Involvement at Church

What is your level of involvement with the local church?

• I never attend church.

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • I attend on special occasions (holiday services, etc.)

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • I attend from time to time, but not regularly.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I don't attend weekly, but I attend services often.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I attend services weekly.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I'm at the church almost every time the doors are open.

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
K

Kain99

Re: You 're not alone, bro.....

Originally posted by penncam
I ain't gonna try to preach to ya, I'm not qualified, and besides, I think I've made enough of of an @$$ of myself trying to discuss what I've learned so far on here anyway.

So they finally got to ya. :frown:

MDindef

Kain99 & penncam

You should understand that I'm the "3rd string" in my church. I don't get to preach every Sunday, so I get in when the "starter" and the "2nd string" are both on IR. But if you're interested, I'll let you know when I do that next. Until then, I lead a group of 50 - 60 during the Sunday school hour.

K

Kain99

PM with your Church Info. We have attended... "My church since my husband and I were married." Completely my thing but Poppa has issues with a few of the more controversial beliefs held by The Penecostal Church. I think it would be nice to try something a little less over the top... just to see what he thinks. :smile:

demsformd

I have been a devote Roman Catholic my whole life. I attended St. John's when I grew up every week and continued to attend at a church called St. Luke's when I went to college. While I lived in Montgomery County 15 years ago, I attended Mass every day.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Hey, Budo!

Originally posted by BudoPo
I go to a synagogue, not a church. Can I still vote? :smile:
You're darned skippy you can. We've always known that the main book in your faith is the Torah; well gee that's the first five books in the Bible, right?

I would say go ahead, man:howdy:

Last edited:

BudoPo

Re: Hey, Budo!

We've always known that the main book in your faith is the Torah; well gee that's the first five books in the Bible, right?

It just depends on if you read it from left to right, or right to left. :smile:

Cari, I've been busy with various home projects and the like. I've been secretly sneaking around the threads every so often, though.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Originally posted by kwillia
:lol: My husband takes my kids to church (I don't do church)... he came home one Sunday and said the priest said he was not happy to see all the 'ones' in the basket collections and he thought they all needs to dig a little deeper for the 5's 10's and 20's. :rolleyes:

Now that is something that bothers me greatly. Yes.. I understand tithing if possible...BUT from what is said...in the bible...you do not get into heaven by works...so omm would that not be considered a "work". Some ministers and or preist never cease to amaze me.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Now MD-- to answer your question. I am one of the 4 that voted that I go on a weekly basis. I go every sunday....try not to miss. But every sunday my butt is ploped right there. Now see the thing with where I go to church....

A) the pastor does not preach fire and brimstone. He does not believe on acting like a higher up against anyone. He is human as well as the rest of us..and he also believes that talking in a normal everyday manner...as you were having a conversation with someone comes across much better than preaching to them and telling them what to do.

B) Our church is very up-to-date on the happenings in the area, and have and strive to have a wonderful youth group. MAN! If I had older kids, half of the stuff they do, I would like to do now! LOL :lol: Im a kid at heart I suppose. :smile: But they also give the good moral standpoint to them also...and they always let them know.. if you mess up..just correct your self and "try" not to do it again. They dont forever exile you. Which I like.

C) Vrai, memeber when you spoke about that pastor on tv, Joel Olsteen or something like that. Pastor Stan reminds me of him alot. Very outgoing, but not pushy. Very uplifting, but not overbearing. Very thought-provoking, but looks at other points of view.

Ok...so that is all I have to say about that. So yes, I attend every week, because I feel welcomed, and friendly persona on everyone, no fire and brimstone, teachings for everyday life are devoted, and they respect you for who you are...not what you do. (or how much money you give for that matter) :wink:

SmallTown

Football season!
I have a friend who used to be a hardcore church goer. Then one day he found out his pastor was having an affair with his sunday school teacher.

Funny how small things like that can change your opinion on a subject.

Actually, my friend had the hots for the sunday school teacher as well. So I don't know if he thought the affair was lacking in every single christian moral, or if he was just jealous that the pastor was knocking boots with his hopeful girlfriend. I'll have to ask him about that.

K

Kain99

Originally posted by SmallTown
I have a friend who used to be a hardcore church goer. Then one day he found out his pastor was having an affair with his sunday school teacher.

Funny how small things like that can change your opinion on a subject.

This happens everyday. People tend to put their Faith in people. When people fail (and they always do) Parishoners make a mad dash for the door.

It's terminally sad.

MDindef

Originally posted by Kain99
This happens everyday. People tend to put their Faith in people. When people fail (and they always do) Parishoners make a mad dash for the door.

It's terminally sad.

Well said Kain99. People, even best friends, spouses, deacons, pastors, are susceptible to failure. It's good to have a forgiving God.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Are there suckers in the Congregation?

I wanted to share an anecdote our Class Leader told us at last Sundays' meeting:

One guy says to another: "I suppose because you are a Christian, you feel you're better than the rest of us?"

The other guy replied: " No, what that means is I can screw up just as easily as you can."

Some people have the perception, it seems, that just because we call ourselves Christians, we're no longer supposed to do wrong, have designs, or be susceptable to the other "seven deadlies".

I have news for those people: We are human, and we are all sinners just like anybody else.

All we are saying is that we have asked God into our lives and have, or are trying to let Him show us the way; because we've figured out that we can't or don't want to do it by ourselves anymore. We're not doing it very well, and we are asking for His help.

Last edited:

MDindef

Originally posted by bluto
...and suckers in the congragation.

Well, I guess by that you mean that I and several others are fools. I don't mind being counted in their number. I'm sorry to know that your experiences in churches and with church people have lead you to take the position you're at now. I won't start a debate on the issue, since you are so resolute. But if you're that confident in your position, you'd better hope you're right about it.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
All we are saying is that we have asked God into our lives and have, or are trying to let Him show us the way; because we've figured out that we can't or don't want to do it by ourselves anymore. We're not doing it very well, and we are aking for His help.
Some do it because of those reasons and others do it simply by faith.

SmallTown

Football season!
Re: Are there suckers in the Congregation?

I wanted to share an anecdote our Class Leader told us at last Sundays' meeting:

One guy says to another: "I suppose because you are a Christian, you feel you're better than the rest of us?"

The other guy replied: " No, what that means is I can screw up just as easily as you can."

Some people have the perception, it seems, that just because we call ourselves Christians, we're no longer supposed to do wrong, have designs, or be susceptable to the other "seven deadlies".

I have news for those people: We are human, and we are all sinners just like anybody else.

All we are saying is that we have asked God into our lives and have, or are trying to let Him show us the way; because we've figured out that we can't or don't want to do it by ourselves anymore. We're not doing it very well, and we are aking for His help.

For too many people use the church as a crutch or excuse. Too many "christians" knowingly and willing follow the sinful route, but then feel better about themselves because they go to church every sunday. Just like a person going to AA meetings and still drinks like a fish. They feel better for going to the meetings, but it really isn't helping much.
The God I know and believe in i'm sure is disgusted with the notion of "Commit sin but go to church every sunday and it won't matter"
I believe God is a forgiving God, with limits. You can't continue to piss on his creation then keep saying you're sorry.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Re: Re: Are there suckers in the Congregation?

I believe God is a forgiving God, with limits. You can't continue to piss on his creation then keep saying you're sorry.
:yeahthat:
In other words, don't make the same mistakes twice. If you keep on doing what you're not supposed to, and figure you can, because God will forgive you each time you ask --you are a :loser:

K

Kain99

Re: Re: Are there suckers in the Congregation?

For too many people use the church as a crutch or excuse. Too many "christians" knowingly and willing follow the sinful route, but then feel better about themselves because they go to church every sunday.

Human Beings are fallible. Some use the Church to fool themselves or to fool others. Others truly strive to be good Christians and follow the teachings of the Bible.

While you have a good point about the failures of the human race, It is virtually irrelevant since our focus should be on God. :wink: