Is this wrong of me?

ginwoman

I have something else to add.

I think there are "types" of folks who are always looking for a bit o' trouble, or to be disagreeable just because, or just to slightly dump on someone else's day. These folks are in all walks of life -- blue collar to white collar.

Your landlord should not be phoning tennants to chastize them. I would NEVER do that to anyone who is renting from me, and I'd be disgusted if a property managment company that I may use, did that to a tennant. If the heat is out, people are feeling it and want it fixed. I think your landlord did the right thing to get someone to fix it as prompt as possible, and him pulling a few family strings does NOT deserve some huge award of effort. He should have listened to input from Cousin Tech Repairman and just kept his mouth closed. Instead he chose to personally call you and chew you out? In my opinion, he made quite the arse of himself.

I am the landlord and let me just say you all have no idea what I have put up with for the last few months with this woman. Thank you to GWGuy, cattitude, Fed up, Jhns64.....you all hit the nail on the head. She jumped the repair man as soon as he arrived. And he was right, she was lucky he was there at all. This is a very busy time of year for him. Rest assured if anything else needs repair at this house the window of time will be 7AM to 7PM or so.

County_Boy

You, the customer, are never over-reacting when you have someone you are writing a paycheck for treats you like dirt. I don’t think it’s too much to ask that people that provide service do so with respect and dignity. Being on time isn’t always possible, but treating us with respect is.

But she did not call the repairman, She did not contract with the repairman for his service, She did not directly pay the repairman.

The Repairman was called by and paid by the Landlord.

She had no business relationship with the repairman at all.

Any grievance she had would have been with the landlord
not the repairman.

I hope you don't need any further repairs because you might be
waiting for that repairman for a long while.

I am the landlord and let me just say you all have no idea what I have put up with for the last few months with this woman. Thank you to GWGuy, cattitude, Fed up, Jhns64.....you all hit the nail on the head. She jumped the repair man as soon as he arrived. And he was right, she was lucky he was there at all. This is a very busy time of year for him. Rest assured if anything else needs repair at this house the window of time will be 7AM to 7PM or so.

I was going to post this earlier, but felt I put enough of my 2 cents in already....

But:

Rule 1: The customer is always right.

Rule 2: The customer may always be right, but the vendor always gets revenge. Don't tick off the person who may be the only person to help you out in the next crisis.

And Gin... you just proved my point.

ladyhawk

I called your office a few times,I wasn't sure if you were coming or not,and the guy says "Be grateful I showed up at all". Not sorry we were late,nothing...........
I genuinely don't think I am wrong here,but we all have things that we need to improve,so maybe I am.

You handled it much better then I would have. That comment, "Be grateful I showed up at all".... would have gotten him thrown him out of my house and a phone call to the landlord (family member or not) requesting someone else......

I have friends that I could stay with until the system could be fixed. Regardless of his reasoning, family member or not, that was completely uncalled for. There are plenty of others out there that need the work and because they do, wouldn't have treated you that way... Customer Service used to be important but continues to go downhill more and more each year. I just don't tolerate it anymore and if more people wouldn't tolerate it, maybe it would get better with time.....

I am glad to hear that he was more cordial, you handled yourself just fine...

June

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE
Are you serious? 45 minutes late from a repair guy who's probably running his fool butt off fixing everyone else heaters too during one of the longest cold snaps we've seen in a long time?

It's not exactly easy to call ahead to alert you to them being late when they are probably elbow deep in fuel oil and soot.

Yes, over-reaction.

:yeahthat:

edinsomd

FWIW, I called the first well service company that popped up on my browser when my well quit on Sunday. The man who answered said they didn't service St Mary's, even though their web site said they did- which I mentioned. I asked if he had a referral in the local area, which he did and gave me the 1-800 number. I thanked him and hung up. He then called me back, apologetic, and said he got the number wrong and gave me the corrected number.
Now that is a courteous and professional tradesman!

And a 45 minute slip is perfectly acceptable considering the conditions.

xobxdoc

I opened the door,said that I was wondering if they were going to come at all and said I had called the office several times. Not much more to tell. After I said that he retorted with his comment,and I said he was wrong. Not much else happened,like I said I felt it was done and over with until the call from the landlord. The landlord did say that the service guy told him I jumped on him,which I guess,yes,since I said it immediately,could have been construed that way.

If it were anyone else but you starting this thread I would agree 100% in what you said. I ran a service type business for 5 years in the Outer Banks and I had the reputation for being on time all the time and calling in route to let the customer know I would soon be there. 99% of the customers were a pleasure to work for. Then there were those 1%ers, no to be confused with the Hell's Angels, who know matter what you did they would find fault and complain. I'm thinking this guy knows about you. Based on your posts, you seem to be very high maintenance. Loosen up the nipple clamps and mellow out! Maybe then you will get the courtesy calls.

annemayer

I really had no idea you felt that way about me. The past few times we have spoken have been cordial and fine,I thought. I helped you with suggestions for your mom,etc. There have been things that have been needing repair here but nothing we have caused and we have always paid you on time.

Last edited:

ginwoman

I really had no idea you felt that way about me. The past few times we have spoken have been cordial and fine,I thought. I helped you with suggestions for your mom,etc. There have been things that have been needing repair here but nothing we have caused and we have always paid you on time.

You know what "annemayer"? we have always been on top of any repairs that need done.....but you have pissed off and offended just about anyone that has come there to help. Your lease will not be renewed....and if I can legally get out of it sooner, I will.

And your right, I did ask your opinion on some things when my mother was very sick....after all your a "RN" right? I have been trying to keep our relationship normal and cordial but have found that it is not possible.

n0n1m0us3

why so serious

Very professional of you. Annemayer I'm sorry you got yourself a slumlord.

annemayer

You know what "annemayer"? we have always been on top of any repairs that need done.....but you have pissed off and offended just about anyone that has come there to help. Your lease will not be renewed....and if I can legally get out of it sooner, I will.

And your right, I did ask your opinion on some things when my mother was very sick....after all your a "RN" right? I have been trying to keep our relationship normal and cordial but have found that it is not possible.

Fair enough-I don't feel I have done anything to make you want to end our lease,but I am glad to know where you stand. I never said anything about you not making repairs. A public forum is not the place to discuss our lease,so please check your email.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
Fair enough-I don't feel I have done anything to make you want to end our lease,but I am glad to know where you stand. I never said anything about you not making repairs. A public forum is not the place to discuss our lease,so please check your email.

See YOUR the one that started this thread, not the land lord. Your kind of the one that opened up this can of worms, not the Landlord.

BOP

People that do this type of work I would guess are very busy this time of year. 45 minutes late sounds very reasonable to me, and yea you should have kept your mouth shut and been grateful he showed up at all. Your fault the owner is kind of ticked off. Making a visit to the DRs office is quite different, you get there and anyway guess what, you still wait, but your on time wasting time when you could have been doing something else. I too call when not making appointment to the DRs office, the type of service he does is way different and you should have, so he rushing to drive to your house and yea he would appreciate someone calling his cell phone so he can get a ticket. Being punctual does make a person look good but #### happens. Actually I would apologize and say I was frustrated having my kids in the cold, which you were who would not be.

Some of you keep forgetting that the time-frame was between 12 and 2. That means that the minimum amount of time was 45 minutes. The maximum time he was late was 2 hours and 45 minutes. In otherwords, the earliest she should have been expecting him was 2 hours and 45 minutes prior to his actually showing up. Get it? That's a long, long time to try and keep children warm in a house that was probably near freezing. You all do know what hypothermia is, don't you? You do know children and elderly people are way more suseptable to it than most of the rest of the population, don't you? I can't believe some of you have to have this explained to you.

To the OP: I would suggest that you do as I have done, and that is procure emergency heat, just in case. I seldom have to break it out, but it's there for times like this. Have a plan, friend girl. Have a plan.

As to the manners thing, you weren't wrong or off base. The likely scenario was that the landlord's relative was doing the repairs gratis or much reduced, and he wasn't happy to meet with your so-called "attitude." Tough bounce. Landlord has an obligation. Plenty of rentals out there if he doesn't need the money. Wait til warmer weather and move out if it comes to it.

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE
So if someone has to work in your home,you just expect them to be late? And feel ok if they don't even acknowledge it? I am very glad I posted this now..I am seeing a lot of other perspectives here. I don't want to be a jerk about this issue, and I appreciate you all giving your input.

Ideally this should not be common place, but unfortunately it is. You really should find some more important things to obsess about, maybe like what your children are doing while you spend so much time on the forums.

n0n1m0us3

why so serious
But annemayer YOU are the one who brought this problem to the
public forum

The problem she brought to the forum was about the lack of courtesy of a phone call by the service people.
The landlord is running a business, and her remarks in this forum are ridiculously unprofessional. I feel sorry for anyone who is renting from that kind of hack.