war, and sadness. As far as immigrants, I loved my neighbors in Potomac before I moved here. Michelina and Michael were direct descendants from Italian parents that moved here from Italy, but never wanted to speak English. Lina and Mike and their four children totally assimilated. I used to love to go to their house and listen to them talk in Italian. I am all for retaining a culture through family, but when you move to America, you need to be legal, and learn the language which is English. Period. There is a difference when another language other than English is pushed on us, as in Spanish. That is wrong. America speaks English. Period.

Hijinx

Yours is a good post, it should answer rdytogo's post on what American culture is,. but it won't.
He has been here long enough to know what the American culture is, but his attitude has kept the secret from him.
I don't know what country he came from and don't care. If anyone stays here long enough they should become American, if they like their former culture so well I say AMF, go back and enjoy, Be happy, happy, happy.

tommyjo

Does anyone remember when we had a President that spoke like this one?

"In Russia live Russians. Any minority, from anywhere, if it wants to live in Russia, to work and eat in Russia, should speak Russian,
and should respect the Russian laws. If they prefer Shari'ya Law, then we advise them to go to those places where that's the state
law. Russia does not need minorities. Minorities need Russia, and we will not grant them special privileges, or try to change our laws
to fit their desires, no matter how loud they yell 'discrimination'. We better learn from the suicides of America, England, Holland and
France, if we are to survive as a nation. The Russian customs and traditions are not compatible with the lack of culture or the
primitive ways of most minorities. When this honorable legislative body thinks of creating new laws, it should have in mind the national
interest first, observing that the minorities are not Russians." -- Vladimir Putin, the Russian president, addressing the Duma February
4th, 2013. The politicians in the Duma gave Putin a standing ovation for 5+ minutes!

Thank goodness we have never had a President speak like this!!! I can't believe its the 21 century and I am reading a thread with posters who support garbage like this! Well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, those who responded consistently show their ignorance. Where were you people raised?

FollowTheMoney

The American Way

This thread was about Russians telling people to be Russians and how the op says people should adapt to the "American Culture". What exactly is the American Culture? Is it the Culture of the American Indian? The scotts? The English? The Irish? The Italian? The Black culture? What is the American Culture?
I never said that people should adapt to the "American Culture", I said, "The American way, .... and only the American way .... ok?" There is a difference. As other have
so aptly explained. Such as...
In the past, people coming to the US wanted to become Americans. Generally what happened was the kids were sent to school and learned English before their parents and eschewed the language of their parents and that was okay, because the parents came here to make a better life for themselves and their kids; it was usually the third generation that would ask questions to their grandparents about the "old country". Traditions melded into what is American. Everyone expected immigrants to embrace their new country and be a member of it.

What acommondisaster is referring to is the "American Way".

But, we as Americans, being such a relatively young country really do not have a "culture" as so defined when put up against others such as England, France, Russia, Ireland, Austria, etc. That's where the melting pot comes into play.
When people left their home country's, they were leaving because of oppression, political or otherwise, famine, dictatorships etc. They were not looking for a handout. These were proud people that wanted to prove to Americans and people of their own race/country already here, that they could hold their own and not be a burden to others. It took a while to even be fully accepted by their own kind until they proved their own worth. What Putin was saying, as we used to, was we will accept you, but you will follow our laws, and not be a burden to the state. Will will accept your differences and culture, but you will become a Russian, or you will not enter.

Culture, we do not have any when put up against other country's with thousands of years in which to develop theirs.
Actually, America herself is not a county. Each state in the union is a country in of themselves bound by a federation. That's why each state has a State Department. Their own official state flag, flower, bird, etc.. Yup, 50 different countries make up the Union. 50 different young "cultures". Actually, Hawaii being the youngest State/Country of the Union has the most "culture" still practiced by the native people. Remember, Thomas Jefferson would always say when leaving Washington that he is going home to his country when sessions were over.

Hijinx

Thank goodness we have never had a President speak like this!!! I can't believe its the 21 century and I am reading a thread with posters who support garbage like this! Well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, those who responded consistently show their ignorance. Where were you people raised?

So Tommy you believe that we should drop our laws and use Shari-ya laws,and that we should all learn to speak the languages of the immigrants instead of English.You wish us to build a Tower of Babel? Where no one understands anyone else? You believe America should lean toward the primitive ways of the third world invaders. You want us to not place National interests first ,but to place the interests of the immigrants over the interest of the country.

And you call others ignorant??

Rommey

What is American culture? I came here from a foreign country because my mother was born here. Do I have to give up my culture because I was welcomed to this melting pot of people? I do speak English, but I most of the Americans I have met do not. I hear some warped version of English that is accepted as English here. No mind though, I accept American English as a language most choose to speak.

You do realize that immigrants come to this country to make a better life for themselves don't you? You do realize that we are a nation of immigrants!

Please explain in detail what the American Culture is, so that I can adhere to it. The only non-immigrants I know of are the American Indian. Is it that culture you want me to conform to, or some other version?
You shouldn't give up your culture, but you also shouldn't come here and expect "us" to change to accommodate "your" customs and culture.

mudpuddle

You shouldn't give up your culture, but you also shouldn't come here and expect "us" to change to accommodate "your" customs and culture.
That is 100% right on!!!! And our country (USA) is adapting to the Spanish Language. I think this is terrible and shouldn't be...we are changing for them...why is this acceptable? Who gets to decide? We were founded, our country, with the English Language, and so it should remain! Forever!!!!! Immigrants should learn the English language--period!!!!
My grandmother came over from Poland in her twenties, and she learned English, and had a successful life! She worked hard up until the day she died!!! And she was close to 90!
So, why should we treat legal immigrants any different? Learn English! And you know, it is the generations after the original immigrants( their children and grandchildren), who act and behave as if they came over in the boats...and feel as if we "owe" them, or should "give" them everything! We (meaning citizens of USA) do not owe any "race" or culture anything!
If they can not be happy living here, with our laws, etc., then please go back to "their" country...and stop beating us up and slamming down our throats (you know what I am saying), that we need to cater to their needs/wishes/desires, whatever....
my thoughts on illegal immigrants? send them all back...all of them.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Now, everyone tiptoes around, afraid to offend every unique snowflake.

this is why immigration was limited, give people time to adapt ... blend in, when you get 20 million or more in a generation, they tend to group together and no assimilate

and there is political pressure, [your] here illegally why assimilate, .... add Muslims being told not to 'westernize'

rdytogo

My whole point is who are us? For decades "we" have had different American cultures, "ways" or what ever term you want to call it. The Amish have their ways. Hasidic Jews have their ways, Irish immigrants have different cultures that Jamacan immigrants. Russia is a country which has a law stating Russian is it's national language. Russia is not a country made up of immigrants such as this country is. There is a constitution which protects AMERICANS! These immigants who have come here and been naturalized have NO obligation to change who they are! Acommondisaster's post was an excellent post for immigrants who chose to assymilate to the language and "ways" of those around them, but I doubt that was most of their choices. They did that for economic reasons. I know my native language is still spoken in my house and I'm third generation to this country. My great grandparents did what they did not because that is what they felt what being an American meant, but they did that in order to get a job. I remember my grandfather telling me about the ignorance of the so called Americans to my great grandparents. They didn't welcome them with open arms. There were places they could not eat, live, or work! They changed their name in order to be more American sounding, not because of some patriotic yearning, but more of an economic necessity!

So I say again! Who determines what the American Way is? The Amish? Hasidic Jews? Muslims? Catholics? I could go on and on, but I know that too many on these boards aren't broadminded enough to think about others, and will stick to the belief that states immigrants coming to this country have to do things their way or they are not American enough.

Hank

my war
I like your post, a lot. As far as Native Americans, yes, this was their land. They came across the Bering Strait and settled and prospered. The White Man took that away from them. But, such is history, war, and sadness. As far as immigrants, I loved my neighbors in Potomac before I moved here. Michelina and Michael were direct descendants from Italian parents that moved here from Italy, but never wanted to speak English. Lina and Mike and their four children totally assimilated. I used to love to go to their house and listen to them talk in Italian. I am all for retaining a culture through family, but when you move to America, you need to be legal, and learn the language which is English. Period. There is a difference when another language other than English is pushed on us, as in Spanish. That is wrong. America speaks English. Period.

:killingme

Vince

You need to realize that the system in this country can no longer support the influx of illegal immigrants coming into this country. We can no longer give away free medical care, food, housing, etc. to 10 millions illegal immigrants with a load of criminals among them. There's not enough taxes to cover this. IT DOSENT' WORK ANYMORE.

rdytogo

You need to realize that the system in this country can no longer support the influx of illegal immigrants coming into this country. We can no longer give away free medical care, food, housing, etc. to 10 millions illegal immigrants with a load of criminals among them. There's not enough taxes to cover this. IT DOSENT' WORK ANYMORE.

This thread is not about ILLEGAL imigrants. Before you tell me what I need to realize, I suggest you read the entire thread.