InstantPot

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Looking to buy one and am confused about which size to get and the number of things it can do options.

Whatcha got? :popcorn:

I have the 6 qt. I didn't want to limit myself, and I like to cook and freeze. I didn't go 8 qt because it just seemed like throwing money in the wind. I'm actually glad I didn't, I read just today that there are problems with melting with some of the 8 qts.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I have the 6 qt. I didn't want to limit myself, and I like to cook and freeze. I didn't go 8 qt because it just seemed like throwing money in the wind. I'm actually glad I didn't, I read just today that there are problems with melting with some of the 8 qts.

That's what I was thinking as I don't see a need for the bigger size. But in that size there are '6-in-1', '7-in-1','8-in-1', '9-in-1', and '10-in-1' options. Plus all sorts of accessories you can buy so now I am REALLY confused.

glhs837

Power with Control

Same here, we got the 6qt Duo, but I'm not sure the extra modes are worth the extra cash as most of my cooking is done using manual settings. Now, about that 8 qt melting thing.... Read closer. If it's what I think it is, thats actually the 8-in-1 Gem "Multi-cooker", NOT the 8qt instant pot. The problem is that the instant pot FB post about the issue links directly to InstantPot.com, not the actual 8 in 1 Gem cooker page. So people halfway read the text, see the image, which shows the IP, not the oval slow cooker, and get the misconception.

Here's the CR page on the recall

https://www.consumerreports.org/instant-pot/instant-pot-gem-8-in-1-multicooker/

Ah, looks like they fixed the FB post.....

https://www.facebook.com/instantpot/photos/gm.1831848933575753/1567223176658400/?type=3

mAlice

professional daydreamer
That's what I was thinking as I don't see a need for the bigger size. But in that size there are '6-in-1', '7-in-1','8-in-1', '9-in-1', and '10-in-1' options. Plus all sorts of accessories you can buy so now I am REALLY confused.

I dunno'. I haven't graduated to advance IP yet. I went to WalMart. They had a 6 qt for 69. and an 8 qt for 79. I wasn't thinking about adding parts yet. I'm lucky I've managed to use it without blowing the roof off the house. After I got it all loaded up the other day, I made excuses for like an hour before I turned it on. My mom blew up a pressure cooker when I was a kid, so I'm a reluctant navigator.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Same here, we got the 6qt Duo, but I'm not sure the extra modes are worth the extra cash as most of my cooking is done using manual settings. Now, about that 8 qt melting thing.... Read closer. If it's what I think it is, thats actually the 8-in-1 Gem "Multi-cooker", NOT the 8qt instant pot. The problem is that the instant pot FB post about the issue links directly to InstantPot.com, not the actual 8 in 1 Gem cooker page. So people halfway read the text, see the image, which shows the IP, not the oval slow cooker, and get the misconception.

Here's the CR page on the recall

https://www.consumerreports.org/instant-pot/instant-pot-gem-8-in-1-multicooker/

Ah, looks like they fixed the FB post.....

https://www.facebook.com/instantpot/photos/gm.1831848933575753/1567223176658400/?type=3

Yep, that's it. My mistake.

glhs837

Power with Control

Here's a good breakdown.

https://www.hippressurecooking.com/which-instant-pot-model-is-right-for-you/

Budget is a concern, but if you have the cash and devices drive you a bit nuts, then the Ultra is supposed to have the most intuttive interface. Our Duo, which is the Duo Plus, I do use the Egg function all the time :)

glhs837

Power with Control
I dunno'. I haven't graduated to advance IP yet. I went to WalMart. They had a 6 qt for 69. and an 8 qt for 79. I wasn't thinking about adding parts yet. I'm lucky I've managed to use it without blowing the roof off the house. After I got it all loaded up the other day, I made excuses for like an hour before I turned it on. My mom blew up a pressure cooker when I was a kid, so I'm a reluctant navigator.

some nice to have things I think I'll be getting soon include a steamer basket, as fishing the trivet out when it's holding two racks of ribs scares me. Not scared of being burnt but loosing the ribs :( And some stacked containers to cook tow things at once unmixed. Oh, and a seven inch cake pan to make a bigger cheesecake :)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Looking to buy one and am confused about which size to get and the number of things it can do options.

Whatcha got? :popcorn:

I have the 6 qt Ultra 10-in-1. You probably don't want to go smaller than that.

This thing has more presets than I will ever use. Mostly I use pressure, slow, steam, and saute. Everything else you can do manually just as easy. As long as you can set the temps for each feature you should be good.

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I have the 6 qt Ultra 10-in-1. You probably don't want to go smaller than that.

This thing has more presets than I will ever use. Mostly I use pressure, slow, steam, and saute. Everything else you can do manually just as easy. As long as you can set the temps for each feature you should be good.

Thanks and it is either that or the Duo Plus. More research but at least I have narrowed it down to size and a couple of models. :lol:

glhs837

Power with Control
Oh... this was the InstaPot thread... I missed the topic switch...:lol:

The topic gets confused because Instant Pot makes the 8 in 1 Multi Cooker tat is the subject of the overheat and melt recall. So people, not knowing that IP makes anything but Instant Pots, assume any recall from IP means Instant Pots.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
We had pork ribs for dinner, cooked in the instapot. Giorgio, Maria & Giuseppe was it ever good. Best part is the time savings. 20 minutes or so in the pressure cooker then on the grill slathered with sauce to finish.

Fall off the bone tender without all the fuss and time investment.

If you own 1 of these amazing tools you owe it yourself and your family to run out and get you some pork ribs. You will be thanking me later. Marinate them for half a day, cook them in the pot then toss on grill. Easy peasy as they say. And we have leftovers!

littlelady

God bless the USA
We had pork ribs for dinner, cooked in the instapot. Giorgio, Maria & Giuseppe was it ever good. Best part is the time savings. 20 minutes or so in the pressure cooker then on the grill slathered with sauce to finish.

Fall off the bone tender without all the fuss and time investment.

If you own 1 of these amazing tools you owe it yourself and your family to run out and get you some pork ribs. You will be thanking me later. Marinate them for half a day, cook them in the pot then toss on grill. Easy peasy as they say. And we have leftovers!

I have been on the fence about this Instapot thing, but the more I read on the forum, the more I am convinced to get one. I am a hard sell cuz I am so financially frugal. If ribs can be made in such a short amount of time, it has to save elec vs the oven. We throw the ribs on the grill to finish them off, too.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
No kidding

ribs.jpg