Interest in Establishing a Dog Park

woodchuck70

I'm your huckleberry!
Just as an update this was sent out

Dear Dog Park Enthusiasts-

At a budget work session on Monday, May 16 the Board of Commissioners voted not to include the proposed off leash dog area at Lancaster Park in Lexington Park in the County's FY'06 budget. R&P had proposed that $25,000 in State Program Open Space grant funding designated for park development be used for this project. The Commissioners decided these funds should be used for other park facility priorities instead. As a result, the dog park will not be done in the coming year and the project's future is uncertain.

During the budget discussion I informed the Board that we had received numerous emails and calls from residents requesting this facility and that our neighboring counties have either constructed a dog park or are planning to do so. However, the Board wasn't convinced that a dog park

was something that public funds should be used for.

To achieve your goal of having a dog park in the County it would seem that more public advocacy and involvement is needed from dog owners. I would encourage you communicate with one another and coordinate your efforts. I'm happy to meet with dog park enthusiasts to discuss this. Please let me know if you have any questions about this or if I can be of further assistance.

Phil Rollins, Director
Recreation, Parks & Community Services
301-475-4200 x1812
phil.rollins@co.saint-marys.md.us

bernsm

I am a board member of St. Mary's Animal Welfare League and we just received notice of this decision today. I have made a request to the entire board that we lead a coalition to get a dog park established in St. Mary's County. I will keep you posted as things develop. If we proceed with this undertaking, we will need much support throughout the canine-loving community. Thank you.

Maureen Bernard

bernsm

I received the e-mail below from a friend today and he has given me permission to post it here. If you are interested in seeing an off-leash dog park established in St. Mary's County in 2006, please contact the Board of Commissioners and as noted below, it must be done today. My apologies for the short notice. Thank you.

Maureen Bernard

-----

At a budget work session on Monday, May 16 the County Board of Commissioners voted against a proposal in the St. Mary's County FY 2006 budget to establish an off leash Dog Park at Lancaster Park in Lexington Park. As a result, the dog park will not be developed during the coming year, and the project's future remains uncertain. Communication from County residents voicing the needs for a Dog Park are urgently needed to prompt County Commissioners to reconsider priorities. County residents are asked to e-mail or call their respective Commissioners regarding this issue.

The Commissioners are: Thomas F. McKay (President), Kenneth R. Dement (District 1), Thomas A. Mattingly, Sr. (District 2), Lawrence D. Jarboe (District 3), and Daniel H. Raley (District 4). The telephone number is 301-475-4200 x1352; Email can be sent to: bocc@co.saint-marys.md.us .

Please cc: Phil Rollins, Director, Recreation, Parks & Community Services, on coorespondence. He can be reached at 301-475-4200 x1812, phil.rollins@co.saint-marys.md.us . During the past year, Mr. Rollins had received numerous emails and calls from residents and groups supporting the Dog Park. Mr. Rollins advised the Board that neighboring counties have either constructed a dog park or are planning to do so.

Please consider sending your message in favor of the establishment of a County Dog Park to the County Board of Commissioners. Also, please consider passing the message on to your friends. Your message is needed by Tuesday. Many thanks.

Very Respectfully,
Dale Sakahara

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Elementary school? Middle School? Dog Park?

Glad I'm not a County Commissioner.

PS. Who let the dogs out?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why doesn't someone start a dog park as a commercial enterprise? Make it like a doggie country club or something with social areas, activities for the pooches, a dining facility, obedience training - stuff like that. That would be a viable business and you could really make a living if it were a top-notch establishment. Shoot, someone already running a kennel could expand into this without breaking a sweat.

As most of you already know, I'm big on private businesses as opposed to government run crap. :biggrin:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
vraiblonde said:
Why doesn't someone start a dog park as a commercial enterprise? Make it like a doggie country club or something with social areas, activities for the pooches, a dining facility, obedience training - stuff like that. That would be a viable business and you could really make a living if it were a top-notch establishment. Shoot, someone already running a kennel could expand into this without breaking a sweat.

As most of you already know, I'm big on private businesses as opposed to government run crap. :biggrin:

Three thoughts come to mind:

1) Have you seen the price of land lately?
2) Zoning
3) No way this is a viable business in a rural area.

Maybe a Public Dog Park would be patronized in an area where a mass of people already live, like Wildewood, or maybe somewhere in Lexington Park. Maybe one would be patronized at one of our existing parks, but I imagine the ball players (soccer/baseball/softball, etc) would prefer to have another field.

Myrtle Point Park would be the best place, since we basically have nothing going on there. The location would be fairly convenient for Lex Park, California and Hollywood residents. Maybe even those in Leonardtown. I think there is a committee being formed to develop a plan for Myrtle Point park. Now, your efforts would be better directed at that planning process. Trying to influence the budget numbers this year just isn't going to happen, because we do need school buildings.

(Not to mention that the email for the budget worksession posted above happened 2 weeks ago! Commissioners are finalizing the budget at today's meeting, so it's basically too late anyway.)

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Oz said:
1) Have you seen the price of land lately?
2) Zoning
3) No way this is a viable business in a rural area.
That's why I was thinking about an already existing kennel expanding their business. They've already got the land and are already zoned for it. Plus they'll have a built-in clientele. I'm picturing Applejack up in Charlotte Hall - that would be convenient to St. Mary's AND Charles. And it wouldn't be too bad for Calvert folks, either.

As far as 3), you're probably right. Most dog owners have a house and a yard (I would guess, otherwise you'd have to wonder why they got the dog in the first place). Besides, Spirit already said she/he has a dog park available for $10 a month. That's cheaper than heck, so why have the county allocate funds for something that's already available for such a reasonable fee?

No offense against dog owners but I get annoyed when something silly like this is proposed to suck up revenue that could be better used for something else. It's like that skate park that was all the rage at one time - if it were a viable use of county funds, someone would have come up with a way to do it as a business.

K

Katie

I sent an email also. I drive up to Charles County right now, but would like not having to drive up north.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
I have also sent an email - for what it is worth.

I also have counter opinions to those presented, but, I'll leave it at, I have also sent an email...

:fingerscroseedforadogparkortwo:

Giddy up!

I know of two dog freindly parks in the area.. not sure if there off the leash parks or not.. any way Greenwell State Park is where i take my dog.. and Anne Marie Gardens is awesome.. and I see a lot of people walkin there dogs there.

sdm

Just got the word: "For your info. A dog park will be installed at Lancaster Park. Probably no later then the spring of 07, maybe as early as the fall of 06."

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
Where's Lancaster Park? I don't see it on my map. We go to Grays Road in Calvert but it's a little far.

R

rallwine2000

dog beach

You can take your dog on the beach at Point Lookout. It's the beach on your left before you go over the causeway.

sdm

No, there is probably no press release, yet. The quotations are taken from an email my boss sent me this afternoon. When I questioned if it is factual, he told me is 98% factual. Phil Rollins needs to send a letter to Program Open Space and get their "go ahead" since Lancaster Park property was purchased with some of Program Open Space funding. My boss and Phil went to look at two dog parks in Charles yesterday. Lancaster Park is John G. Lancaster Park located on Willows Road in Lexington Park.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
No Commissioner meeting this week. If this is true, I'm sure there will be an announcement, ground breaking, ribbon cutting, etc...

Doesn't Lancaster Park have a crime problem? :confused:

sdm

Parks Maintenance have started clearing the site. It is at Lancaster Park in the back across from Field #5 in the wooded area.